Change of Scenery League - Season 4 Topic

Roberto Kelly 94 Braves/95 Expos, NL please
2/1/2013 3:19 PM
The Blacklist is ONLY for the "Main Player" right? So we CAN have Blacklisted players on our team, they just can NOT be our traded guy?
2/1/2013 3:40 PM
Posted by toddcommish on 2/1/2013 2:51:00 PM (view original):
Quick question for research:  Baseball Reference considers a "purchase" to be a trade (essentially trading money for a player).

Are purchased players eligible?
I will take Mudcat Grant, Purchased/Traded (whatever) from the Cards to the A's in 1969-70. Free Agency did NOT begin until the FIRST free agents signed - Andy Messersmith/Dave McNally in 1975 - until then, any time a player went from one team to another, he was technically "Traded" away, according to baseball reference. I agree with toddcommish - essentially trading money for a player - was what happened before FA began?
2/1/2013 4:02 PM (edited)
I'll take AL for Duke's Demons
2/1/2013 5:18 PM
Bill Skowron  11/26/1962 traded from the Yankees to the Dodgers. Put me in AL
2/1/2013 6:46 PM
Purchased/traded - this has come up before... I'd like to stick to "traded," since that's what we've been operating under and we already have some teams in the league. We can debate the question in the league message board once the season starts, but for now, let's stick to traded, not purchased.

go_pre... Correct. You can have those guys on your team, but that particularly trade - in that particular direction - cannot be used again.
2/1/2013 8:20 PM
dlchow - hate to do this to you, but the Odalis Perez/Brian Jordan trade Braves to Dodgers was already used.
2/1/2013 8:22 PM
Alright - to make things easier since it's easy to not see at first glance all the players involved in a trade, I ordered the blacklist by year. Hope that helps as the list gets bigger.
2/1/2013 8:37 PM
Sorry, didn't quite get the exclusivity of all of the players going in the same direction of a trade. I did see that Jordan had been used previously.

I'll have to research another one! Probably won't be a Perez this time...

2/1/2013 9:15 PM
OK, one more kick at the can. Chris Stynes, 2000 Reds and 2001 Red Sox.
2/1/2013 10:52 PM
Ok, Grant was Traded from the Twinkies to the Dodgers 1967-68, I will use that Trade.

BUT, this raises another question...  Grant was traded FOR Ron Perranoski & Johnny Roseboro - they were never teammates - but were involved in the trade, this means we can NOT use them, right?
2/2/2013 5:35 AM
I think they are not available because they were not on the teams that your focal player was on.  Numbered item 3 in the initial post makes the point that someone else could, in this example, make a team based on Roseboro - the other direction with two different teams to be twisted.
2/2/2013 9:32 AM
Tsuyoshi Shinjo 2001/2002 Mets/Giants, NL
2/2/2013 10:31 AM
Good question good_beef... And good answer mamxet!

Right - someone else could use Perranoski or Roseboro, Dodgers/Twins '67-'68
2/2/2013 8:08 PM
Does the teammate have to be WiS eligible in the seasons surrounding the trade or just have appeared in some games in real life?

Using an example from a blacklisted player 97 Dave Justice trade...Kerry Ligtenberg pitched just 15 innings so no eligible 97 season but has later seasons to be twisted to.
2/2/2013 11:50 PM
◂ Prev 1234 Next ▸
Change of Scenery League - Season 4 Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.