Foolishness of Redshirting Topic

I agree with you that in real life, it is to the student's benefit to RS if he has not played during the season.

But I also agree with everyone ... I would loophole the hell out of that at Div-1 by not playing a guy and having him redshirt at the end of the season.
1/16/2013 12:54 PM
Posted by hughesjr on 1/16/2013 12:54:00 PM (view original):
I agree with you that in real life, it is to the student's benefit to RS if he has not played during the season.

But I also agree with everyone ... I would loophole the hell out of that at Div-1 by not playing a guy and having him redshirt at the end of the season.
And this is where the admins need to stop neglecting this game, and put some time into the engine, framework, and logic.  For instance, a five start recruit should expect to play and play immediately no matter what!  5 star recruits dont go to UNC to ride the bench. However a 3 star recruit should never go to UNC expecting anything his first year unless its a bad team to start or he drastically improves during the season.

I dont think its too much to ask, to put a little more into this game.  Its been basically stale for the better part of 3 years with a few tweaks springled in here or ther to keep us all interested.  Hell I wouldnt even be against a pilot world with a lot of the suggested changes.  Obviously you cant make everyone happy, but the game is getting awfully stale...
1/17/2013 9:13 AM
Real life college basketball is VERY complex. D1 programs can have 13 scholarship spots; D2 can have 10 equivalent spots (combinations of full time and part time); and D3 is not allowed to offer any athletic scholarships, but can offer academic scholarships, (so much for offering a 2.0 GPA recruit a D3 scholarship in WIS). There are no roster limits with walk-ons. A team can redshirt a player even after the start of a season, you can redshirt as many players as you like, and you can actually redshirt a player for a max of 2 seasons. Transfers happen all the time but have to sit out a season before they can play, and teams can offer a scholarship to a player for one season and not the next. This happens all the time with transfers and walk-ons. Players graduate early and can transfer to another team and play right away without sitting out if they have their degree. Coaches promise a ton to some recruits and not as much to others, and these promises get broken, causing WE issues and transfers. Coaches leave programs and players will many times follow them or leave the team.

There is nothing simple about the real world game. So the question is: How close can we, or do we want to try to get to real life with HD? I think it needs to be simple, but the way the game is set up right now seems way too simple. There is definitely some room to enhance the game, especially at D2 and D1. I no longer play D2 or D1, but there is no reason not to add a bit more complexity to the game as you step up to D2, and even more complexity in D1. That is the way it is in real life.
1/20/2013 12:20 PM
I'm disappointed this thread got back on topic. I was hoping to find out what DII bachelors degree I could get to make 100K out of college.
1/20/2013 7:27 PM
Commish, I agree with what you say regarding the game. Just want to point one one RL thing -- D3 schools can't offer ATHLETIC scholarships, but offer all sorts of "merit," "leadership," "presidential" scholarships and whatever else they want to offer to dominate at their level. Not all do, but many do. Having "no" scholarships to those schools simply means they have "no limits" on scholarships. They recruit, and if you think many don't have undue influence on who they can get in school (by talking to finance and admissions) and what on kind of aid they get are just uninformed. And the NCAA has no interest in investigating all those D3 schools.

Back to topic: I would like to see more complexity to this game at the higher levels, since those "coaches" have mastered the basics at D3 and should be able to understand more difficult nuances at the higher levels. 

1/20/2013 8:07 PM
Yea, Dnox.  I was just making a smart *** comment with the "(so much for offering a 2.0 GPA recruit a D3 scholarship in WIS)" comment.  10 years ago when I was doing college visits with my son, I was amazed that a D3 school had much more to offer than the D2 and D1 schools to attract him to run track.  D1 and D2 were all just partial scolarships for books, meals, etc.  My son got a couple scholarship offers from the D3 school, for a lot more money.  I would imagine major sports athletes would have been offered even more. Of course the D3 school was also interested in having him play football too even though he didn't in high school. At 6'2", and 170, with his speed, they thought there was a lot of potential.
1/20/2013 9:45 PM
Of course, he picked the ony D1 school that only offered him a shot at being a walk-on in track, and ended up deciding not to do any sports once school started. haha
1/20/2013 10:50 PM
◂ Prev 1234
Foolishness of Redshirting Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.