Former NFL player comes out Topic

The media hoopla is the problem. No one should even care.

If someone says "I'm gay" or "I'm straight" or "I like to sing and dance in a tutu when I'm by myself" or WHATEVER, it should be the same as if they said "I like to drink beer" or "I like collecting sports memorabilia" or "I'm a member of a country club".

It shouldn't draw any attention whatsoever. It's just not a big deal.

Being gay or straight or whatever isn't someone's entire identity, and should never be considered as such. The problem is some people, especially in the gay community, try to project their sexual preference as being much of their identity, and that furthers the stereotype.

2/1/2013 10:57 AM
Culliver came off sounding like a bigoted tool, unfortunately. The issue (on both sides of the equation) is people's inability to separate the lifestyle from the person. I oppose homosexuality - that doesn't make me a gaybasher or a hater of homosexuals. I have no problem with gay people - I just disagree with their lifestyle choice. That's it.

Unfortunately, a lot of people with those views also express them in a way that makes themselves easy targets. The media gets them talking and they take the bait.

If I was a player, nothing other than a guy's character and playing ability would matter from a teammate standpoint. I'm sure a lot of straight players would be into stuff I'd want nothing to do with (wild unprotected orgies, drug abuse, PEDs, gangs, etc.). You can disagree with a behaviour without hating a person.

And totally agree that the media is what drives this. Often, those who aren't even in the target audience of the comments in question are the ones driving the accusations and frenzy.

2/3/2013 5:48 PM
Yep.  Just heard on ESPN that a current player is "thinking" about coming out.    It's news because someone is "thinking" about it.

Media circus. 
3/26/2013 10:42 AM
ROMO THE ****?
3/26/2013 10:48 AM
◂ Prev 12
Former NFL player comes out Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.