Previous coach promised minutes? Topic

really? you continue to amaze. every time i lower my opinion of you, you scream, ITS NOT LOW ENOUGH YET!! after your child-like insistence on everyone "agreeing to disagree" (is this kindergarden? i thought people here were adults, not five year olds), you won't even do it now? what a joke. you are a joke, and not in the haha funny sort of way.
Let's be clear on a few of things:

First, I don't much care what your opinion is of me. I'm not here to win a popularity contest, nor am I here to impress you personally. I'm here to have a discussion about aspects of the game. If you're willing to hate me because you disagree with what I have to say, that's YOUR PROBLEM, and I'm not going to waste my time bothering with it. This is about HD, which is a GAME and we're merely discussing it - maybe you should relax and not take this stuff so seriously as to lower your opinion of people as a result of it.

Second, I asked people to "agree to disagree" because the unnecessary stuff - personal attacks, namecalling, insult hurling, attempts to bully others etc. - was at a ridiculous level. These are the things that actually ARE childish.  I find it to be very sad that while you're willing to tolerate and perhaps even participate in that kind of horrid behavior, you would get things 100% backward and actually call someone childish for attempting to stop it and asking everyone to "agree to disagree".

Third, I can "agree to disagree" on a great many things, but I won't do it when it's clear the other person doesn't really have a position, as they have nothing to offer to support their position and just want to throw it out there without even trying. I'll give them a fair chance to show they have something of substance to defend their position in case I"m wrong, but if they can't or won't do that, then there's no need to "agree to disagree" with a position that doesn't even actually exist. You can't agree, disagree, or even "agree to disagree" unless there's an actual case being made for another position.

rednation,

Using my player as an example, a feature allowing me to have him "run laps" (or whatever you want to call it) could have been instituted as soon as he sent me the email saying he wasn't happy and his WE started to drop a point or two.

Sure, he's not happy with the amount of time he gets on the court, but he's even less happy with having to run laps. So in order to keep from having to run laps, he'll make sure to give a better effort in practice and when he does get to play.

As for the direction the program is going, he has no reason to be unhappy about that.

If you want to implement a feature where the entire team can run laps to keep WE up, that's fine too. Put it up with the practice time for the various basketball IQs then.

Just give me some way to have ultimate control over my team the way I'm supposed to in this game.
9/7/2012 3:05 PM
Posted by rednation58 on 9/7/2012 2:34:00 PM (view original):
If we are talking about making a specific kid run laps, say for instance your C who is a JR and tanking in WE, why would his WE increase? He already isn't getting the court time he feels he should get on top of now having to run laps because he's not happy with the direction the program is going. One aspect I don't believe you equate in your theory here is that sometimes guys don't realize they are actually a worse player than who is in front of them. Of course it's obvious with the standouts, the stars, blue chip athletes who just can flat out play, but if you're starting players over a guy because they have more "potential" for growth than this upperclassmen, as a coach you can see this but as a player it would absolutely boggle their mind at the present time.

Making this type of player run extra laps would only serve to expedite his exit from your team. The player is required to give more and gain nothing. From a players point of view this would not work. I've seen plenty of people quit after being punished by the coach... If you make one player run extra laps, you effectively make that player the black sheep of the team. To gain any positive WE from a single player... you'd effectively have to punish the entire team for one players lack of desire. In the military everyone is punished for the mistake of one because they operate as a single unit. The same process is generally used in team sports.
Nice to see that at least someone understands my point.
9/7/2012 3:15 PM
Posted by bistiza on 9/7/2012 3:05:00 PM (view original):
really? you continue to amaze. every time i lower my opinion of you, you scream, ITS NOT LOW ENOUGH YET!! after your child-like insistence on everyone "agreeing to disagree" (is this kindergarden? i thought people here were adults, not five year olds), you won't even do it now? what a joke. you are a joke, and not in the haha funny sort of way.

First, I don't much care what your opinion is of me. I'm not here to win a popularity contest, nor am I here to impress you personally. I'm here to have a discussion about aspects of the game. If you're willing to hate me because you disagree with what I have to say, that's YOUR PROBLEM, and I'm not going to waste my time bothering with it. This is about HD, which is a GAME and we're merely discussing it - maybe you should relax and not take this stuff so seriously as to lower your opinion of people as a result of it.

Second, I asked people to "agree to disagree" because the unnecessary stuff - personal attacks, namecalling, insult hurling, attempts to bully others etc. - was at a ridiculous level. These are the things that actually ARE childish.  I find it to be very sad that while you're willing to tolerate and perhaps even participate in that kind of horrid behavior, you would get things 100% backward and actually call someone childish for attempting to stop it and asking everyone to "agree to disagree".

Third, I can "agree to disagree" on a great many things, but I won't do it when it's clear the other person doesn't really have a position, as they have nothing to offer to support their position and just want to throw it out there without even trying. I'll give them a fair chance to show they have something of substance to defend their position in case I"m wrong, but if they can't or won't do that, then there's no need to "agree to disagree" with a position that doesn't even actually exist. You can't agree, disagree, or even "agree to disagree" unless there's an actual case being made for another position.

rednation,

Using my player as an example, a feature allowing me to have him "run laps" (or whatever you want to call it) could have been instituted as soon as he sent me the email saying he wasn't happy and his WE started to drop a point or two.

Sure, he's not happy with the amount of time he gets on the court, but he's even less happy with having to run laps. So in order to keep from having to run laps, he'll make sure to give a better effort in practice and when he does get to play.

As for the direction the program is going, he has no reason to be unhappy about that.

If you want to implement a feature where the entire team can run laps to keep WE up, that's fine too. Put it up with the practice time for the various basketball IQs then.

Just give me some way to have ultimate control over my team the way I'm supposed to in this game.
"Sure, he's not happy with the amount of time he gets on the court, but he's even less happy with having to run laps. So in order to keep from having to run laps, he'll make sure to give a better effort in practice and when he does get to play." 

Whether you realize it or not (and I'm sure you won't), this totally undermines your theory and supports both Rednation's and mine about this specific kid's work ethic.  His work ethic is dropping because he's not getting enough time, so you'll have him run laps.  You say yourself that he'll be "even less happy with having to run laps".  News flash, that means if you have him actually run laps using the new feature that you want instituted, his work ethic will DROP EVEN FURTHER.

Or are you suggesting a feature that "threatens" to make him run laps?  Because I can tell you from my specific point of view, I don't respond well to threats.  At all.  They **** me off.  Really bad.  And nearly everyone that I associate with or deal with don't respond well to threats.  So my stance on this is that I disagree vehemently with your proposed new feature in that I feel that in "real life" it would work just about exactly opposite of how you envision it working.

I can tell you with 100% certainty that having me run laps as punishment or threatening me with having to run laps WILL NOT increase my work ethic at all.  EVER.  Again, all it will do is **** me off.  Period.  And I don't think I'm in the minority here.
9/7/2012 3:31 PM (edited)

Um, really?  You never offered any examples to support your standpoint.  You use logical fallacy (probability that something will happen) to support what little case you have.  And now you say you can't agree to disagree because the other person's stance has no merit?  Classic

9/7/2012 3:33 PM
Posted by angmar on 9/7/2012 1:25:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bistiza on 9/7/2012 12:18:00 PM (view original):
angmar,

Yes, some people are like the person you mention. They get frustrated when they don't get what they want and they take it out on others. They stop working very hard, or they make demands, or they just quit.

From everything I've seen, those types of people are the exception rather than the rule. Most people don't quit at something if they don't get whatever they want.

Even people who want to do this usually don't because there are often consequences they'd rather avoid.

If you think otherwise, perhaps you should suggest to the person you mention that he should go to his boss and demand an immediately effective raise to double what he presently makes and make it known if that doesn't happen he'll either work very lazily or quit altogether. 
Umm, yeah, we both work for the Feds under a structured salary system, so going to our boss and demanding a raise wouldn't quite work anyway, but nice try.

I'm just not quite understanding the logic behind how "punishing" someone (running laps) is supposed to RAISE a person's work ethic.  Damn near EVERY person I've EVER known from my kid all the way through the military and up to and including this Fed job gets ****** when they get punished, not motivated.  I'm going to have to disagree and say YOUR guy is the exception to the rule.

Someone getting motivated when they get punished, ha ha  **rolls eyes**.  Talk about living in a dream world.  I sincerely hope that you don't supervise people wherever you work because if you do I could honestly see some of them going postal after listening to your rah, rah "motivational" speeches  **rolls eyes yet again**.  Have to agree with Gill, if that's what you've "seen", you've "seen" a very, very limited amount of the REAL world **rolls eyes a third time**.

+1

"I'm just not quite understanding the logic behind how "punishing" someone (running laps) is supposed to RAISE a person's work ethic. Damn near EVERY person I've EVER known from my kid all the way through the military and up to and including this Fed job gets ****** when they get punished, not motivated. I'm going to have to disagree and say YOUR guy is the exception to the rule."

Well said angmar. 

9/7/2012 3:43 PM
If you're willing to hate me because you disagree with what I have to say...
One problem is that quite often you disagree with what you have to say, coupled with an insistence that you don't do that.
9/7/2012 3:46 PM

rednation,

When I say with he's unhappy with the direction of the program, I'm referring to him being benched behind guys that aren't in his mind that much better than him that he'd lose his position.

Why would he give more effort if he's already unhappy? In order to keep from running laps especially if it's just him, he'd more likely transfer to a program that will allow him PT. College kids have options. If they are not happy they can leave, especially if your program isn't very prestigious. I believe in this case you assume too much of your players.

I guess the question stands as this: In your particular situation, is it really game efficient to develop a punishment system which halts WE loss when the vast majority of coaches in WIS understand that PT keeps players happy and also recruit in a manner in which their JR/SR players are more than likely always going to get the required amount of time?

9/7/2012 3:49 PM
Ultimate Kontrol of mine program
9/7/2012 4:09 PM
Posted by p6453 on 9/7/2012 3:43:00 PM (view original):
Posted by angmar on 9/7/2012 1:25:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bistiza on 9/7/2012 12:18:00 PM (view original):
angmar,

Yes, some people are like the person you mention. They get frustrated when they don't get what they want and they take it out on others. They stop working very hard, or they make demands, or they just quit.

From everything I've seen, those types of people are the exception rather than the rule. Most people don't quit at something if they don't get whatever they want.

Even people who want to do this usually don't because there are often consequences they'd rather avoid.

If you think otherwise, perhaps you should suggest to the person you mention that he should go to his boss and demand an immediately effective raise to double what he presently makes and make it known if that doesn't happen he'll either work very lazily or quit altogether. 
Umm, yeah, we both work for the Feds under a structured salary system, so going to our boss and demanding a raise wouldn't quite work anyway, but nice try.

I'm just not quite understanding the logic behind how "punishing" someone (running laps) is supposed to RAISE a person's work ethic.  Damn near EVERY person I've EVER known from my kid all the way through the military and up to and including this Fed job gets ****** when they get punished, not motivated.  I'm going to have to disagree and say YOUR guy is the exception to the rule.

Someone getting motivated when they get punished, ha ha  **rolls eyes**.  Talk about living in a dream world.  I sincerely hope that you don't supervise people wherever you work because if you do I could honestly see some of them going postal after listening to your rah, rah "motivational" speeches  **rolls eyes yet again**.  Have to agree with Gill, if that's what you've "seen", you've "seen" a very, very limited amount of the REAL world **rolls eyes a third time**.

+1

"I'm just not quite understanding the logic behind how "punishing" someone (running laps) is supposed to RAISE a person's work ethic. Damn near EVERY person I've EVER known from my kid all the way through the military and up to and including this Fed job gets ****** when they get punished, not motivated. I'm going to have to disagree and say YOUR guy is the exception to the rule."

Well said angmar. 

Thanks P.  Can't wait to see how this one gets spun.  I'm sure it'll be classic though.
9/7/2012 4:19 PM
Posted by llamanunts on 9/7/2012 3:47:00 PM (view original):
If you're willing to hate me because you disagree with what I have to say...
One problem is that quite often you disagree with what you have to say, coupled with an insistence that you don't do that.
no way. that never happens. NEVER. if it happened, he would have told you it happened, but he didn't, so it didn't. if your logic was not so inferior, you would have realized that by now!
9/7/2012 4:55 PM

rednation,

To "hate" you your level of maturity would have to raise two or three notches. I can't really 'hate' a child for being immature ...
9/7/2012 5:54 PM
I've never done it, but I would think this thread would be a lot like going down the rabbit hole if I were on acid while reading it. It's just, surreal...
9/7/2012 6:09 PM
By the way, whats the official view on kids whose WE goes waaay down when redshirted?  Even though they have no hope of playing as freshmen, even though they have great potential and even though the coach knows that a red shirt is the best thing for them.  Does the "I ought to have total control" principal apply there also??
9/7/2012 9:31 PM
I give you Mr Reider whose WE dropped by just more than half - he has high potential in almost every category, a couple of high highs - he can be good some day but would never ever see the court as a freshmanPlayer Ratings
Name Yr. Pos. A SPD REB DE BLK LP PE BH P WE ST DU FT TOT
Matt Youngblood Sr. PG 94 81 50 92 45 57 99 94 77 61 85 58 C 893
Matthew Mason Jr. PG 87 94 47 97 38 25 86 81 89 57 84 86 B 871
Brian Duong So. PG 82 88 26 84 15 22 78 82 82 41 83 48 C- 731
James Wilder Sr. SG 95 86 36 99 39 66 50 76 95 73 95 54 B 864
Enoch Kazmierski Sr. SF 91 48 57 93 61 56 58 43 56 41 83 65 B 752
Billy Davis Fr. SF 73 38 43 72 44 41 50 39 61 42 59 41 B- 603
Lloyd Hampton So. PF 91 63 70 91 67 76 35 58 74 49 69 41 C+ 784
Scott Pugh So. PF 58 43 76 77 80 87 15 27 39 67 72 47 C 688
Benjamin Stanton Sr. C 81 41 85 90 93 83 16 34 38 39 67 81 C- 748
Alva Divac Jr. C 90 48 87 89 95 68 25 44 55 24 55 92 C- 772
Matthew Jones So. C 89 40 93 84 88 65 23 45 75 59 67 63 C 791
Kenneth Rieder Fr. C 70 36 72 53 60 60 14 33 36 28 69 51 D+ 582
9/7/2012 9:32 PM
If I had total control - as a coach should - he would be delighted by the redshirt.  Heck, his WE should go UP because he would know that I want him around for 5 seasons so he reach his full potential and I can keep that promise to his mom that he could be a star in the ACC
9/7/2012 9:33 PM
◂ Prev 1...29|30|31|32 Next ▸
Previous coach promised minutes? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.