High-Capacity Assault Weapons Topic

Since I'm not fond of the soliloquy, I just kinda skimmed that.  Nonetheless, you have no right when I choose to take it away.  You can't vote, you can't drink, you can't speak freely and you can't own a gun, if someone takes it away.  You'll have to fight for that right.   Figure out your fight.  And consider if you'll have to fight again for the same, or a different, right tomorrow.
12/21/2012 8:08 PM
A few of the news shows are already talking about a handgun ban.

The Clinton AG ban was anything more than 6 rounds. 6? How did we get from the pictures of 30 round magazines down to 6.

Millions of us want our rights.

Are we talking about banning the really odd stuff no one really needs or are we banning anything that night kill?
12/21/2012 8:10 PM
There's a middle ground between guns for hunting and personal protection, and what's available right now.  The problem is finding and agreeing on where that middle ground lies.

My feeling is that you (swamp) feels that any kind of concession is an infringement of your "rights", so your stance is giving back nothing.  Is that correct?  If not, then what would you be willing to concede?
12/21/2012 8:14 PM
I would allow a ban on any clip over 20.

I could see a 3 gun and 1500 round a month limit.

I would be willing to raise spending to make backround checks more efficent.

I will never allow a handgun ban, or bans on CCWs.

What will the left now concede?
12/21/2012 8:19 PM
And as to a handgun ban, let's be real . . . there's no way that could ever happen.

The "right to bear arms" is embedded in the Constitution.  My guess is that it would take a Constitutional Amendment to do a complete ban of guns.  That would require an Amendment to get support from 290 members of the House and 67 members of the Senate, and then be ratified by 38 states.  With the NRA being arguably the most powerful special interest group in the U.S., what do you think the odds are of that happening?

Any law less than a Constitutional Amendment would be challenged all the way up to the Supreme Court, who would clearly find in unconstitutional.

So no fears . . . your right to own guns is not going anywhere.  At most, the kinds of guns and ammunition available could be scaled back to a level less destructive than what's legally available right now.
12/21/2012 8:20 PM
And I wouldnt be happy and neither would the NRA.

But it is reasonable enough to get passed pretty easy so lets do it.
12/21/2012 8:20 PM
Posted by swamphawk22 on 12/21/2012 8:19:00 PM (view original):

What kind of concessions does the right expect or demand?
12/21/2012 8:25 PM
I would be very concerned with federal limits on bullet coating or on hollow points.
12/21/2012 8:25 PM
Posted by tecwrg on 12/21/2012 8:25:00 PM (view original):

What kind of concessions does the right expect or demand?
That you cant come back in a week after the next shooting and want more.

The bans are not going to stop it and if we let them reopen the issue every time something happens we will end up with a ban eventually!
12/21/2012 8:26 PM
Not without a Constitutional Amendment which, as I pointed out, will never happen.
12/21/2012 8:28 PM

"I could see a 3 gun and 1500 round a month limit."

Why would Joe Citizen need to purchase 36 guns and 18,000 rounds of ammo a year?
12/21/2012 8:30 PM
He probably wouldnt do it every month, but in some kind of hunting emergency he might need to ramp up one month.

Does it really matter?

12/21/2012 8:34 PM
And see I am trying to compromise and the left isnt responding at all.
12/21/2012 8:34 PM
Posted by tecwrg on 12/21/2012 8:28:00 PM (view original):
Not without a Constitutional Amendment which, as I pointed out, will never happen.
So Obama bans all private firearms tomorrow by executive fiat and orders the FBI to start collecting them.

The average law abiding citizen who isnt in Texas will obey the rules.

And 3 years later when the case is decided what happens?
12/21/2012 8:36 PM
Posted by swamphawk22 on 12/21/2012 8:36:00 PM (view original):
Posted by tecwrg on 12/21/2012 8:28:00 PM (view original):
So Obama bans all private firearms tomorrow by executive fiat and orders the FBI to start collecting them.

The average law abiding citizen who isnt in Texas will obey the rules.

And 3 years later when the case is decided what happens?

You're delusional if you think that's going to happen.

Do you moonlight for Fox News?

12/21/2012 8:51 PM
◂ Prev 1...17|18|19|20|21...54 Next ▸
High-Capacity Assault Weapons Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.