Help for beginners 2014 Topic

Bump
6/13/2022 7:09 PM
Booomp
6/27/2022 1:55 PM
IN SIM Hockey, WE CARE!!

NBA fans are like boom car owners. .. They are the only people on the planet.. Well, not all, just most
7/11/2022 2:21 AM
I'm getting better at hockey... 1 wall I've run into and it's a little weird... I'll be killing it early on... and then towards the end stretch (even when players are at 100% - randomly start losing 3-4 game stretches and only winning 1 or 2 in between. Is it something in the sim that causes that? Some hidden trigger?
8/26/2022 5:55 PM
Bump
1/10/2023 9:45 PM
As someone who is trying to get into hockey: how do you handle in-season management/tweaks etc? I've played a lot of baseball and basketball on here and in season tweaks are essential, so I'm curious how they're handled in hockey.
1/15/2023 6:10 PM
Hello fellow user. I only Know and use One trick poney . That’s seems to work. Other hall of fame users use multiple techniques. But here’s what I do:

have full squad of players with equal or more than 75% games played .

goalies. 4.5M combined . Certificate yourself that the paire combined can play 82 games.

Defense: use 4 or 5 defenseman more than 90% defensive rating and one or two more than 80% rating. I know that some hall of fame users like to use Gostisbehere 16-17 defense 69. But they are professionals. I still can’t achieve that .

Forwards: Line 1 a scorer with more than 20% percentage, a feeder and check-liner equals or more than 75D
line 2 repeat
line 3 repeat or just a scorer and two check-liners
line 3 repeat, or a scorer and two check-liners, or 3 check-liners.

lines and paires all mode conservative except power-play.

Check the other leagues that where or are being played. You can see what the best users are doing and what’s their formation. If you have doubts you can always contacts the Hockey Hall of fame users. They are very nice people and are glad to help.

I hope it was helpful. And sorry for my broken English . Is just my fourth language . I’m a Portuguese person who lives in Swiss. But love me some ice hockey.

greetings
1/16/2023 10:18 AM (edited)
Posted by CFSportsClub on 8/26/2022 5:55:00 PM (view original):
I'm getting better at hockey... 1 wall I've run into and it's a little weird... I'll be killing it early on... and then towards the end stretch (even when players are at 100% - randomly start losing 3-4 game stretches and only winning 1 or 2 in between. Is it something in the sim that causes that? Some hidden trigger?
Some players claim the engine has built in losing streaks. I don't think so. You put enough quarters in the machine and you'll see it all.
1/16/2023 1:19 PM
Posted by specialone4 on 1/16/2023 10:18:00 AM (view original):
Hello fellow user. I only Know and use One trick poney . That’s seems to work. Other hall of fame users use multiple techniques. But here’s what I do:

have full squad of players with equal or more than 75% games played .

goalies. 4.5M combined . Certificate yourself that the paire combined can play 82 games.

Defense: use 4 or 5 defenseman more than 90% defensive rating and one or two more than 80% rating. I know that some hall of fame users like to use Gostisbehere 16-17 defense 69. But they are professionals. I still can’t achieve that .

Forwards: Line 1 a scorer with more than 20% percentage, a feeder and check-liner equals or more than 75D
line 2 repeat
line 3 repeat or just a scorer and two check-liners
line 3 repeat, or a scorer and two check-liners, or 3 check-liners.

lines and paires all mode conservative except power-play.

Check the other leagues that where or are being played. You can see what the best users are doing and what’s their formation. If you have doubts you can always contacts the Hockey Hall of fame users. They are very nice people and are glad to help.

I hope it was helpful. And sorry for my broken English . Is just my fourth language . I’m a Portuguese person who lives in Swiss. But love me some ice hockey.

greetings
Great post.

OP, if you draft players with at or over 75% games played, you will not need to tweak.
1/16/2023 1:36 PM
Hello all! Some may or may not remember from when i was playing last year. I came back about 2 years ago from many years away. I thought that i'd check in with this place and see what was new. I played a bunch of leagues and struggled. I kind of figured out how to make the playoffs, but that is about it. I've had discussions privately with a few ppl on here, and tried to apply what was told to me with little improvement. I just got fed up with it and havent been on here since June or so of last year. I need to ''go back to school" so to speak and start from scratch with this game and figure out what exactly i'm doing wrong. I'm tired of trying so hard and getting no results.

I have so many questions. I know the basics that ppl have told me over, and over, and over again with the core of the team: High sh% C with high assist and 1.5 shots per game or less, High D rated checker with very low shots, then a high sh% scorer(at least 20%) that averages at least 3 shots per game.If that's correct cool, if not, what should I be doing?

My follow up with this is, how important are your D ratings with your scorer and C? Should they be over 50 or 60, or does it not matter? Can you pick someone other than Lemieux and Gretzky, and win, or is is absolutely necessary to have 1 or both? They are just so damn expensive that it makes it damn near impossible to get a decent scoring 3rd/4th line and I just don't know who to pick for my 3rd and 4th line who dont have D ratings in the single digits and it never seems to really do well for me. Is there certain players from certain seasons that always do well, other than the obvious Lemieux and Gretzky seasons? Then is there some secret to knowing who to pair with who? Should your highest assist guy automatically be matched with your highest goal guy or does that not make a difference? For example, say you pair the 90-91 Adam Oates(61 Games played 90 assists) with the 51 Goal Mike Bullard, instead of Lemieux's 85 Goal season, would Bullard over perform, or would it dud because of how different each season's were? I did a season where i paired that Oates season with the 85 goal Lemieux season and they did great together. Also, do your wingers have to be in their natural position of Left or Right in order to perform? Or does it not matter? Have you had success with certain checkers paired with certain scorers? I feel like i'm probably way off base with how to construct my lines. lol.

I also THINK i know what to do for my D men: usually go with 93 D rated Al Arbour, Ted Harris and Alex Smith. Then choose from from 80 D Faulk, 87 D Klingberg, 95 D Letang, 94 D Daughty, 90 D Byfuglien and the cheap 69 D Gostibere. I usually go with Faulk, Klingberg and Byfuglien. Is that fine or is there some other combo that seems to work? Then, is there some secret as to knowing who to pair with who? Including PP?

I won't ask any more Q's for now. I apologize for bombarding everyone with so much at once. I'm not doing good personally and having some success with this would give me something to be happy about. In 21 post-seasons, i've made the Finals just ONE time. ONE, and that was when I played the first time around. Since coming back, the farthest i've made it is the Conference finals. Twice. I'm clearly doing something wrong and i'm tired of trying so hard and failing. So if anybody wants to take me on as their "student", i am 100% all ears. Ready and eager to get serious and figure this thing out.
2/4/2023 2:55 AM
I don’t think you should employ this as an All or Nothing situation, a win or go home. It seems to me that you are a fairly decent player as you already manage to reach finals and conference finals, and clearly know how to clinch the playoffs. Don’t let the society dictate who you are. It would be nice if we get tittles, but to me is way more important to enjoy it. I’ve came back one month ago after ten years of absence. I guess it wasn’t the right time then, due to lack of patience. Just be yourself and have fun.
2/4/2023 8:45 AM
Posted by Bruno421 on 1/16/2023 1:19:00 PM (view original):
Posted by CFSportsClub on 8/26/2022 5:55:00 PM (view original):
Some players claim the engine has built in losing streaks. I don't think so. You put enough quarters in the machine and you'll see it all.
IMHO, it does Bruno. This question was asked of one of the developers and it was not denied. This was YEARS ago when someone at WIS gave a rip about the hockey sim.
2/8/2023 2:37 PM
Posted by remaster1981 on 2/4/2023 2:55:00 AM (view original):
Hello all! Some may or may not remember from when i was playing last year. I came back about 2 years ago from many years away. I thought that i'd check in with this place and see what was new. I played a bunch of leagues and struggled. I kind of figured out how to make the playoffs, but that is about it. I've had discussions privately with a few ppl on here, and tried to apply what was told to me with little improvement. I just got fed up with it and havent been on here since June or so of last year. I need to ''go back to school" so to speak and start from scratch with this game and figure out what exactly i'm doing wrong. I'm tired of trying so hard and getting no results.

I have so many questions. I know the basics that ppl have told me over, and over, and over again with the core of the team: High sh% C with high assist and 1.5 shots per game or less, High D rated checker with very low shots, then a high sh% scorer(at least 20%) that averages at least 3 shots per game.If that's correct cool, if not, what should I be doing?

My follow up with this is, how important are your D ratings with your scorer and C? Should they be over 50 or 60, or does it not matter? Can you pick someone other than Lemieux and Gretzky, and win, or is is absolutely necessary to have 1 or both? They are just so damn expensive that it makes it damn near impossible to get a decent scoring 3rd/4th line and I just don't know who to pick for my 3rd and 4th line who dont have D ratings in the single digits and it never seems to really do well for me. Is there certain players from certain seasons that always do well, other than the obvious Lemieux and Gretzky seasons? Then is there some secret to knowing who to pair with who? Should your highest assist guy automatically be matched with your highest goal guy or does that not make a difference? For example, say you pair the 90-91 Adam Oates(61 Games played 90 assists) with the 51 Goal Mike Bullard, instead of Lemieux's 85 Goal season, would Bullard over perform, or would it dud because of how different each season's were? I did a season where i paired that Oates season with the 85 goal Lemieux season and they did great together. Also, do your wingers have to be in their natural position of Left or Right in order to perform? Or does it not matter? Have you had success with certain checkers paired with certain scorers? I feel like i'm probably way off base with how to construct my lines. lol.

I also THINK i know what to do for my D men: usually go with 93 D rated Al Arbour, Ted Harris and Alex Smith. Then choose from from 80 D Faulk, 87 D Klingberg, 95 D Letang, 94 D Daughty, 90 D Byfuglien and the cheap 69 D Gostibere. I usually go with Faulk, Klingberg and Byfuglien. Is that fine or is there some other combo that seems to work? Then, is there some secret as to knowing who to pair with who? Including PP?

I won't ask any more Q's for now. I apologize for bombarding everyone with so much at once. I'm not doing good personally and having some success with this would give me something to be happy about. In 21 post-seasons, i've made the Finals just ONE time. ONE, and that was when I played the first time around. Since coming back, the farthest i've made it is the Conference finals. Twice. I'm clearly doing something wrong and i'm tired of trying so hard and failing. So if anybody wants to take me on as their "student", i am 100% all ears. Ready and eager to get serious and figure this thing out.
Hey Big T!!!!
So much depends on the cap of the league you are asking about. Bullard has been an awesome choice for me when I used to play in open leagues. He was a great 3rd line center, with a cheaper Gretzky as his center (the 29 D version with over 90 helpers). He almost always lit it up for me. Maruk and Robitialle were others who did well. Personally, I love using Helman, Langlois, and Duggan as my top 3 guys due to low cost. If I have extra money left, I would go for a Finnegan at 95 D, or a Jarvis or Richard at 95 D, but usually they are good for a higher cap since I have extra cash. The thing you need to look at is shots on goal per game. Don't put a Savard with a Lemieux, as a Savard with high helpers and a 20 d rating takes almost 3 shots a game, taking shots away from your higher shooting % guys. A guy like the 80 assist Hawerchuk is even worse as, while he averages almost an assist per game, his shooting % is under 7 and he takes 4 shots a game. You want your Lemieux or Gretzky that have a shooting % in the upper 20's to take shots, not him. I also like a guy like Niko Kappanen for d, as he has some helpers and an 88 d rating if I remember correctly.
As far as wingers (or forwards for that metter), there is no drop-off in stats if they play on their off wing or a different forward position. The center with the better face off ration will take the draw, regardless of where you have him playing on the forward line. As long as the forward is on a forward line, his stats remain the same. If you place a forward on the back-end playing defense, his ratings are cut at least 50%.
Hope that answers your questions Big T!
2/8/2023 6:08 PM (edited)
Hey Chuck!

Thank you so much for your detailed message! You outlined some specifics as far as players and other details I really had not considered before. You are the best and I greatly appreciate you taking the time to share your experiences and expertice. I don't take it for granted. You definitely answered most of my questions. Thank you!

I am definitely going to apply some of the things you put forth in a Exhibition League and see how it goes. One question I did have. You mentioned about having the 90 Assist, 29 D rated Gretzky with the 51 Goal Bullard for your 3rd Line. My big concern is the fact both players D rating is so Low. Is that fine as long as your checker is someone with a high D rating like Langlois or Duggan?

Once again thank you so much for all your help! You are the best!
Take care buddy!

Anthony
AKA Big T
2/13/2023 7:45 PM
Posted by remaster1981 on 2/13/2023 7:45:00 PM (view original):
Hey Chuck!

Thank you so much for your detailed message! You outlined some specifics as far as players and other details I really had not considered before. You are the best and I greatly appreciate you taking the time to share your experiences and expertice. I don't take it for granted. You definitely answered most of my questions. Thank you!

I am definitely going to apply some of the things you put forth in a Exhibition League and see how it goes. One question I did have. You mentioned about having the 90 Assist, 29 D rated Gretzky with the 51 Goal Bullard for your 3rd Line. My big concern is the fact both players D rating is so Low. Is that fine as long as your checker is someone with a high D rating like Langlois or Duggan?

Once again thank you so much for all your help! You are the best!
Take care buddy!

Anthony
AKA Big T
I like Langlois on that line (91D) as he is more durable than Duggan. Also a guy like Finnegan works well there too.
2/13/2023 9:19 PM
◂ Prev 123456 Next ▸
Help for beginners 2014 Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.