Pick-a-Theme full Topic

League #  28800

Okay!

Can we fill a theme league?  This one has a little for everyone!

Pick one of these themes.  Themes are not exclusive, so don't worry, you can have your favourite.  Please state which theme you are choosing when you sign up, though. 

You may change your theme later if you want, let us know with a post!

Salary Cap:  90 million dollars!

All turned OFF: Waiver Wire, Playoff Intensity, Trades, Minor Leaguers

Max Injuries/Suspensions: 6

No clones, EXCEPT WHERE DICTATED BY INDIVIDUAL THEMES

The IN Crowd

the_bro.....................Dirty Dozen, Eleven From Heaven
oc3lus.......................Bumper Crop...2008
peter_puck................tba
the_jsa......................it was a very good year
gollum.....................ABC 
gollum.....................Encyclopaedia Volumes
kiteport...................It Was a Very Good Year (1982-83)
kiteport...................Bumper Crop (1980)
halen66..................Lucky Number..#1
Whalers10.............Lucky Number
firebirdsd44...............tba
firebirdsd44...............tba
mapleleafs4l............James Norris
taybaijor...................Bumper Crop...1990
taybaijor....................Pack Yer Bags
knightthorn................Archie, Edith, Gloria, and Meathead
captaincrnch..............Department of Defence
elliot1.........................Bumper Crop.....1979
demon_8....................Encyclopedia Volumes
alanasdad.................Dirty Dozen/Eleven Heaven
hogger0223..............Pack Yer Bags!
crippled......................Archie, Edith, Gloria, and Meathead
suzanny......................Norris Trophy 
leaners........................Dirty Dozen / 11 Heaven

1/16/2013 11:55 PM (edited)

Pick a Theme

It Was a Very Good Year” -all players must come from a single season

Hometown Favourites” -all players must come from the same franchise (no twisting)

ABC” Choose 3 letters of the alphabet, all of your players’LAST names must start with one of those 3 letters.

Lucky Number” Choose a number. Every skater you draft must have that number appear as their value for goals, assists, points, penalty minutes, defence rating, shots on goal, and/or the final 2 digits of shooting percentage (e.g., a shooting percentage of 18.57% can be used for lucky number 57; a percentage of 8.04% can be used for lucky number 4). You may choose 2 or 3 goalies, they must be clones. (They do not need the lucky number.)

Encyclopaedia Volumes” The initial letter of the last names of your 23 players must cover 23 different letters of the alphabet.

Best of a Generation” Choose 23 consecutive seasons. Draft one forward from each of the first 12 seasons. Draft one defencemen from each of the next 6 seasons. Draft 1 goalie from each of the next 2 (or 3) seasons. Draft 1 player with at least 200 penalty minutes from each of the next 3 (or 2) seasons.

Gentlemanly Conduct” Every forward on your team must have won the Lady Byng trophy (does not need to be the exact Byng-winning season, though).

Department of Defence” Every defenceman on your team must have won the James Norris trophy (does not need to be the exact Norris-winning season, though).

Archie, Edith, Gloria, and Meathead” Every player on your team must have (at least) a brother, son, father, grandson or grandfather as a teammate.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_family_relations_in_the_NHL

"Pack Yer Bags" Each season you draft must be a combined season. (e.g., the ones in the draft centre that have the half-blue, half-yellow circle beside them)

"High Octane" Every forward must have scored at least 50 goals and/or 100 points. All defencemen must have scored at least 25 goals and/or 50 points.

"Bumper Crop" Refer to this record of NHL Amateur (1963-1978) and Entry (1979-present) Drafts. Pick the one you like best. At least half of your team’s total salary must be spent on players from that draft group. (You can use any year of the player’s career, obviously.)

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/index.html

The Dirty Dozen and the Eleven From Heaven” Twelve of your players must cost $165,000. The remaining eleven share the remainder of your salary cap, with the caveat that none of them is to be paid less than $6,000,000.

11/12/2012 4:41 PM (edited)
Sounds fun I'm in, theme TBD.
11/6/2012 9:44 AM
I'll join too. For now I think I'll do the family team, but might change my mind.

Perhaps it might be nice to limit each theme to 2 owners?

11/6/2012 4:17 PM
In the old days, I would have.  (1 of each theme per conference).  But leagues fill so slow, I am trying to remove as many barriers to joining as possible.

I don't want someone to come along when we are at, say 15 teams, and look and think "I'd join, but the 2 themes that pique my interest are both full".
11/7/2012 4:38 PM
I'll try one
11/8/2012 4:42 PM
If this flies (fingers crossed) I will jump in with 2 teams:  ABC and Encyclopaedia Volumes.
11/11/2012 10:05 AM
Any chance of a higher cap? Especially with these themes? If it flies, I'll go for Very Good Year and Consecutive Season.
11/11/2012 10:57 AM
Posted by kiteport on 11/11/2012 10:57:00 AM (view original):
Any chance of a higher cap? Especially with these themes? If it flies, I'll go for Very Good Year and Consecutive Season.
I'm kinda feeling what kitport is say' in bout the cap .......I'll take "Luck Number"
11/12/2012 3:54 PM
I am torn about the cap....I think I will leave it where it is for, for a couple of (related) reasons.

1) Variety (as to what is currently offered in the forums.)

2) I don't want to leech owners from Kiteport's excellent Hall of Fame theme that is up right now and underdogg's equally excellent low-defence franchise theme.

I think setting the cap at 90 finds me a bit of space away from Kite's 150mil and Under's 50 mil.

If Kite's theme fills and fires, and this one is lagging badly, I will reconsider upping the cap, but for now I would like to see those other themes fill first, before I horn in on their design space.

I am very  grateful, though, for all of your feedback and interest in this league.  I fully understand, with no hard feelings, if you want to pull out and find a theme that has a cap more to your preferences.
11/12/2012 4:36 PM
I added (in bold) a couple of categories to Lucky Number.
11/12/2012 4:42 PM
I'll take lucky number. Cap is fine where it is.
11/12/2012 8:14 PM
Welcome, Everyone!
11/14/2012 11:02 PM
I'm in with 2 teams if possible - themes tbd
11/14/2012 11:42 PM
Put me down for 2 teams. James Norris and Lady Bying.
11/16/2012 6:18 PM
1234 Next ▸
Pick-a-Theme full Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.