A-Rod: Satan? Topic

Posted by lad_buck on 9/19/2013 11:16:00 PM (view original):
Posted by iverbure on 9/19/2013 3:03:00 AM (view original):
not sure if this has been mentioned yet but the japanesse pretty much came out and said they are using doctored balls that travel further.
if there was such a thing as a brainiac-and-a-half, then this would be brilliant. a definite three a.m. comment, where we are led to believe that  japan decides to dishonor one of their national treasures, sadaharu oh, by making baseballs go farther?

shouldn't have hideo, and yu, and other japanese pitchers been notified that the balls they were pitching would go farther off the bat? that u.s. mlb scouts found all of  these japanese pitchers that would make the big leagues, even after japanese batters hit baseballs farther than american-haiti baseballs?

the above article was posted to show the extremes in normalizing baseball sluggers to the rest of a leagues batter stats. the fifty-seven homers out-distance the 2nd place homerun finisher, who was barely in the mid-thirties with his homerun totals. all that with baseballs made to go further? what bonds and arod did was not the same thing, when this era produces twenty other sluggers doing the same thing.

sosa and his corked bat, and your implication that japanese batters benefit from balls that go farther, just makes no justifiable sense, whatsoever.

what sadaharu oh did was so unique a feat, that across-the-board when reviewing any major league, or japanese, seasons, no batter has achieved the separation from the rest of his batting peers as largely and definitively as sadaharu oh. no season has ever produced such a monumental chasm in median composite averages, from the slugger at the top. not even ruth.

u are making a rather large assumption that  japanese people in charge would actually do something as dumb as to make baseballs go farther. especially in a game so dominated by pitching. that it is quite telling, and i hope u were able to sleep it off. take a couple days rest, while u are at it. 
It's not an assumption when they come out and say it...

http://japandailypress.com/japanese-professional-baseball-finally-admits-to-secretly-changing-ball-design-for-excitement-1230470/
9/20/2013 2:15 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 9/20/2013 12:13:00 PM (view original):
Posted by mfahie on 9/20/2013 7:51:00 AM (view original):
By the way, just because there is a huge statistical separation between a player and his contemporaries doesn't in any way mean that the player is better than (or even comparable to) a completely different set of players. It is precisely when competition is more uneven that outliers like that appear.

This is the main reason why there were so many .400 BA seasons in early baseball and we haven't seen one in over 70 years.

Balentien deserves congratulations, but it has no relevance to discussions of Major League Baseball.

Yep.

Check out the separation between the best high school hitters and the average of all high school players. It's enormous.

Everything I've seen suggests that Japan is a minor league equivalent. So, good job Balentien (and previously, Oh) you are (were) the AA equivalent record holder.

everything we have seen suggests that u are wearing clown shoes again today. we will not even venture a guess as to which color your clown shoes are, but surely u took the time to make sure that they are colorful.

high school baseball is loaded with .700 hitters, .600 hitters, and .500 hitters. pitchers stand out even more so at such a level. rookie of the year, hideo nomo was not pitching in some sub-standard league that can be compared to high school, or minor league levels. yu darvish has his place here as an american league strikeout pitcher. u are always dead wrong in your baseball player evaluations.

it is clear to us that u are the forum equivalent of one of those punchable clowns, filled with nothing but air. everyone hammers your punchable face, and u just pop back up again, to be socked as hard as ever. stay out of these baseball forums, and take your place back in your political threads.

the definer comes from wisdom, which says that a fool, and his money, soon part. your clown shoes must therefore also follow the path of the fool. everything else that u type in these baseball forums must follow suit with your foolish typings that say more about u, than the actual subject that u think u are typing about.

u have no money to purchase proprietary baseball numbers. u have no money to buy grand theft auto five. fools are fodder in these forums, and u keep coming back to prove it so. this thread is about whether arod, bonds, or braun, or others, deserve recognition for slugging accomplishments, in comparison to other sluggers whose careers were not effected by similar choices and circumstances.

foolish, foolish, foolish, is the folly of the fool. u haven't looked at high school batting numbers, and u don't look at minor league numbers either. u are nothing but a sponge for whatever espn has to soak up, your monkey-see-monkey-do foolishness has nothing to do with major league baseball scouts, period.

9/20/2013 2:35 PM (edited)
Wait, you're making this big a deal about a guy who you just said may only hit 20 HRs in MLB? Yawn.

1) Hideki Matsui hit 50 HR's in Japan. He was a pretty nice player in MLB, but only once got over 30 HRs.

2) The runners-up to Balentien are in their mid-30s of HR's, true, but in the last decade there have been plenty of mid-40s HR hitters. It seems more like a fluky year than Balentien being some sort of giant.

3) I don't doubt he'll get a shot in MLB with that sort of year. But I'm not particularly excited about him.

9/20/2013 8:09 PM
Major league scouts?  Like the ones who saw Balentien play for a couple years in MLB and were so impressed that he wound up in Japan after spending all of 2010 in the minors?

The fact that a handful of Japanese stars have found real success in MLB doesn't mean there isn't a cavernous gulf in the overall talent level between the two leagues.
9/20/2013 8:35 PM
Posted by mfahie on 9/20/2013 8:09:00 PM (view original):
Wait, you're making this big a deal about a guy who you just said may only hit 20 HRs in MLB? Yawn.

1) Hideki Matsui hit 50 HR's in Japan. He was a pretty nice player in MLB, but only once got over 30 HRs.

2) The runners-up to Balentien are in their mid-30s of HR's, true, but in the last decade there have been plenty of mid-40s HR hitters. It seems more like a fluky year than Balentien being some sort of giant.

3) I don't doubt he'll get a shot in MLB with that sort of year. But I'm not particularly excited about him.

the article is what it is. the sidenote at the bottom is my comment. its not just scouts. its not just the hitting coach for the world champion san francisco giants. its not just the san francisco chronicle, with sportswriters in constant attendance. its not just other teams coveting him when contractual pot-holes are re-paved, and become smooth again.

its the gap. it gapes. my comment stands. thats what gets the attention. its how wis works here, because the gap is gapingly huge.

screw the homerun totals of arod, bonds, and mcgwire. matsui was major league material, as he stood out, and above others. are u also yawning at mike trouts homerun totals this year? get real. he is coming back to the major leagues, even if he still has to produce two more japanese baseball seasons

don't take this wrong, or twist it, but i sure would appreciate it if u would kindly yawn a second time at mike trouts homer total this year. thank u, truly.
9/20/2013 8:51 PM
Posted by AlCheez on 9/20/2013 8:37:00 PM (view original):
Major league scouts?  Like the ones who saw Balentien play for a couple years in MLB and were so impressed that he wound up in Japan after spending all of 2010 in the minors?

The fact that a handful of Japanese stars have found real success in MLB doesn't mean there isn't a cavernous gulf in the overall talent level between the two leagues.
no. the gap that i am referring to, once baseball-reference.com finalizes this latest japanese season, is going to show up in the overall median league averages such as hitting, slugging, etc.

if sadaharu oh hits .355 in a season where the league-wide batting average is .235, then u surely can grasp the significance of it, as far as a more detailed comparison of his batting successes. if sadaharu oh hits .355, and chuck klein hits .386 in 1930, then i tend to cut to the chase. the league wide batting average in 1930 was .300+. chuck kleins .386 is not the same, compared to sadaharu ohs .355.

again, my comment should also reflect that sluggers in general are not all the same. arod, bonds, and mcgwire, all bolster my comment, as none of these players have stood out above one another. so sad.

those scouts responsible for bringing attention to wladamir balentien a few years ago? those scouts don't look very good today, for letting him get away. he is coming back to the major leagues, here in north america. he worked hard and impressed the right people. he stands out, no doubt.

appreciate your comments. taking a different path, other than the arod, bonds, mcgwire path to the asterisk. bring on any roger maris type. it works.

9/20/2013 9:29 PM (edited)
Hmm I must have missed something. I'm pretty sure I didn't say anything about Mike Trout. He's probably the best player in baseball.
9/20/2013 10:04 PM
Posted by lad_buck on 9/20/2013 2:35:00 PM (view original):
By the way, just because there is a huge statistical separation between a player and his contemporaries doesn't in any way mean that the player is better than (or even comparable to) a completely different set of players. It is precisely when competition is more uneven that outliers like that appear.

This is the main reason why there were so many .400 BA seasons in early baseball and we haven't seen one in over 70 years.

Balentien deserves congratulations, but it has no relevance to discussions of Major League Baseball.

Yep.

Check out the separation between the best high school hitters and the average of all high school players. It's enormous.

Everything I've seen suggests that Japan is a minor league equivalent. So, good job Balentien (and previously, Oh) you are (were) the AA equivalent record holder.

everything we have seen suggests that u are wearing clown shoes again today. we will not even venture a guess as to which color your clown shoes are, but surely u took the time to make sure that they are colorful.

high school baseball is loaded with .700 hitters, .600 hitters, and .500 hitters. pitchers stand out even more so at such a level. rookie of the year, hideo nomo was not pitching in some sub-standard league that can be compared to high school, or minor league levels. yu darvish has his place here as an american league strikeout pitcher. u are always dead wrong in your baseball player evaluations.

it is clear to us that u are the forum equivalent of one of those punchable clowns, filled with nothing but air. everyone hammers your punchable face, and u just pop back up again, to be socked as hard as ever. stay out of these baseball forums, and take your place back in your political threads.

the definer comes from wisdom, which says that a fool, and his money, soon part. your clown shoes must therefore also follow the path of the fool. everything else that u type in these baseball forums must follow suit with your foolish typings that say more about u, than the actual subject that u think u are typing about.

u have no money to purchase proprietary baseball numbers. u have no money to buy grand theft auto five. fools are fodder in these forums, and u keep coming back to prove it so. this thread is about whether arod, bonds, or braun, or others, deserve recognition for slugging accomplishments, in comparison to other sluggers whose careers were not effected by similar choices and circumstances.

foolish, foolish, foolish, is the folly of the fool. u haven't looked at high school batting numbers, and u don't look at minor league numbers either. u are nothing but a sponge for whatever espn has to soak up, your monkey-see-monkey-do foolishness has nothing to do with major league baseball scouts, period.

"rookie of the year, hideo nomo was not pitching in some sub-standard league that can be compared to high school, or minor league levels"

You realize that just about every rookie of the year comes from the minors, right? Japan is comparable to the minors in overall talent, not the majors.
9/20/2013 10:46 PM
Posted by mfahie on 9/20/2013 8:09:00 PM (view original):

Quote post by mfahie on 9/20/2013 8:09:00 PM:

thats ok. i have yawned more than three times at trouts homer totals this year. claiming hideki matsui as swatting more than 30 in one season, just puts him in trouts company, as trout also has had only one season of 30 or more homeruns.

pujols and hamilton. both experienced in world series play. even trout cannot get his team to the world series. ernie banks lived an entire career of slugging homeruns, and never got to a world series. trout is incapable of picking up the slack. trouts power needs to improve dramatically, before he will be known as the best player in baseball.

imagine a baseball player who hits 20 plus homeruns in a season. yawn some more. 
9/20/2013 11:07 PM (edited)
Posted by mfahie on 9/20/2013 10:04:00 PM (view original):
Hmm I must have missed something. I'm pretty sure I didn't say anything about Mike Trout. He's probably the best player in baseball.
my previous post answers, and addresses that.
9/20/2013 10:50 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 9/20/2013 10:46:00 PM (view original):

Yep.

"rookie of the year, hideo nomo was not pitching in some sub-standard league that can be compared to high school, or minor league levels"

You realize that just about every rookie of the year comes from the minors, right? Japan is comparable to the minors in overall talent, not the majors.
comparing minor leagues and high school leagues as similar, is another major mistake in how u view and evaluate baseball players. they are not the same as college leagues, or taiwanese little leagues, or japanese pro baseball leagues, or church park leagues.

nomo did not pitch as a minor leaguer. valenzuela came straight from the mexican leagues, which of course is not double aa minor league baseball, either. my classrooms and classmates just rip u to pieces. 

all that u are really typing is WHAT YOU REALIZE. not what i, or anyone else realizes. nothing about u is real. u just keep repeating whatever trash u find, as u scavenge the baseball landscape here. u don't fit well in baseball forums, or communities. it is way too evident. 
9/20/2013 11:47 PM
this thread is about disgraced sluggers, and un-disgraced sluggers. stick to it.

a dozen years ago, bonds decided to build his own pedestal. custom fit, just for him. mlb's pedestals were not good enough to satisfy his greed. many were fooled that he was the best, surpassing ruth, then aaron.

no matter what, baseball will now always need sluggers, more than any other aspect of the game, except pitching. ruth proved that, ninety years ago, when he changed baseball forever, with a decade of slugging batsmanship, that will never happen again.. what they will be saying in ten years, can only get worse, as it surely isn't what was being said, even ten years ago, today.

disgraced, or un-disgraced? too obvious. go ahead and disgrace wladamir balentien. we will never forget your ****-poor views on everything else that is baseball.
9/21/2013 12:09 AM
Posted by lad_buck on 9/20/2013 11:47:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bad_luck on 9/20/2013 10:46:00 PM (view original):

Yep.

comparing minor leagues and high school leagues as similar, is another major mistake in how u view and evaluate baseball players. they are not the same as college leagues, or taiwanese little leagues, or japanese pro baseball leagues, or church park leagues.

nomo did not pitch as a minor leaguer. valenzuela came straight from the mexican leagues, which of course is not double aa minor league baseball, either. my classrooms and classmates just rip u to pieces. 

all that u are really typing is WHAT YOU REALIZE. not what i, or anyone else realizes. nothing about u is real. u just keep repeating whatever trash u find, as u scavenge the baseball landscape here. u don't fit well in baseball forums, or communities. it is way too evident. 
You missed the point. High school was just an example to show that, the lower the level of the competition, the more extreme performances you see. Like you said, some kids hit .700 in high school. The average HS BA is no where near .700.

Regarding ROY, Nomo was great and deserved it. But him coming here and winning it doesn't show that Japan is equivilant to MLB. Plenty of guys have come straight from AA and won the ROY. You wouldn't suggest that AA is equivilant to MLB, would you?
9/21/2013 11:21 AM
He's right, & you're wrong... Itsa' lot like having a conversation with good, &
intelligent, people... Like people who may talk about the long & successful
career of Frank Sinatra... Talk fill'd w/ anecdotes, humor, & highlights...

The quirky stuff, like Frank Sinatra in his later years, when he announces he
is putting his name on a new line of quality, exquisite neckwear...

Then, U butt in, & start mouthing-off about 'alleged mob ties'...

U R so VERY off-subject, time-&-time again... No excuses, 4-sure... It doesn't
look like U R gonna' get the validation to further pursue your next post... Yuck... 
9/21/2013 12:06 PM
Seems like U R the 1 who's missing alot of points made here...

Eye can't believe that eye actually made efforts to help your own
'wHaCk' perception of something so simple as baseball... What
was eye think'n ???...

People & baseball & U just don't mix... If a young female softball
pitcher has thrown 9 straight no-hitters, the whole world turns an
eye her way, just 2 see if she can pitch a 10th straight...

U seem more concerned that MTrout still has not hit a stand-up
triple in his career... This is baseball, at any level...

Give it up... U R way too absurd w/ your own sense of gospel...
9/21/2013 12:17 PM
◂ Prev 1...34|35|36|37|38...48 Next ▸
A-Rod: Satan? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.