Anybody got tips on how to run a successful Trips Offense? What position is most important in Trips?, and should i play more conservative or agressive? Is a good QB more important or a good RB more important? Any tips would be appreciated about Trips offense :) 

Also for Iform, should i recruit the FB based on Oline cores? EX: Str, Blocking, GI? 

11/24/2012 6:26 PM
For your fullback, I believe it depends on what you want to do with him.  If you want to run him a lot, then find a guy that has good RB cores, and as much blocking as you can find.  If you just want to use him as a blocker, then you can back off on the RB cores a bit and just find the best blocker (yeah...kind of more like an OL).  He will catch some passes and there is nothing you can do about that.

I'll let others discuss Trips...I use it a lot on one of my teams, but am not a leading expert.
11/24/2012 7:47 PM
I am not making fun of you when I say All the positions are important. Take any 1 away and you really weaken the team. Probably QB is most important since you will do lots of passing.
11/24/2012 9:09 PM
I run trips quite a bit.  It's taken me awhile to figure out, but I think you need a really good QB and 3-4 really good receivers who can put up awesome YAC numbers.  So, great ELU and good SPD on your WRs.

As far as QB, I am trying to recruit one every year and redshirt him.  Then I will always have a 5th year senior at QB.  I think it's that important.

11/26/2012 3:20 PM
I would argue the most important position on trips is the OL.. why becuase if you are going to pass, you have to have blockers that will allow your receivers to get open. If you dont you will most certainly have a ton of throw aways and QB scrambles. The more aggressive you set trips to will define this as well. I have decent luck running trips and I set it to balanced balanced and if works for me.. I run a lot out of trips too and have good luck doing so..
11/26/2012 3:48 PM
IMHO.  The left guard if your QB is right-handed because the DTs drops back into zone coverage while the right safety blitzes between them.  If your QB is left-handed then the slot receiver is the most important in conservative settings, the center in balanced settings and the QB in aggressive or very aggresive settings. 
11/26/2012 4:26 PM
Look at how bhouska runs it on his fort hays team in heisman
11/26/2012 6:14 PM
Thanks for all the response guys.. One question tho

If i have lots of speed on my team, should i prefer a more aggressive setting or a more conservative setting. in Trips offense of course. 
11/26/2012 7:03 PM
It depends more on your QB and line in that situation... how strong your QB is and how good your lines blk and tech are to hold their blocks... cons setting tends to be passes more to TE/RB but not always to them... so if still looking to your WR don't go lower than balanced
11/26/2012 11:27 PM
Posted by jc1796 on 11/26/2012 3:20:00 PM (view original):
I run trips quite a bit.  It's taken me awhile to figure out, but I think you need a really good QB and 3-4 really good receivers who can put up awesome YAC numbers.  So, great ELU and good SPD on your WRs.

As far as QB, I am trying to recruit one every year and redshirt him.  Then I will always have a 5th year senior at QB.  I think it's that important.

Just my humble opinion, but if you're planning on using 5 roster spots on QB's, you're wasting a lot of your roster, especially if you want to continue carrying 2 punters and 2 kickers.

11/26/2012 11:47 PM
Posted by superman7515 on 11/26/2012 11:47:00 PM (view original):

Just my humble opinion, but if you're planning on using 5 roster spots on QB's, you're wasting a lot of your roster, especially if you want to continue carrying 2 punters and 2 kickers.

5 QBs is fine if he's trying to build a consistent winner.
11/26/2012 11:49 PM
My go to offense is the Trips. I try to keep at least 4 QBs on the roster. One for each class so that they develop and are worth starting their senior year. But, I also highly value running backs and try to keep at least two starting quality backs on the roster (which usually means I go with 4 or 5 backs total), I load up on WRs as well and I value a TE with pass catching ability more than ones with great blocking ability (if I can get both though, that is obviously ideal). But take that with a grain of salt, as I am far from a great (or even a good) coach at this game.
11/27/2012 1:14 AM
Posted by nauds3000 on 11/26/2012 6:14:00 PM (view original):
Look at how bhouska runs it on his fort hays team in heisman
bhouska has the best Trips attack that I have faced.  I would definitely recommend his offense as a model of success.
11/27/2012 5:30 AM

I have run trips as my primary formation for many seasons with successful offensive production.  I find 5 QBs is too many.  I've found if you recruit a QB every other season while always red shirting them yields a solid team.  you will always have at least a 4th year Jr starting for you.

11/27/2012 1:13 PM
Posted by kcwallace on 11/27/2012 1:13:00 PM (view original):

I have run trips as my primary formation for many seasons with successful offensive production.  I find 5 QBs is too many.  I've found if you recruit a QB every other season while always red shirting them yields a solid team.  you will always have at least a 4th year Jr starting for you.

I run mostly Trips on my Concordia (WI) team in Bryant, and I am relatively successful doing so, won a national championship in my 5th season (that was the first seasons in which I had my own recruited RS Sr QB). Still, I am new to the game and still discovering, but happy to share few things that I have discovered:
1. I agree with kcwallace, recruit a QB every other season and redshirt him. It is a HUGE help having your QBs start for 2 consecutive years. If you have decent RBs, you can just run the football a bit more when your starting QB is RS JR, and go more pass in his SR year.
2. WR are important of course, but I think one ELITE guy is enough. I practically won my NC with 1 QB and 1 WR. Rest of the team was good enough, but those were the stars. While running Trips, I value ELU for WR. I also found out that STR could be important breaking some tackles (although you can't really see this in the PBP) and thus increasing YACs. SPD of course is a core for WR as well. I usually redshirt at least 1 WR every season.
3. I usually tend to recruit TEs with good WR cores, and I've had some success passing the ball to them.
4. OL is very important too, and I think this is a general truth, valid in every type of offense you play.
5. As far as tendency is concerned, I never ran C/VC. 90% of the times I start the game with Balanced, and adjust at HT depending on how things are going. Sometimes though I would start Aggressive, if I think the opponent's secondary is not good enough.
11/27/2012 4:57 PM
12 Next ▸

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.