Update Status - 1/14/13 Topic

I am currently working on turnover yardage and have a few other things to tidy up before we start up beta.  The rest of this week, other than getting a few of those other things worked on, I will be working on getting beta set up.  When I'm confident we have everything we need in place to roll beta out to run in parallel with the live site, I'll set a hard date to begin beta.

I am going to roll out beta knowing there is still some work to be done on the play results, but I'm hoping having a bunch of people looking through a bunch of game results and providing feedback will be better than me alone trying to test the engine.  So there may be some funky stuff come out of the engine initially, but I hope to get things ironed out in the first season of beta and then maybe have one more season to further iron things out and maybe work on some enhancements.  There are also a few things I left out of the initial engine test, the biggest being penalties.  I hope to work those into the engine during the early part of beta.

When beta is launched, I'll post more about the specifics of what kind of feedback would be most helpful and any items that aren't really ready to test like penalties.

1/14/2013 1:50 PM
1/14/2013 2:43 PM
Two snaps in a circle with a twist!!!
1/14/2013 2:45 PM
Thanks for the update on the update.

1/14/2013 2:49 PM
Awesome, thanks Norbert!
1/14/2013 3:01 PM
Posted by bhouska on 1/14/2013 2:43:00 PM (view original):
1/14/2013 3:12 PM
So how is the players ratings gonna be during this beta? Is all the players on every team have the same ratings so we can get a better feel for the gameplanning or will their ratings be different like in the other worlds? Just wanting to know because I just thought if every team had the same players and ratings we could get a better feel on how the engine works.
1/14/2013 3:15 PM
Posted by ginobili04 on 1/14/2013 3:15:00 PM (view original):
So how is the players ratings gonna be during this beta? Is all the players on every team have the same ratings so we can get a better feel for the gameplanning or will their ratings be different like in the other worlds? Just wanting to know because I just thought if every team had the same players and ratings we could get a better feel on how the engine works.
Whoa did somebody nice hack gino's account, he didn't call norbert a scum sucking troll or something along those lines.
1/14/2013 3:29 PM
I think it would be great if the player ratings were very diversified. In other words if we had 3 TE's, one that was a better blocker, one a better receiver and one kind of "tweener". Maybe a running QB and one a better passer, a couple of very fast LB's, maybe different types of RB's, one a better receiver, etc. This way we could get an idea how the different line-ups will work, how to use our blocking backs and better receivers out of the backfield, etc.
1/14/2013 3:41 PM
1/14/2013 4:24 PM
Posted by coach_deen on 1/14/2013 3:41:00 PM (view original):
I think it would be great if the player ratings were very diversified. In other words if we had 3 TE's, one that was a better blocker, one a better receiver and one kind of "tweener". Maybe a running QB and one a better passer, a couple of very fast LB's, maybe different types of RB's, one a better receiver, etc. This way we could get an idea how the different line-ups will work, how to use our blocking backs and better receivers out of the backfield, etc.
Yea but what I'm saying is every team have those type of players but every player (running QB, pocket passer, HB, FB, DE, DT, OLB,ILB, CB,S all have their own different ratings but every team have the same amout of players and the same variety of ratings to each player. Say my SR. LB has the same exact ratings as your Sr. LB and my best RB has the same ratings as your best RB. Get what I'm saying? Don't really know how to explain it.
1/14/2013 4:48 PM
I think you'll be pleased with this update, then.
1/14/2013 5:03 PM
Posted by ginobili04 on 1/14/2013 4:48:00 PM (view original):
Yea but what I'm saying is every team have those type of players but every player (running QB, pocket passer, HB, FB, DE, DT, OLB,ILB, CB,S all have their own different ratings but every team have the same amout of players and the same variety of ratings to each player. Say my SR. LB has the same exact ratings as your Sr. LB and my best RB has the same ratings as your best RB. Get what I'm saying? Don't really know how to explain it.
yeah, I get what you're saying. Not a bad idea!
1/14/2013 5:16 PM
Posted by ginobili04 on 1/14/2013 4:48:00 PM (view original):
Players will be generated as they are now, so you will have the same type of player pool you have now.

If a few people want to convert their players to "all 50s" or whatever is level appropriate, we could look into that.  Playing even teams would be a good way to test game plan settings, and is in fact what I do when testing the engine.  However, I can only test so many situations in the time I have so having more people testing those would be great.  Opening it up to a few wouldn't really help in the normal schedule, but it would allow you to test against even teams (or even teams all +5/+10 higher or lower than yours) with the Testing page that allows you to run a game against any two teams.  The best testing part of that would be running your own team against itself, which would allow you to test specific offenses against specific defenses.

With the normal processes running in beta, I can try to set up players with all the same ratings for some teams, but I'd have to double check to see if I can turn off player development for them so they stay at those ratings.

1/14/2013 5:31 PM
Test your team against your team would be a great tool.
I like that idead for beta Norbert.
1/14/2013 5:49 PM
1|2|3...9 Next ▸
Update Status - 1/14/13 Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.