DH's have such good eyes at the plate but others? Topic

Posted by tecwrg on 12/3/2012 8:04:00 AM (view original):
Posted by ArlenWilliam on 12/3/2012 7:41:00 AM (view original):

Note to WIS - Related:

Also, please make sure that you aren't giving lower "Health" numbers to the top athletes (and maybe you'd like to audit other ratings, to make sure you aren't artificially penalizing players in some other ways, who have good ratings in certain categories).

Because "top athletes" should never suffer serious injuries?
Correct.

Once Arlen finds a player with all the tools, he should not have to be concerned with his 53 health rating.   Cal Ripken played 162 every season without injury, right?
12/3/2012 9:08 AM
There are less injuries in this game than there are in real life.  I'd actually prefer more injuries, but know I'd be in the minority asking for them.
12/3/2012 2:22 PM
Arlen would put you on his "naughty" list for those improper thoughts.
12/3/2012 2:43 PM
Posted by burnsy483 on 12/3/2012 2:22:00 PM (view original):
There are less injuries in this game than there are in real life.  I'd actually prefer more injuries, but know I'd be in the minority asking for them.
I second!
12/3/2012 6:41 PM
Posted by tufft on 12/1/2012 6:48:00 PM (view original):
I'll guess the point Arlen is trying to make is that there are a certain number of player types. There are combinations that happen in the real word, if rarely, that never occur in HBD.

I've never seen a player with very high range, glove, & pitch calling. No reason I can think of that should be impossible.

There are other types of player that are frequent & others you never see. Not rarely see. Never see.
This thread is getting silly. Maybe I misunderstand, but Arlen seems to want more Joe Morgans. How many other rangy middle infielders can we name who also were known for both the following: (a) speed, and (b) drawing a lot of walks? Expand his criteria to include rangy outfielders and how many do we add? Henderson. Bonds. Mantle. Not many others.

Look, I can name lots of guys with plus on base skills and good defense, like Wade Boggs and Yaz. But most were not also fast, lead off types. And the field thins even more when we ask them to play a premium defensive position.

So, really, how many real world examples fit the criteria? How many HBD players would satisfy you?
12/4/2012 12:14 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 11/30/2012 6:51:00 PM (view original):

Pretty much everyone who doesn't start "MORE!!!! BETTER!!!" threads.

Since you broke out the "reality" card, how many 5 tool players are there currently in MLB?    Hit for average and power, steal or at least have very good speed, great arm and can cover ground like no one else then actually catch the ball?

I'll help.  First thing you do is eliminate anyone not in the middle of the field.   So you're left with CF, 2B and SS.      There are rougly 360 position players on BL rosters at any given time.   So, when you get to 36. you can stop listing players and I'll concede that you're right, that we need more super studs in HBD.

This.

Which, by the way, he named zero.    Off the top of my head, I could think of two.  Hamilton, who seems to be transitioning out of CF and Trout, who's had one season in the bigs so it might be a fluke.    Cano doesn't steal, Reyes doesn't hit homers, Kinsler has a low BA(and, it appears, suspect fielding). 

There just aren't that many guys in the bigs or even in the history of the bigs that do it all. 
12/4/2012 8:29 AM
Just ran the career stats of the best player in my world (age 31, 93 OA, six MVPs in nine seasons, 1.065 career OPS) through Baseball Reference.  ONE player came up as a historical comparable - Barry Bonds, who as we all know had two separate careers.

12/4/2012 9:07 AM

I forgot to add that Hamilton would have a make-up of 0 and a health rating in the 50s. 

But, yeah, there aren't many historically comparable players in MLB to what Arlen is requesting.

12/4/2012 9:22 AM
+ defense in CF, good speed and ++ batting eye:  Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Ricardo Corpas

++ speed, ++ Power and + batting eye:  Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Rickey Norton

Just so you know that they do exist.  These are just two of the guys I pulled off of my teams, and I don't have the best team in any league I play in.  If you want a higher quantity of them......I don't think that has anything to do with being more realistic. 

Griffey, Bonds, Trout types don't grow on trees, and sometimes they do get hurt.  (Grady Sizemore).  The point is they do have them in this game, but I would guess it is something like 4 guys at a time in each league.  That seems about right yeah?

12/4/2012 3:05 PM
That seems like 3 too much, and that one should appear about once every 15 to 20 seasons.
12/4/2012 3:16 PM
12/4/2012 4:56 PM
IF the question is "should it happen", see above.
IF the question is "does it happen", I believe your research.
12/4/2012 6:18 PM

Pray for me. I just agreed with MikeT23.

(Don't read if you are afraid to see something political).

http://whatifsports.com/forums/Posts.aspx?ForumID=530&To
picID=453465&page=178

12/12/2012 4:04 PM

Note to WIS - Related:

Also, please make sure that you aren't giving lower "Health" numbers to the top athletes (and maybe you'd like to audit other ratings, to make sure you aren't artificially penalizing players in some other ways, who have good ratings in certain categories).

Nothing of the kind. I'm saying health should not be artificially gamed to be lower for the more gifted athletes. I suggest they look into whether they're doing any "gaming" of the players they make available, which may seem cool, but doesn't reflect reality.

There are courses available in reading comprehension, some online, probably.

12/12/2012 4:10 PM (edited)
Posted by ArlenWilliam on 12/12/2012 4:10:00 PM (view original):

Note to WIS - Related:

Nothing of the kind. I'm saying health should not be artificially gamed to be lower for the more gifted athletes. I suggest they look into whether they're doing any "gaming" of the players they make available, which may seem cool, but doesn't reflect reality.

There are courses available in reading comprehension, some online, probably.

It's quite fascinating that you are suggesting that they are artificially lowering health ratings for top players.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on the Grassy Knoll, and what they're hiding in Area 51.

12/12/2012 7:56 PM
◂ Prev 123 Next ▸
DH's have such good eyes at the plate but others? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.