12/19/2012 4:22 PM
After reviewing the list of current engine improvements in the thread above, please let us know if you have any other engine-related fixes you'd like to see. Please include as much detail as possible.

Note, nothing in the LIVE game can be fixed at this time.

Thanks
12/19/2012 5:07 PM (edited)
sounds good but I still have three concerns.

first:  In playoff/toc type situations players on a team who finish their playoff tier early (ie 3 games instead of max 5) do not rest at the same rate teams who play max games do.  Most telling in future games in the tourney are pitchers and platoon players.  Say in game three sp wins by going 8 and ends game at 93% fatigue as does platoon catcher.  Their counterparts who play in game three of their five game series end game three with the exact same fatigue numbers but because their team play five games these players are fully recovered to 100% at the end of their series and ready for game one of the next series.

However, the players/pitchers who finished their series in 3 games are still fatigued at 93% although they had the same number of days elapse since last playing.  A real disadvantage going into the next series.

2nd:   is the number of games pitchers can be used in playoff situations.  After the early 1900's pitchers just don't pitch every other day but this often happens with no significant disadvantage in playoff situations.  This shouldn't be as it isn't realistic (also, to a lesser extent, it concerns me that many times pitchers pitch as many as 100 innings in a season more than they really did in MLB without any measureable decline.....also not realistic).

3rd:  I feel there is way too much advantage built into certain parks.  Too many pennats are won by teams in pitcher friendly parks (SD to name one).  If this were realistic SD, LA and Houston would win 3 out of five championships in MLB.  Last I checked SD Padres or Astros hadn't won even a single WS even though they played in those parks for many seasons.
12/19/2012 5:31 PM (edited)
Thanks for the great updates.

Please, please, eliminate or cut back on the artificial advantage you gave to hitters, last major revision (was it about 3 years ago? - the major revision). If some pitcher squelching is needed for the best deadball pitcher's player-seasons, just make it a little bit, for them, etc.  Otherwise, make very good and excellent pitching a salary issue and let market factors work.

Please do it in the interest of realistic, "what if sports." That's what is fun - not carnival ball.  ;-`

12/19/2012 6:04 PM
I agree on the ballpark comments above. Way too much of an advantage for pitcher-friendly parks in the current version of the game.
12/19/2012 6:31 PM

Those 19th century and early 1900s pitchers seem to be able to pitch almost EVERY day (at least every other day) with no big decline in effectiveness. True, many really pitched 300+ innings per season, but it seems unrealistic in this simulation. I think the game engine needs to be adjusted.

12/19/2012 6:41 PM
correct (live version when you can of course) the success rate of the suicide/sac bunt. Especially with inf in. There is no way it should be that high of a success rate with all runners and all batters bunting especially pitchers. Also please make a button giving you the option when runners on 1st and 3rd to just move runner from 1st to 2nd via sac bunt. Suicide squeeze should be a surprise play not a cheap run that works everytime especially since there is no defense for it. Inf in in that situation is useless.
12/19/2012 7:02 PM
did the "twist" reference in the update refer to Twist Leagues?  if so......who would have thought a nice little idea a decade ago would become a permanent part of the site.  cool
12/19/2012 9:17 PM
Sounds like it should be interesting. Hopefully to draft a team will still be easy.

Please do something about the seeming invincibility of dead ball pitchers, primarily Addie Joss.

Also will there be a price increase

12/19/2012 11:15 PM
when drafting a team we really should be able to place a "defense" rating minimum/maximum as well as ave., slugging, at bats etc. It makes perfect sense to make this easy change added to the rest of the items on the same page.

Also I disagree with so many folks about the "carnival" aspect. I also disagree about the "market factor." Who really ever uses a $36 million pitcher in an $80 million league. Also I believe without making another change the price of a regular season team as far as salary should be raised to at least $90 million but nor more than $100 million.

Nuf said.

12/19/2012 11:18 PM
Really Joss should be on every team. The guy pitched only a few years and comparatively speaking had some of the greatest years ever. Now there should be something done about the players from the 1950's. Pitchers like Robin Roberts and Whitey Ford and Bob Buhl don't perform like the HOFer's (not Buhl) they are and neither do Ernie Banks and some other great sluggers from the era. And how in the H.ll can Roberto Clemente ever be a "C" defensive rating!!!!????
12/20/2012 12:08 AM
Strongly agree with the ballpark factor being too pronounced. Strongly disagree with raising the open league cap - $80 mil seems about right.

I think pitchers with low HR/9 should be more expensive than they are. Right now there's no motivation to pick non-deadballers, unless the theme dictates it.
12/20/2012 12:39 AM
I don't think ballpark effects are too pronounced, I just think they should be something you pay for.

Also, I think $80m is the perfect cap for open leagues. If anything I think it should be lowered, not raised. The teams are already filled with all-stars at every position. If anything, the cap should be lowered to reflect the realities of a real life team (most of which come in around $65m).

More to the OP, however, will there be any changes to the fatigue model? Specifically, in regards to pitching?
12/20/2012 1:42 AM
Changing the game to create "real-life" open league teams completely destroyed the NBA sim.

Please do not do it again.
12/20/2012 11:47 AM (edited)
My biggest complaints are the aforementioned phenomenon of modern pitchers being able to be used effectively in a two man rotation for the entire postseason, and the ability for starting pitchers to "bank" innings and then start multiple games in a row at 100%.  See crazystengel's thread in the SimLeague Baseball forum about starting Brian Bohanon 17 games in a row, most of them at 100%.

The crazy thing about being able to overuse SPs so much is that in my experience, RPs are treated to the opposite extreme.  I'll rest a closer for the last few games of the regular season, use him in the regular season for fewer innings and pitches than RL, then he throws 10 pitches in game 1 of the playoffs and is less than 100% for game 2.  Greg Maddux can start 4 games in a 7 game series, each at 100%, but Mariano Rivera is at less than 100% after throwing 1 inning after not pitching for 3 days?  It's preposterous.

A less important, yet desirable (for me) change would be to allow closers to enter the game in the 7th inning.  I could be wrong, but based on experience I believe that the current sim engine only considers bringing closers in for the 8th inning (unless there is no other eligible pitcher, perhaps).  Guys like Goose Gossage used to enter games in the 7th inning and get saves often.
12/20/2012 10:23 AM
Posted by brillpro on 12/19/2012 11:15:00 PM (view original):
when drafting a team we really should be able to place a "defense" rating minimum/maximum as well as ave., slugging, at bats etc. It makes perfect sense to make this easy change added to the rest of the items on the same page.

Also I disagree with so many folks about the "carnival" aspect. I also disagree about the "market factor." Who really ever uses a $36 million pitcher in an $80 million league. Also I believe without making another change the price of a regular season team as far as salary should be raised to at least $90 million but nor more than $100 million.

Nuf said.

You can set defensive min/max now. Use range factor or fielding % by position, or fielding/range grade (A+:D-).
of 2

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

Popular on WhatIfSports site: Baseball Simulation | College Basketball Game | College Football Game | Online Baseball Game | Hockey Simulation | NFL Picks | College Football Picks | Sports Games

© 1999-2014 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.