Los Angeles Lakers Disaster 12-13 - mercy killing Topic

Posted by stinenavy on 2/7/2013 7:07:00 PM (view original):
They could do a sign and trade that made more sense from the Hawks side. LeBron left the Cavs in a very unpopular way and they still did a sign and trade that got him more cash and only netted draft picks. Giving up Horford in a deal would be absurd.

If Lakers refused to do a sign and trade that didn't include Horford/Teague, would Howard really elect to stay in a place he doesn't want to be, and continue to be Kobe's punching bag, because they can give him the most cash?
That's because LeBron was prepared to sign with the Heat regardless of whether the Cavs enabled him to do, so he and the Heat had the leverage.  He took the extra year from the Cavs, but actually still took less than the max to give the Heat a little extra flexibility.  2 things make Dwight's situation very different - the fact that his health has become a question mark and the fact that they've since reduced the maximum deal length by a year, which increases the advantage the Lakers give him in a contract in terms of percentage.

This assumes that things haven't reached the point where he's not willing to re-sign in LA.  If that changes, then yes, it's a LeBron-type situation.
2/7/2013 8:06 PM (edited)
If you are the Hawks and you want Dwight, wouldn't it make sense to try and trade for him right now.  Something like Dwight and Metta for Horford, Korver, and Petro (for money).  Gives Atlanta a real shot at challenging the Heat this year and gives them control of Dwight (should he elect to leave).  It also means they still have the rights to Smith (and Teague) who is Dwight's friend and thus makes it more likely that both return.  LA gets probably as a good a return as they are going to get by getting Horford and Korver's shooting would be a great fit on that team (it also gets them out of one year of Metta saving them a **** ton of money).

I really think a team of Teague, Stevenson, Metta, Smith, Howard, Pachulia, Harris, and Morrow could challenge the Heat this year, add back in Louis Williams and re-sign Teague, Smith, and Howard next summer and you have a team that will challenge for a title for years if Howard can stay healthy.
2/12/2013 8:10 AM
Hawks would do that deal easily, but unless the Lakers have no faith that Howard will ever to superstar form or that he'll walk, it wouldn't be a good idea for them.

You win championships with superstars (Detroit being the exception) and rolling the dice hoping Dwight returns to form and re-signs is a good gamble compared to building the next Lakers chapter around a good, but not great Al Horford.
2/12/2013 8:16 PM
Posted by moranis on 2/12/2013 8:10:00 AM (view original):
If you are the Hawks and you want Dwight, wouldn't it make sense to try and trade for him right now.  Something like Dwight and Metta for Horford, Korver, and Petro (for money).  Gives Atlanta a real shot at challenging the Heat this year and gives them control of Dwight (should he elect to leave).  It also means they still have the rights to Smith (and Teague) who is Dwight's friend and thus makes it more likely that both return.  LA gets probably as a good a return as they are going to get by getting Horford and Korver's shooting would be a great fit on that team (it also gets them out of one year of Metta saving them a **** ton of money).

I really think a team of Teague, Stevenson, Metta, Smith, Howard, Pachulia, Harris, and Morrow could challenge the Heat this year, add back in Louis Williams and re-sign Teague, Smith, and Howard next summer and you have a team that will challenge for a title for years if Howard can stay healthy.
It wouldn't make sense for Atlanta to make that trade and it wouldn't enable them to defeat the Heat in the playoffs this year anyway.
2/12/2013 8:39 PM
Posted by ncmusician_7 on 2/12/2013 8:39:00 PM (view original):
Posted by moranis on 2/12/2013 8:10:00 AM (view original):

It wouldn't make sense for Atlanta to make that trade and it wouldn't enable them to defeat the Heat in the playoffs this year anyway.
Oh I don't know, a team with Teague, Stevenson, Metta, Smith, and Howard with Pachulia, Harris, and I. Johnson seems like a team that would pose significant match-up problems for the Heat.  Obviously Dwight would have to be healthy, but if I'm Miami I would not be looking forward to that match-up at all.
2/13/2013 8:31 AM
Doing a Dr. Buss Theme League, where owners could twist any player who appeared in a Lakers' uniform since Buss bought the team in '79, would be a great tribute, but since WIS drove-out so many owners over the last few years by refusing to touch the NBA SIM, I doubt there'd be even close to enough interest.
2/19/2013 3:27 PM
that'd be cool all3... cap? advertise it?  you never know!
2/25/2013 10:28 PM
I really do love the idea, but since I'm struggling to fill an Alumni League, I don't see how I'd be able to fill a Laker League.  Just don't feel like putting myself through the headaches.
2/28/2013 9:58 AM
well  ****, now Kobe's out
3/14/2013 10:22 AM
Still a hope they don't make the playoffs. With the Jazz blowing up it could be the Mavs that have a chance to knock the Lakers out of the playoffs.
3/14/2013 1:15 PM

Pau set back after scrimmaging

3/17/2013 7:52 PM
half a game out of the 7 spot
3/18/2013 8:33 AM
2 W's with Kobe sitting on the sideline.  Fairly impressive.  Hopefully the teamwork and attitude continues when both he and Gasol return.  If so, this team might be dangerous after all.  If not, they still might finish 10th.
3/18/2013 9:53 AM
I'd rather the Lakers not make the playoffs, but if they do I want to see them play the Thunder and get swept.
3/19/2013 12:07 AM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
◂ Prev 1...6|7|8|9 Next ▸
Los Angeles Lakers Disaster 12-13 - mercy killing Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.