What do you think of WAR? Topic

Not really.  The fact that the O's pitching was good enough to get them into the playoffs with a mediocre offense doesn't change the fact that the offense was mediocre.
2/7/2013 8:22 PM
Posted by AlCheez on 2/7/2013 8:22:00 PM (view original):
Not really.  The fact that the O's pitching was good enough to get them into the playoffs with a mediocre offense doesn't change the fact that the offense was mediocre.

Toronto, Oakland, Baltimore finished 7,8,9 in runs in the AL last season. Their respective HR rankings: 5,6,2. Their respective rankings in slugging: 8,9,6.  Their respective OBP rankings: 13,12,11.

Conversely, the Indians were 6th in the AL in OBP, 12th in HR and 13th in slugging...and 13th in runs.

That would seem to suggest, in at least a small way, SLG is more important.

2/7/2013 8:29 PM
Based on a sample size of 1?
2/7/2013 8:32 PM
I'm not going to go back and check every year, but I suspect the results would be similar. Top 5 teams are the best offenses - good SLG and OBP. Middle tier (6-9) high slugging, low OBP teams...next tier (11-12) decent OBP, weak slugging...bottom feeders (13-14) terrible all around.
2/7/2013 8:35 PM
Posted by Jtpsops on 2/7/2013 8:30:00 PM (view original):
Posted by AlCheez on 2/7/2013 8:22:00 PM (view original):

Toronto, Oakland, Baltimore finished 7,8,9 in runs in the AL last season. Their respective HR rankings: 5,6,2. Their respective rankings in slugging: 8,9,6.  Their respective OBP rankings: 13,12,11.

Conversely, the Indians were 6th in the AL in OBP, 12th in HR and 13th in slugging...and 13th in runs.

That would seem to suggest, in at least a small way, SLG is more important.

Well, that's a different argument than I was responding to.   Aside from the sample size concerns, relative ranks aren't necessarily all that telling.

Cleveland was behind all of those teams in OPS by at least 9 points, which means those teams all had much bigger advantages in slugging than Cleveland had in OBP.  Proving that 2 points of slugging is better than 1 point of OBP wouldn't make SLG more important.
2/7/2013 9:14 PM
And I should say, for the record, that I don't really have a dog in this fight.  I believe that, statistically, OBP does have the higher correlation to runs, but you can't look at either of them in a vacuum.
2/7/2013 9:34 PM
◂ Prev 123456
What do you think of WAR? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.