A-Rod: Satan? Topic

This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
If A-Rod can't get *****, he's got less game off the field than he does on it. 
10/17/2012 8:39 AM
But, to me, when someone is stinking it up and hurting the team, playing footsie with chicks in the stands during a game is an unpardonable sin. 

Why?  What difference does it make how he's performing?  It doesn't do anything to hurt the team, it's not like he was doing it while he was supposed to be playing defense...

I just can't even see the perspective from which this is a big deal, or even matters at all.  Who cares who A-Rod wants to talk to?  It's not like he talked to these girls and THEN started to suck.  He's been doing that all postseason.  Is the idea that he's representing that he doesn't care?  Everyone who's upset with themselves should just curl up in a ball and sulk?  Frankly, trying to keep loose is the best thing any player can do to try to maintain or improve performance.  Sulking and getting tight certainly isn't going to improve one's performance at the plate.  So what's the big deal?
10/17/2012 2:27 PM
There's a reason players don't mingle in the stands during games.    Do you have any idea why?   And it applies to ALL sports.
10/17/2012 2:41 PM
Should yesterday's starting pitchers grab a beer and a hot dog then find a good seat near some hot chicks?  They're not going to play anyway.   Why not stay loose?
10/17/2012 2:42 PM
A-Rod's not abandoning his teammates, it's not the same at all.  Players in all sports have brief interactions with the fans.  Basketball players will certainly say a word or two to the courtside fans (occasionally a whole team goes into the stands and starts kicking ***, but we'll ignore that, since it obviously was not a desirable behavior...)  Football has the Lambeau Leap.  These things help sell the expensive seats, and owners tacitly condone it for that reason.
10/17/2012 2:53 PM
I'm sure you have no idea what A-Rod was doing.

If nothing else, he lacks self-awareness.   He's a goddam lightening rod for **** like this.   Why, when you're stinking and your team is losing, start flirting with fans in the 9th inning?  What possible good can come from it(assuming, of course, that he could get laid without doing it)?    It's just stupid and one of the many reasons A-Rod gets more **** for less than anyone in baseball.
10/17/2012 2:59 PM
It's pretty similar to the Sux having beer and chicken while the game is still playing.   Or Rickey and Bonilla playing cards during the game.    Why not just whip out the iPhone and play Angry Birds during the 7th inning stretch?
10/17/2012 3:00 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 10/12/2012 8:20:00 AM (view original):
All that is fair(except the point of Jeter being self-serving and selfish).   He probably could have hugged it out with A-Rod and made an easier path for him.   However, A-Rod carried a rep with him upon his arrival and, quite honestly, aligning with him could sully your rep(and this was BEFORE his steroid admission).  
A-Rod is a grown man and should be able to handle himself.   At one point, they were buds.   Only they know why that ceased to be. 

As for self-serving and selfish, no one gives themselves up at the plate like Jeter to move a runner.   Sure some of that is selfish(LOOK AT JETER!!!  HE'S SUCH A TEAM PLAYER!!!) but he could hit more homers, get more extra base hits and drive in more runs by pulling the ball.   He doesn't do that.   As for less walks, that could just be a by-product of not missing.  His power is down.   Could just be a different approach, put the bat on the ball rather than attempt to drive it, or it could be he's seeing more strikes with Ichiro(who puts the bat on the ball a lot also) and Cano coming up after him.  Pitchers could actually prefer to pitch to Jeter now.
Pretty sure they did indeed hug it out...

10/17/2012 7:07 PM

Nah, that's just A-Rod preparing to kiss Jeter's ***.

10/17/2012 8:01 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 10/17/2012 2:59:00 PM (view original):
I'm sure you have no idea what A-Rod was doing.

If nothing else, he lacks self-awareness.   He's a goddam lightening rod for **** like this.   Why, when you're stinking and your team is losing, start flirting with fans in the 9th inning?  What possible good can come from it(assuming, of course, that he could get laid without doing it)?    It's just stupid and one of the many reasons A-Rod gets more **** for less than anyone in baseball.
If this is anyone but ARod interacting with fans, this isn't a story. But it's ARod. So it's fun to rip on him.
10/17/2012 8:56 PM
Just heard this on Mike and Mike:

If you take away ARod's 2009 post-season, where he was amazing, here is the total numbers from his other 7 post-seasons with the Yankees (jncluding the current one)"

44 games, 199 PAs, 4 HRs, 15 RBIs.  .210 AVG, .327 OBP, .329 SLG, .656 OPS.
10/18/2012 8:47 AM
Those stats are wrong.  I was going to do the math where you take away his worst postseason to make this fair, but those stats aren't even right, so I won't bother.

And if you take away ARod's 2009 post-season, the Yankees haven't won a championship in 12 years.

Edit: I missed "with the Yankees."  My bad.  It's correct.

10/18/2012 9:10 AM
◂ Prev 1...5|6|7|8|9...48 Next ▸
A-Rod: Satan? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.