My nomination for MORON OF THE CENTURY! Topic

How many have to die before it rises above "relativly (sic) moderate cost" and to the level of "brutal war"?
1/10/2013 3:01 AM
Again every soldier lost is a tragedy.

We can examine past wars and how many casualties we have per year.
1/10/2013 3:13 AM
past wars we were fighting real dangers these wars we were fighting who exactly?  nobody that could threaten any of us for real.  Why is it that the Iraq war has cost us the most of any wars besides WW2?  Saddam wasnt worth it!!!

1/10/2013 10:41 AM

So now the left is on board with Vietnam and Korea as real dangers?

There was a threat. There was a global terror network and we drew them into the Iraq war. Fighting them there meant we were not fighting them here.

Iraq may not have been the focus, but we needed to attack something and Iraq was the biggest threat. Saddam had actually used WMDs.

1/10/2013 12:37 PM
You know what Swamp, stop thinking that just because one lefty says something that that is what the whole left thinks.  I am an individual not part of the Borg collective.  Did I say ALL past wars we were fighting real dangers?  I suppose you could read into my statement what you want.  The only wars (in modern time) that I think were necessary were the world wars.  Germany was a real threat both times, especially the 2nd war.  Since then its all been regional skirmishes really.  But the US and or the "allieds" deemed it necessary to escalate it.  Wars should be the last resort, not pre-emptive crap that Bush loved so much.  Obama is having a hard time getting out of Afghanistan and Iraq because everybody over there hates the US so much that they are fighting back.  I shouldnt say everybody, Id think the vast majority just want it to end, but the "terrorists" sure arent going to forget it.  And we can thank uncle Bush for that.
1/10/2013 1:33 PM
1 I appreciate the Star Trek reference.

2 Korea may be marginal, but opposition to the Vietnam war was pretty common among the left.

3 I think it is more that "Read into it" to say your comment meant all wars. You can retract your statement or change it but you did say it.

4 No one wants to argue the 2 world wars. The first Gulf war was needed and had a clear exit strategy. The left still knocks it. Maybe not you but the left in general.

5 We were hit on 9/11 becuase of resentment of America action by Muslim extremists. How much did that change after the Iraq war?
1/10/2013 2:19 PM
My nomination is the American people. 

I win.

1/10/2013 2:54 PM
1.  I am a nerd...  :)

2.  What is wrong with opposition to a war?  Should we all just be blind sheeple like repubs and just follow the leader when he wants to go to war?  As Ive said War should be the last option, I dont think we tried hard enough politically to stop tensions or slow the spread of communism in those parts.

3.  Ok, I wasnt clear in what I said...

4.  Yah, there you go a clear exit strategy, something we sorely needed for these 2 wars.  Something that we still dont have...

5.  Not at all, in fact its probably true that they hate you even more now.  So what exactly did you gain???  From where I stand pretty much nothing.

1/10/2013 11:24 PM
Posted by raucous on 1/10/2013 2:54:00 PM (view original):
My nomination is the American people. 

I win.

Well, at least you realize you are a moron...you got that going for you, which is nice.
1/11/2013 1:02 AM
Posted by greeny9 on 1/10/2013 11:24:00 PM (view original):

2.  What is wrong with opposition to a war?  Should we all just be blind sheeple like repubs and just follow the leader when he wants to go to war?  As Ive said War should be the last option, I dont think we tried hard enough politically to stop tensions or slow the spread of communism in those parts.

4.  Yah, there you go a clear exit strategy, something we sorely needed for these 2 wars.  Something that we still dont have...

5.  Not at all, in fact its probably true that they hate you even more now.  So what exactly did you gain???  From where I stand pretty much nothing.

1 Me Too!

2 I fully support examining each war for its value. I feel that some on the left oppose war as a matter of policy. I can remember calling a local talk show and arguing with the host (Peter Werbe) about the value of the 1st Gulf war. How can that be opposed?

3 Thank you and it was a minor mistake but since you called me on it I had to bring it up.

4 So didnt the left use that as a reason the 1st gulf war was flawed?

5 We eliminated a large number of the orginizational level administration of the terror networks. We cost them money. We cost them lives. The entire region is becoming more free...coincidence? We hurt global terror. Was it worth it is a question for debate. Did we do it for nothing is not!
1/11/2013 12:37 PM
Posted by swamphawk22 on 1/11/2013 12:37:00 PM (view original):
Posted by greeny9 on 1/10/2013 11:24:00 PM (view original):

1 Me Too!

2 I fully support examining each war for its value. I feel that some on the left oppose war as a matter of policy. I can remember calling a local talk show and arguing with the host (Peter Werbe) about the value of the 1st Gulf war. How can that be opposed?

3 Thank you and it was a minor mistake but since you called me on it I had to bring it up.

4 So didnt the left use that as a reason the 1st gulf war was flawed?

5 We eliminated a large number of the orginizational level administration of the terror networks. We cost them money. We cost them lives. The entire region is becoming more free...coincidence? We hurt global terror. Was it worth it is a question for debate. Did we do it for nothing is not!
2.  The Persian gulf war was necessary, you cant sit back and watch a big nation militarily take over a much smaller nation.  And that was was fought and won in roughly 6 months.  And the part of the war that the Allieds actually took part in lasted about 42 days.  This is a fully acceptable war as far as I am concerned.  Now the wars that essentially still on in Iraq and Afghanistan are perfect examples of not having a real exit strategy, and the military industrial complex run amok.

4.  As far as I know there was a clear exit strategy in the 1st gulf war...

5.  Please, you didnt eliminate anything, there will always be crazy people over there willing to do the dirty work.  And more then enough rich people over there that either profit from everlasting conflict, or are just plain crazy in hate with the USA.  (and not entirely undeservedly I might add)  Considering the never ending amounts of people over there that will stop at nothing to hurt or embarrass the USA (the numbers of which unquestionably grew with these wars) I would say that this war did the exact opposite of what you claim that it hurt global terror.  My crystal ball tells me that the USA will have more headaches now and for the foreseeable future with terrorist attacks both against itself and her allies (esp. Israel). 

Finally the real reason that America started these 2 wars was to get easier access to OIL.  Which it has at least partially been successful at. 

1/11/2013 1:19 PM
The idea that it was all about oil isnt 100% valid.

Keeping the area stable to keep world oil prices low is always an issue for us.

We started with Afghanistan and they have no oil and are not actually a part of the middle east.

We went into Iraq for many reasons, and oil was one of them. it wasnt the only one.
1/11/2013 3:45 PM
Clearly you guys have done a great job of that havent you?  Gas more expensive this past summer then it ever has been, it even beat the summer of 2008 which was the previous high.  I heard somewhere I cant remember where that Afghanistan is potentially a major conduit to bring oil down to the Gulf coast from northern countries.  And that is a major reason why the Ruskies wanted to take over Afghanistan in the 80s and why now the US has a hard on over it.

Oil was a big reason, probably the biggest one.

1/11/2013 4:42 PM
Posted by jclarkbaker on 1/9/2013 8:37:00 PM (view original):
Bush started two wars?
I think this needed a period instead of a question mark.
1/12/2013 4:09 PM
Posted by greeny9 on 1/11/2013 4:42:00 PM (view original):
Clearly you guys have done a great job of that havent you?  Gas more expensive this past summer then it ever has been, it even beat the summer of 2008 which was the previous high.  I heard somewhere I cant remember where that Afghanistan is potentially a major conduit to bring oil down to the Gulf coast from northern countries.  And that is a major reason why the Ruskies wanted to take over Afghanistan in the 80s and why now the US has a hard on over it.

Oil was a big reason, probably the biggest one.

If oil was the big reason where is this oil? Regional stability can be tied to oil but the only thing traveling through Afghanistan besides afghans is terrorists, heroin and the US Military.

And what was our reasons for going into Yugoslovia after their breakup? No oil there either.

Our response in Afghanistan was clearly based on 9/11 and not oil.

And if the war is so sensless I guess Obama can explain why we are still there 4 years after he took office and why he felt the need for a Bush style "Surge" after he took office.
1/14/2013 7:06 PM
◂ Prev 1...6|7|8|9|10 Next ▸
My nomination for MORON OF THE CENTURY! Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.