2012 Post Season Awards Topic

Posted by dahsdebater on 10/23/2012 8:20:00 PM (view original):
I'm sorry, I didn't realize the manager made his pitchers pitch better.  Oh wait.  That's because it's bullshit.  Give Rick Adair Pitching Coach of the Year if you want, but at least come up with a better argument for Buck as Manager of the Year than "the pitchers did better than previously."  For example, better than last year WHEN HE WAS ALSO THE MANAGER.
1) Again, STOP posing as an Orioles fan when you never miss a chance to jump on someone else's bandwagon.

2) Managers don't make their players perform better. Managers put their players in the best position for them and the team to succeed. Showalter did that better than anyone this season. You know who else did it really well? Girardi. I actually would not argue in the least if someone made an argument for Girardi as MOY this season. The Yankees were a complete mess this season with injuries and underperformers and still won 95 games. I give Girardi a ton of credit for that.

Managers aren't responsible for player performance, but they are responsible for TEAM performance and getting the most out of their players.
10/23/2012 10:08 PM (edited)
Bob Melvin.
10/23/2012 11:25 PM
Again, deserving, just like Girardi and possibly Ventura. But I don't see anyone who did it better than Buck this year, from preseason expectations, to an insane number of moving parts on his roster throughout the season. Call me a homer if you want to, but when the voting comes in, I think a lot of voters will agree with me.
10/23/2012 11:59 PM
That doesn't make it right.  Jeter won multiple gold gloves and he's never even been average.  Just because you win a vote for an award doesn't mean you are most deserving.

And if the criterion is what manager did the most to improve their team's performance above expectations, as you've been shouting repeatedly for pages, how the hell can you see an argument for Girardi?  At least be consistently stupid.

And stop trying to say I'm not a fan because I can see flaws, or see good in players or managers on other teams.  That's total bullshit.  You can be a Democrat and not like Obama.  Or be a Republican and respect things he's done as the president.  I'm not trying to make this a political argument.  I'm pointing out that just affiliating with some group - in this case a sports team - doesn't mean you have to approve of everyone and everything that group's leadership embraces and hate everyone and everything affiliated with rival groups.  Don't get me wrong, I think Buck did a great job this season.  But he underutilized Jim Johnson.  He batted JJ Hardy #2 all season, which was stupid from the start by any objective measure.  I think Bob Melvin did more with less.  I'm sure he made mistakes, too.  I only watched a few dozen A's games this season, so I can't tell you what they were.  But the A's won more games against a slightly stronger schedule, and frankly no hitter on that team compares with Jones, Markakis, or Davis.
10/24/2012 12:22 AM
OK new topic, who wins World Series MVP?
10/24/2012 1:08 AM
Quintin Berry. 
10/24/2012 7:05 AM
Prince
10/24/2012 5:08 PM

Verlander

10/24/2012 6:59 PM
Too late to vote for Sandoval?
10/24/2012 9:42 PM
After seeing how badly I just jinxed Verlander, I'll change my vote to Cain and Panda.
10/24/2012 9:54 PM
Posted by dahsdebater on 10/24/2012 5:08:00 PM (view original):
Prince
I wish!  He's my boy...
10/25/2012 12:01 AM
◂ Prev 1234
2012 Post Season Awards Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.