WHEN WILD BOARS ATTACK? Topic

Again, swamp has a point but he dicks it up. 

HCAW aren't the weapon of choice for crazy killers.   We have exactly one instance where they were(unless you want to argue Aurora, at which point I'd say "He fired about 30 rounds with his HCAW and wounded/killed 70.  That's not a majority" and move on).    While it's certainly reasonable that one COULD kill more people with a HCAW than a handgun or a shotgun, that's not what they're using.   It's reasonable that a car packed with explosives and detonated in a crowd COULD kill more people than a HCAW but, again, that's not what's being used. 

So, to save swamp from himself, there's no evidence that a HCAW ban would reduce mass shootings.
1/29/2013 8:36 AM
I'll repeat, while a HCAW ban isn't necessarily a bad idea, it's just a "feel good" action for the gun control advocates.

"We did it!!!  We did something!!!!   Kum-ba-ya, my lord, kum-ba-ya....."
1/29/2013 8:38 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 1/29/2013 8:38:00 AM (view original):
I'll repeat, while a HCAW ban isn't necessarily a bad idea, it's just a "feel good" action for the gun control advocates.

"We did it!!!  We did something!!!!   Kum-ba-ya, my lord, kum-ba-ya....."
So an HCAW ban isn't a bad idea. And you have argued that we should restrict the manufacturing/pricing of assault weapons.

But doing those things is just a feel good move? Then why are you arguing for them?

1/29/2013 11:59 AM
I'm not arguing for them.  I'm fine with the status quo.

But, because the bleeding hearts are in "WE GOTTA DO SOMETHING!!!" mode, I have no problem with restricting their sale.   Then, once people realize that it did nothing, we can go back to where we were.

That said, I have no problem requiring that ALL guns are registered and anyone possessing an unregistered weapon gets significant prison time. 
1/29/2013 12:36 PM
Anyway, except for Conspiracy Guy, there's no reason a law-abiding citizen would object to registering their guns.
1/29/2013 12:41 PM
Unless you're swamp, and jump from point A (a HCAW ban) directly to point Z (tanks rolling into your neighborhood to oppress the Constitutional rights of all decent Americans).
1/29/2013 12:57 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 1/29/2013 12:41:00 PM (view original):
Anyway, except for Conspiracy Guy, there's no reason a law-abiding citizen would object to registering their guns.
Anyway, except for people who feel like a small caliber rifle is the best defense against mutant boars, there's no reason for a law-abiding citizen to own an assault rifle.
1/29/2013 1:12 PM
The reason people oppose registration is simple logic.

What advantage does it give to stop crime

vs

The disadvantage.

The vast majority of gun crime in America will not be stopped by gun registration. It will have zero impact.

If you want to round up all your citizens guns you need them all registered.
1/29/2013 1:46 PM
Are you really that paranoid?
1/29/2013 2:15 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 1/29/2013 1:12:00 PM (view original):
Anyway, except for people who feel like a small caliber rifle is the best defense against mutant boars, there's no reason for a law-abiding citizen to own an assault rifle.
I don't know why people want to own AW.   Nor do I know why people collect Yu-gi-o cards.   However, I'm not comfortable saying "You don't NEED a Yu-gi-o card!!!"

I'm sure you don't NEED a steak for dinner but, if you can afford one and that's what you want, have yourself a big ol' steak.   None of my business.
1/29/2013 2:26 PM
Posted by swamphawk22 on 1/29/2013 1:46:00 PM (view original):
The reason people oppose registration is simple logic.

What advantage does it give to stop crime

vs

The disadvantage.

The vast majority of gun crime in America will not be stopped by gun registration. It will have zero impact.

If you want to round up all your citizens guns you need them all registered.
That's not really the point of registering guns.   The point is the 2nd part.   Huge prison sentences for possessing an unregistered gun.  You know criminals aren't registering their gun.   And, far too often, they plea down their sentences because the prosecuting attorney feels their case might not be that strong.    There's no blurred line with possession of an unregistered gun.  You either have it registered or you don't. 
1/29/2013 2:28 PM
Where's taint?   He should be called me stupid about now for misspelling yu-gi-oh.

1/29/2013 2:39 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 1/29/2013 2:26:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bad_luck on 1/29/2013 1:12:00 PM (view original):
I don't know why people want to own AW.   Nor do I know why people collect Yu-gi-o cards.   However, I'm not comfortable saying "You don't NEED a Yu-gi-o card!!!"

I'm sure you don't NEED a steak for dinner but, if you can afford one and that's what you want, have yourself a big ol' steak.   None of my business.
Your opinion is that there is no reason a law abiding citizen would object to registering their guns.
My opinion is that there is no reason a law abiding citizen would need to own an assault rifle.

You're comfortable with your opinion. I'm comfortable with mine.
1/29/2013 2:47 PM
The difference being that a law-abiding citizen COULD still own a gun he WANTED under my scenario.   You've decided that he doesn't NEED one.

Less rights coming from the lefties.    I thought you guys hated to restrict the rights of people.
1/29/2013 2:50 PM
He could own a gun in your scenario as long as he's willing to register it.
He could own a gun in my scenario as long as he's willing to buy a legal one.
1/29/2013 3:57 PM
◂ Prev 1...21|22|23|24|25|26 Next ▸
WHEN WILD BOARS ATTACK? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.