Tim Raines HOF Topic

Awww........thats precious.
12/24/2012 7:42 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 12/21/2012 12:25:00 PM (view original):
Someone is saying that he admitted to using illegal drugs, on the field of play, before he was elected.    Not exactly sure which HOFer set that precedent.  Perhaps someone will enlighten us.
From 1919 until 1933 alcohol was illegal in America.  I realize this is not an exact match, but like narcotics it does alter the perception of reality.  Grover Cleveland Alexander would be the best example of a Hall of Famer, at least once, drunken on the field.  He's not alone. 

Throughout Paul's (Waner) career, he was reputed as one of the great drunks in baseball. He only added to this legend by making claims such as seeing three balls and swinging at the middle one. A Pittsburgh writer named Paul Waner sober as the greatest right fielder in Pirates history; second was Paul Waner drunk.

I'm not saying Alexander or Waner carried a flask and "used" on the field but I don't think Raines ever actually "used" on the field of play either.  WIkipedia (yes, I know it's not the best source) says "He used cocaine before games, in his car, after games, and on some occasions, between innings in the clubhouse"  Yes, we know about the headfirst slides to protect the glass vials but I don't see anything about snorting "on the field of play."

Oh, it's true you will find plenty of stories out there whitewashing Alexander and Waner and alcohol.  I wasn't there, but there are an awful lot more stories supporting the illegal drunkenness than playing it down.

Yes, it is not quite an Apples to Apples comparison, but these Hall of Famers were on the field, under the influence, illegally.

12/24/2012 11:21 AM
Doc Ellis should be in the HOF for throwing a no hitter on acid. That is one of the most impressive feats in baseball history!!
12/24/2012 2:02 PM
◂ Prev 12345
Tim Raines HOF Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.