OL rookie trade: VETO or APPROVE Topic

A 2-for-2 trade that's come up in an OL I'm in.  The rookies' real life numbers:

Team A
1904 Mike Donlin, OF D-/C, 278 PA, .356/.406/.475, $2.5M
1907 Frank Kitson, P, 100 IP, .308 OAV, 1.53 WHIP, 5.43 ERC#, $1.3M

Team B
1959 Dave Philley, OF A+/C, 293 PA, .291/.341/.451, $2.1M
1974 Milt Wilcox, P, 72 IP, .277 OAV, 1.37 WHIP, 4.63 ERC#, $1.1M

VETO or APPROVE?
8/17/2012 10:25 PM
Seems pretty even to me - and a AAA trade would have to be significantly out of whack for me to veto.
8/17/2012 10:38 PM
approve
8/18/2012 4:21 AM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
I don't  understand why anyone would have a problem with this....
8/18/2012 5:35 AM
I veto any trade
8/18/2012 11:23 AM
approve.  It's pretty even salary wise and A is giving up Donlin's good bad./ horrible D for a good defensive player. 
8/18/2012 2:51 PM
I think that the donlin you ID is wrong. $2.5m is too high for below avge AAA.
8/18/2012 4:06 PM
You get average rookies in Open Leagues, pfattkatt.
8/18/2012 7:19 PM
Thanks for the input, guys. 

The trade went through after the pm2 game, albeit with 3 veto votes.  I was the owner of the Team B players above.  One of the other owners in the league objected to the deal in the league forum, accusing me of fleecing Team A.  So I was curious how owners not in the league would vote.  The results are pretty much what I expected: unless you're an owner who vetoes every trade on principle, you wouldn't object to this deal. 
8/18/2012 9:49 PM
trade favors B. not as even as it looks when you consider how the players are likely to be used. not sure it's enough for a veto though.
I play mostly theme leagues that don't allow trades. I'm not opposed to trades as much as I'm opposed to the bickering that so often happens when somebody doesn't like a trade.
8/19/2012 1:06 AM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
A number of you have said you veto trades involving owners in your division: why ? Just because anything they want a) must be to their advantage and so b) must be to your disadvantage ? 

So you assume that they should have the same policy no ? That is if they are also "rational actors". Except you build bad will that way, and might even want to trade with them sometime to both your advantages. Also, it is of course possible that some of the trades are not in their interest. 

Besides which, if we are talking about OLs and AAA only trades, what big difference does it really make, except if it is a question of an experienced owner using the difference in quality between position AAA (good) and pitcher AAA (bad) to rip off a newby ? Other than that one, how do you know the results ? Often it is a question of covering PA or IP. Do you really want to win because you don't have a better team, just because you prevented your rival from having enough PA at 3B or catcher or whatever ? 

Mean-spirited, poor sportsmanship and petty. 
8/19/2012 6:23 PM
Posted by crazystengel on 8/18/2012 7:19:00 PM (view original):
You get average rookies in Open Leagues, pfattkatt.
In that case, what is the issue? I think the trade is pretty even, neither pitcher is going to have a big impact, and the OFs aren't too far apart...more O for more D.
8/19/2012 6:50 PM

The acceptance of a trade implies you are getting a player or players that will improve your team.  My goal is to win, not help a rival owner who did not draft enough innings or at bats, or for any other reason.  Whether the trade works out for the owner or not-I don't care.  I would certainly expect other owners in my own division to act the exact same way-with no hard feelings.

Someday when I grow up, I hope to be as smart as you italyprof so I can sit on my high horse and call everyone who has a differing opinion than me names.

8/19/2012 6:51 PM
123 Next ▸
OL rookie trade: VETO or APPROVE Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.