defensive agressivness? Topic

^^ this
1/3/2013 8:19 PM
Posted by genuvar on 1/3/2013 5:02:00 PM (view original):
Depaul runs Dime Defense vs run all the time? It looks like he runs a mixture of 4-3 and Dime to me.

On top of that it looks like Louisville's (Depaul's last opponent) running wasnt exactly shutdown.. the RBs averaged over 5 yds per carry.
I stand corrected.... I should have said: Runs Dime Defense vs run 'a lot' instead of 'all the time'. You're not supposed to take what I type literally!!!

Let's take a look at the numbers... This is Dime vs run only... Also, only looking at teams with a guess rating of 30 or better.

Kinda interesting... Read and React:

Att. Yards  Avg  Guess
Vs. OSU 19 70           3.68 16
Vs. PSU 5 10           2.00 1
Vs. U Conn 12 79           6.58 24
Vs. Louis 18 66           3.67 9
Vs. Minn 14 51           3.64 29
Vs. UNC 10 127         12.70 14
Vs. Tenn 21 98           4.67 5
Vs. WVU 20 64           3.20 22

Total 119 565           4.75  

Why are these all over the board? Is the Dime good or bad vs the run? Why did the Dime Defense stop everyone except UNC and UConn? Uconn had a 6.58 avg with a 36 yard run. Take that away and the avg is 3.91. UNC had a 24 yard run and a 64 yard run. Those are the only 3 runs over 20 yards. Take those away and UNC has a 4.88 avg. Take all 3 away and the total avg would be 3.80.

I'm interested in both sides of argument... Does game planning mean nothing or something? Does his recruiting of players mean anything? If his team is built to stop the run... would he be any worse vs the pass? Should we look at more stats?

PS. Thanks Yatzr - I donated tonight.....
1/3/2013 9:59 PM (edited)
Vs formation

Att. Yards  Avg 
VS I 26 132           5.08
Vs ND Box 2 6           3.00
Vs. Pro 34 170           5.00
vs. gun 1 2           2.00
vs. trips 56 255           4.55

119 565           4.75

1/3/2013 9:43 PM
The same Dime Def Built to stop the run?) vs the pass:

Att Comp % Yds Avg / comp INTS
277 154 56% 1460 9.48 17

1/3/2013 10:07 PM
Someone said, "I feel like game planning makes a difference about 90% of the time. The other 10% I just go "What the heck just happened?". I agree with this 100%, but isn't that exactly like real football? Any one that has ever played or coached the game past the Jr. High level knows this. Like they say, "That's why we play the game".
1/4/2013 10:42 AM
I think you nailed it.... Not sure if the number is 90% - or whatever... I think game planning / recruiting / Formation IQ  etc... all come into play  - but there is that 10% (or whatever number) inconsistancy/randomness/Luck - that throws everyone for a loop....

I commend ERMackey - I think he found a scheme that works and has maximized his chances of winning. I would hate to see the randomness hit him...
1/4/2013 11:00 AM
Posted by teamville on 1/3/2013 4:12:00 PM (view original):
Posted by harriswb3 on 1/1/2013 10:51:00 PM (view original):
Posted by fastec27 on 1/1/2013 10:26:00 PM (view original):
Game planning doesn't matter.
I have to totally disagree.  Game Planning is not the ONLY thing that matters, but  it is ANOTHER one of the many levers you can use to further increase your chances of a victory.

Example:  If give me Dime/Always Pass/Very Aggressive....vs my Always Run wishbone, I will absolutely shred you.  Many other examples can be made as well.
Ermackey's Depaul team in Yost D1 runs Dime Def vs run all the time and shuts the run down... He plays top notch competition (SOS #1) and is ranked #1 right now at 9-1....

Check it out..... and then explain..... I'm curious as to what others think...
Discussion of a Dime-based....run stuffing defense.....at Depaul.  Excellent work WIS.
1/4/2013 1:59 PM
I have played ermackey now for 4 years and have some success against him. I was leading at half this year until he had a couple of big runs. Otherwise I pretty we'll shut down his wishbone with 4-3 always run/ aggressive (whoops now he will change up on me) oh well. I change my first down offense at half time and I should not have. I went balanced and I should have stayed running. Lesson learned. Ermackey also has a lot of seniors so he has a high formation IQ which could contribute to his success. Lots of factors contribute but on the end he is a good coach and puts very competitive teams on the field
1/5/2013 8:58 PM
Nothing to see here. Just continue what you were doing.

Look. I am not going into detail, but here is my basic philosophy. I can not outrecruit the elites and am in area of heavy competition. Therefore, I have to find a niche, recruit players to play that my system. This often means looking at players that other teams would never recruit because they have talents that meet my formation and aggressiveness settings strategy.  If I was to adopt a traditional gameplan and then recruit against Notre Dame, Michigan, Nebraska, Tennessee, Ohio State, and Penn State for players, I would lose every time.

When they change the engine, I will find another niche and do the same thing.
1/23/2013 10:37 PM
I think I finally figured this game out with your guys help. You would think if a team always passed out of a certain formation and you matched them speed wise then Always pass balanced or aggressive would work. I have practiced with moving my players closer or farther away from the scrimmage line depending how I match up speeed wise and have had better success then with Always pass. Thanks to all the vets.
1/30/2013 4:27 PM
I took this thread's advice with all three of my teams this season and tried to set up 'bump and run' aggressive defenses by putting more 'run' settings than 'balanced' or 'pass' and overall was pleasantly surprised.  My passes defended went up, my interceptions went up, but my sacks dropped.  I may have also been a little less aggressive though in some settings.

Keep up the good work sharing here.  Now I need to work on my offensive game planning...

2/4/2013 10:09 PM
◂ Prev 12
defensive agressivness? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.