How bad would a guy with 9 Range, 18 Glove, 68/61 be at 1B?
1/8/2013 1:40 PM
Probably pretty bad.  Not in terms of errors, but minus plays, and impact on the other IFs.
1/8/2013 1:50 PM
Horrible.  But there is a topic penned by MikeT23 about using a C or DH in RF
1/8/2013 1:52 PM
Thanks.

Just found Mike's thread... maybe I'll just throw him in RF.
1/8/2013 2:01 PM
No, not a DH as they tend to be failed 1B with 20/25/31/26 ratings.   You need the arm.

But, yeah, fling a C out there.   I'm playing one, at least as a platoon, in 4 of my 5 worlds.  They aren't killing me.
1/8/2013 2:21 PM
What about in LF? My RF is pretty good (65/67/79/71) but my LF is 62/51/71/64 i suppose I could move him to 1B?
1/8/2013 2:23 PM
No, LF emphasizes range in the engine.  RF emphasizes arm.  That's the loophole.

Move your LF to 1b, and your RF to LF to make room for this guy in RF.
1/8/2013 2:28 PM
Good to know thank you iain
1/8/2013 2:37 PM
If you're in a pitcher's park, you'll hardly notice the difference between a C and a standard RF.   It's a bit more dramatic in a hitter's park.
1/8/2013 2:51 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 1/8/2013 2:51:00 PM (view original):
If you're in a pitcher's park, you'll hardly notice the difference between a C and a standard RF.   It's a bit more dramatic in a hitter's park.
Wouldn't this be opposite? Call me crazy, but I feel like in a more spacious pitchers park, the lack of range for a RF would hurt a lot more than if he were to play in bandbox. That said, if the ball simply is put in play more in a hitters park because of RNG, then that changes things. 
1/8/2013 3:38 PM
It's more like the overall suppression of offense in a pitcher's park, and the odd miscue won't be such a big deal.
1/8/2013 3:50 PM
"Spacious" doesn't really come into play, since you're dealing with probabilites of events, not actual park dimensions.

Example: You will occasionally see homeruns hit that don't actually get over the ballpark's fence, in terms of feet travelled.
1/8/2013 3:52 PM
Posted by iain on 1/8/2013 3:53:00 PM (view original):
"Spacious" doesn't really come into play, since you're dealing with probabilites of events, not actual park dimensions.

Example: You will occasionally see homeruns hit that don't actually get over the ballpark's fence, in terms of feet travelled.
That's what my guess was on this, but I figured maybe Mike mistyped since real life baseball logic would say that more area to cover having poor range = more hits that drop in/go over your head/split the gap. Thanks for clarifying. 
1/8/2013 3:57 PM
Yeah, it's like a greater percentage of balls hit to RF will be outs in a pitcher's park, but a few more will drop with a poor range RFer.

Arbitrary, crude, totally made up number example:

Say, 50% of balls would typically be outs in a neutral park.  A pitcher's park might be more like 70%, hitter's park more like 30%.

A catcher in RF would bring those numbers down, say, 5-10%.

The effect in a pitcher's park would still be net better (fewer hits) than a neutral park, but in the hitter's park it would start to get out of hand.

At least that's how I figure it works....
1/8/2013 4:18 PM
I'm basing it off what I've seen happen with my C in RF stats.   I'll post them when I get back from the gym.  

Of course, I might feel like a tool because I haven't ran any of them since mid-season or last season.
1/8/2013 4:59 PM
12 Next ▸

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.