Seahawks! SUPER BOWL Champs! Topic

Wilson was very good at Wisconsin, but his two worst games were the regular season losses to Michigan State and Ohio State, the two best teams they played during the regular season.  That said he was much better against Michigan State in the Big Ten championship, which Wisconsin won, and while they lost to Oregon was pretty damn good in that game. 
12/23/2014 8:11 AM
Posted by stinenavy on 12/23/2014 12:52:00 AM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 12/22/2014 9:42:00 PM (view original):

I'll inform you.   He was a nobody at NC State.   One of the biggest surprises in college football at WI.   I forget what happened to their starter but he specifically went there because they had everything but a QB.

He was a nobody that led the ACC in passing TDs 3 times. He was nobody that was recruited by not only Wisconsin, but also defending National Champion Auburn.
When you lead a conference in passing TD with 17, I think that says something about the conference.    The ACC is a basketball conference. 

Much like WI, Auburn needed a QB.   Remember their record after that National Championship?   Gene Chizik does.

Wilson's completion percentage at NC State:  54.5, 59.3, 58.4     Does that scream "ELITE PASSER!!!"?
12/23/2014 9:22 AM
Again, I'm saying Wilson isn't a guy who can stand in the pocket and pick a D apart.   Fortunately for him, he doesn't have to stand in the pocket.   

Not sure why everyone is getting so pissy about this.   I've said SEA should pay what it takes to keep him, that he plays QB exactly like they need him to, that they can(and have) win with him and that he's a top 1/3 of the QB in the NFL.    I just don't think anyone is going to say "Reminds me of Marino" no matter what system he plays in.
12/23/2014 9:26 AM
Posted by moranis on 12/23/2014 8:11:00 AM (view original):
Wilson was very good at Wisconsin, but his two worst games were the regular season losses to Michigan State and Ohio State, the two best teams they played during the regular season.  That said he was much better against Michigan State in the Big Ten championship, which Wisconsin won, and while they lost to Oregon was pretty damn good in that game. 
Dude, if you're going to abandon the stupid argument you made in the thread, at least have the decency to abandon the thread entirely.
12/23/2014 9:49 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 12/23/2014 9:26:00 AM (view original):
Again, I'm saying Wilson isn't a guy who can stand in the pocket and pick a D apart.   Fortunately for him, he doesn't have to stand in the pocket.   

Not sure why everyone is getting so pissy about this.   I've said SEA should pay what it takes to keep him, that he plays QB exactly like they need him to, that they can(and have) win with him and that he's a top 1/3 of the QB in the NFL.    I just don't think anyone is going to say "Reminds me of Marino" no matter what system he plays in.
I think I get where you're coming from now.
I do think people could say "Reminds me of Brees, except he gives us a **** of a lot more on the ground when things breakdown" if he was in the same system as Brees.
And of course no one would say "Reminds me of Marino"... Wilson has a ring 

EDIT: Later in his career the comparison could very well just be "Reminds me of Brees", because I don't think that there is anything Brees does that Wilson can't/won't be able to in a similar system.

12/23/2014 10:02 AM
I'm thinking McNabb.   He had to adjust when his legs started to go and had the football IQ to do so.   Wilson is ahead of McNabb on the IQ part and I expect he'll do just fine when he has to stop running around.   A lot of the QBs who used their legs early in their career just faded away when that part of the game was removed.

His upside is Steve Young.   But Young had the perfect system and some damn good WR.   

If he falls somewhere between the two, he'll have a really good career. 
12/23/2014 10:15 AM
I want Wilson to make the Texas Rangers and become the next Bo Jackson/Deion Sanders!!
12/23/2014 12:44 PM
Yeah, he was a "nobody".    You can lead a basketball conference in TD passing, still be a nobody and still be recruited by major programs because you're a "best option".    I'm almost certain he transferred because he lost the starting job.    And the coach/AD let him do it without forcing him to sit a year.
12/23/2014 12:56 PM
Maybe not entirely accurate but the coach cut him loose.

Wilson's desire to play both sports ultimately led to his early departure from NC State. Coach Tom O'Brien released the all-Atlantic Coast Conference quarterback two months ago largely because his baseball commitments kept him from taking part in offseason workouts.

"We appreciate all of Russell's contributions to NC State, and we wish him nothing but the best in his future," O'Brien said in a statement.

12/23/2014 12:58 PM
This whole discussion has been re-framed.  The original question was (paraphrasing) "can you win titles while paying Russell Wilson $20+ million/year?"

If he plays like he did last Sunday, absolutely.  If the salary cap rises significantly, probably.  If he improves his pocket passing significantly (he's still young), probably.  If the cap rises only marginally and his growth is stagnant/marginal, I'm not sure.
12/23/2014 2:22 PM
I still think you're ultimately asking if Seattle can win titles while actually paying full price for quality quarterback play.  We can question where exactly he falls in the ranking of QBs, but I think it's clear that he's good enough that 20 million dollars a year for him isn't going to be the kind of overpay that's an absolute anchor on the team.  But it will come at a position where they were previously getting the same player at like a 90% discount.  To sustain the talent level around him at a similar level, they are going to have to find their bargains at other positions.  And let's face it, they've been benefiting from young and cheap all over the roster, so QB isn't the only place that they have some decisions to make about paying the piper.

With where the team stands now, would you actually advocate starting over at QB?

12/23/2014 3:36 PM
Posted by AlCheez on 12/23/2014 9:49:00 AM (view original):
Posted by moranis on 12/23/2014 8:11:00 AM (view original):
Dude, if you're going to abandon the stupid argument you made in the thread, at least have the decency to abandon the thread entirely.
wtf are your talking about.
12/23/2014 4:16 PM
Posted by AlCheez on 12/23/2014 3:36:00 PM (view original):
I still think you're ultimately asking if Seattle can win titles while actually paying full price for quality quarterback play.  We can question where exactly he falls in the ranking of QBs, but I think it's clear that he's good enough that 20 million dollars a year for him isn't going to be the kind of overpay that's an absolute anchor on the team.  But it will come at a position where they were previously getting the same player at like a 90% discount.  To sustain the talent level around him at a similar level, they are going to have to find their bargains at other positions.  And let's face it, they've been benefiting from young and cheap all over the roster, so QB isn't the only place that they have some decisions to make about paying the piper.

With where the team stands now, would you actually advocate starting over at QB?

That's not quite what I was asking.  If you pay $20 million to a quarterback who can consistently take over and win a game (in-their-primes Brady, Manning, etc.), you can obviously afford to weaken yourself at other positions.  This past Sunday's performance notwithstanding (and, in fairness, it came against a gambling defense that has been torched to the tune of 500+ yards on multiple occasions this season - but he played an amazing game), I'm asking if you can afford to weaken yourself elsewhere in order to pay that money to a quarterback who can't (or hasn't shown the ability to) consistently do that.

I don't know that I would advocate it - that's why I'm asking the question.  I know NFL GMs sign him without a thought.  You don't get fired for giving Joe Flacco that contract and watching your team subsequently struggle to make the playoffs - you get fired if you let Flacco go and his replacement costs you the playoffs.

12/23/2014 6:05 PM
Posted by stinenavy on 12/23/2014 5:55:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 12/23/2014 12:56:00 PM (view original):
Yeah, he was a "nobody".    You can lead a basketball conference in TD passing, still be a nobody and still be recruited by major programs because you're a "best option".    I'm almost certain he transferred because he lost the starting job.    And the coach/AD let him do it without forcing him to sit a year.
You're tripling-down on your stupid comments. No one does it better.

Nice contribution, you dumbfuck hick from NC.   

But, of course, that's what happens when first cousins marry.   Say hello to your mom/aunt for me.
12/23/2014 6:19 PM
Looking at the USA Today salary database  (only saw data up to 2009)

SB QBs                               Salary Cap Ranking (seemed a better method than just comparing salary because of signing bonuses, etc)
2004 Brad Johnson                      5
         Rich Gannon                        6

2005 Brady                                5
         Delhomme                        24

2006  Brady                              1
          McNabb                          6

2007  Rothlisberger                  24
          Hasselbeck                       4

2008  P.Manning                       1
      Grossman                            28

2009  Brees                     13
          P. Manning              1

So, can you win with the highest paid QB? Yes.  Can you win w/o someone high on the list? Yes.

12/24/2014 1:48 AM
◂ Prev 1...44|45|46|47|48...51 Next ▸
Seahawks! SUPER BOWL Champs! Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.