CUNY - CCIW - Freedom Challenge - The Beginning Topic

There are generally 4 full conferences in Naismith DIII. 3 of them have, for the most part, decided to take part in an  non-conference challenge. 
  • I have two possible templates for how the challenge would be set up. Both would be pretty simple to do - everyone would just need to schedule games.
  • In both templates, teams are assigned a seed based on their relative RPI in the conference (we do this in Iba DII with CVAC/Heartland Challenge, it works very well - and ranking teams by any other method seems to fall apart)
  • One template has every team participating in "one" challenge game every non-conf. The other template has every team participating in "two" games. 
Template 1
(remember what I said above - teams are ranked by their relative RPI within the conference)
(lets say we do this weeks #5 through #10 - to give teams a chance to begin to improve in non-conf and get settled)

There are a total of 18 Games (3 per day) with every team playing 1 game. I understand CCIW has a ghost ship, we can work around that, or just not play that particular game.  I like this template because every team only has to play one game. The position of the 3 conferences in the template will rotate every season. 

If it seems a little confusing, I generally set the schedules and site-mail everyone, so it shouldn't be a problem. If someone needs to set a game for a different week, that's not usually an issue either. 

Week 5
#12 CCIW at #12 CUNY
#11 CUNY at #12 Freedom
#11 Freedom at #11 CCIW

Week 6
#10 Freedom at #10 CCIW
#9 CCIW at #10 CUNY
#9 CUNY at #9 Freedom

Week 7
#8 CCIW at #8 Freedom
#7 Freedom at #8 CUNY
#7 CUNY at #7 CCIW

Week 8
#6 CCIW at #6 CUNY
#5 CUNY at #6 Freedom
#5 Freedom at #5 CCIW

Week 9
#4 Freedom at #4 CCIW
#3 CCIW at #4 CUNY
#3 CUNY at #3 Freedom

Week 10
#2 CCIW at #2 Freedom
#1 Freedom at #2 CUNY
#1 CUNY at #1 CCIW

Template #2

The benefit to this is that it requires less weeks. The set-up of the schedule is also simpler. However, every team has to play 2 games in the challenge. 

Week 7
#12 CUNY at #12 Freedom
#11 Freedom at #12 CUNY
#10 CUNY at #10 Freedom
#9 Freedom at #9 CUNY
#8 CUNY at #8 Freedom
#7 Freedom at #7 CUNY
#6 CUNY at #6 Freedom
#5 Freedom at #5 CUNY
#4 CUNY at #4 Freedom
#3 Freedom at #3 CUNY
#2 CUNY at #2 Freedom
#1 Freedom at #1 CUNY

Week 8
#12 CCIW at #12 CUNY
#11 CUNY at #11 CCIW
# 10 CCIW at #10 CUNY
# 9 CUNY at #9 CCIW
# 8 CCIW at #8 CUNY
#7 CUNY at #7 CCIW
#6 CCIW at #6 CUNY
#5 CUNY at #5 CCIW
#4 CCIW at #4 CUNY
#3 CUNY at #3 CCIW
#2 CCIW at #2 CUNY
#1 CUNY at #1 CCIW

Week 9
#12 Freedom at #12 CCIW
#11 CCIW at #11 Freedom
#10 Freedom at #10 CCIW
#9 CCIW at #9 Freedom
#8 Freedom at #8 CCIW
#7 CCIW at #7 Freedom
#6 Freedom at #6 CCIW
#5 CCIW at #5 Freedom
#4 Freedom at #4 CCIW
#3 CCIW at #3 Freedom
#2 Freedom at #2 CCIW
#1 CCIW at #1 Freedom

I like template #1 better because 
  • each team is only responsible for 1 game
  • less games to schedule
  • the three biggest games are on week 10
template #2 is only better because it's a "simpler" schedule....however, it's probably going to be a little tough to schedule all those games. 

What do yall think? Please chime in.....Those in the CUNY, CCIW, and Freedom please vote #1 or #2. 

8/8/2012 10:29 AM

The Drew Ranger Nation votes for #1

8/8/2012 2:12 PM
I vote #2. Part of the coolness of the tri-conference challenge is playing both conferences every year. Plus I like the idea of setting weeks 7-9 aside for the challenge every year. I feel like system #1 would lead to more scheduling mishaps (accidentally setting another game during my challenge week).
8/8/2012 6:58 PM
I also vote for #2.  I thought the whole idea of the challenge was to play a team from each conference each year.  It would also be much easier to see which conference "wins" the challenge.
8/8/2012 9:42 PM
Either is good for me... almost 50 seasons now and I've never been a part of a conference battle. I'm kinda geeked about it here... (sorry, not much of a 'vote' I know)
8/8/2012 10:25 PM
the main problem with 2 is that each team would have to play 2 games. I'm not completely convinced that everyone would be in on that....it might be much harder to schedule. I see your point mrg. I'll wait a few days to get more opinions.

8/9/2012 12:05 AM
Keep in mind that several of us have long term rivalries already scheduled on those late weeks. So as long as we can be flexible, I will go for either one.
8/9/2012 2:17 AM
Good either way.
8/9/2012 8:32 AM
Posted by paland on 8/9/2012 2:17:00 AM (view original):
Keep in mind that several of us have long term rivalries already scheduled on those late weeks. So as long as we can be flexible, I will go for either one.
of course - there's no reason why games can't be shifted. Also, option #1 offers more flexibility. 
8/9/2012 5:19 PM
Cciw votes template 2..... i would like to throw in the idea instead of using rpi, our conference decides our own ranks 1 through 12
8/11/2012 7:48 PM (edited)
Posted by halfakracka on 8/11/2012 7:48:00 PM (view original):
Cciw votes template 2..... i would like to throw in the idea instead of using rpi, our conference decides our own ranks 1 through 12
In my experience, the conference deciding their own rankings makes things a lot more complicated. Conference-mates tend to argue these things and decisions don't always get made in time. RPI isn't perfect, but it usually lines up the better teams against one another. 

Thanks for the vote......Looks like more votes are leaning toward #2, ....if it stays that way, I'll set it up that way. 
8/12/2012 12:57 AM
I actually like #2 better as well.  I think we should all play 1 game against each conference, so 2 games.  We will probably have to be flexible with when the games are scheduled, but I think we need to try to schedule them in the same weeks as much as possible.

As someone who plays in the CVAC-Heartland Challenge in D2 Iba, also set up by bbunch, I think this is a great idea.  That Challenge has fostered a good rivalry between our conferences.  Ranking the teams by RPI is definitely the best way to decide who plays who.  The only flaw with that system is that you are scheduling a game for 2 seasons after the RPIs used to set the schedule were generated, so there can be changes in which the strongest teams in each conference are, but that would be the case no matter what scheduling methodolgy we use.
8/14/2012 8:00 PM
#2. Thanks again for setting this up bbunch. I, like Shaf, am pretty geeked about this
8/15/2012 12:48 PM
OK - this should be the schedule. I will send out site-mails once new scheduling can occur.

Note: If the week that your team is supposed to play is UNAVAILABLE due to a matchup that you always have on that day, let me know that you want to schedule the game on a different week, and it will be cool.

Also: there might be some sims if anyone leaves one of these fine conferences. If there's ever a possible sim vs. sim matchup, we will just not count the game. In addition, if there's any issue with an unschedulable ghost shipped team, those games will just not be counted as well (CCIW might have an issue w/ this next season w/ their 12 seed)

Week 1
#4 York (ny) at #4 Drew (per request)

Week 3
#3 Frostburg St. at #3 Hunter

Week 6
#2 Augustana (IL) at #2 John Jay

Week 7
CCIW Off
#12 Polytechnic at #12 Delaware Valley
#11 Lycoming at #11 Bard
#10 Lehman at #10 Lake Erie
#9 Desales at #9 Baruch
#8 City College of NY at #8 Penn St. Behrend
#7 Scranton at #7 New York City Tech
#6 Medgar Evers at #6 Carnigie Mellon
#5 Kings at #5 Brooklyn
#2 John Jay at #2 Fairliegh Dickenson
#1 Wilkes at #1 Staten Island

Week 8 (Freedom off)

#12 Wisc. Lutheran at #12 Polytechnic
#11 Bard at #11 N. Central
#10 Milwaukee Engineering at #10 Lehman
#9 Baruch at #9 Wheaton
#8 Carthage at #8 City College of NY
#7 NY City Tech at #7 Elmhurst
#6 Illinois Wesleyan at #6 Medgar Evers
#5 Brooklyn at #5 Northland
#4 Millikin at #4 York (NY)
#3 Hunter at #3 N. Park
#1 Staten Island at #1 Martin Luther

Week 9 (CUNY off)

#12 Delaware Valley at #12 Wisconsin Lutheran
#11 N. Central at #11 Lycoming
#10 Lake Erie at #10 Milwaukee Engineering
#9 Wheaton at #9 Desales
#8 Penn St. Behrend at #8 Carthage
#7 Elmhurst at #7 Scranton
#6 Carnegie Mellon at #6 Illinois Wesleyan
#5 Northland at #5 Kings
#4 Drew at #4 Millikin
#3 N. Park at #3 Frostburg St.
#2 Fairliegh Dickinson at #2 Augustana
#1 Martin Luther at #1 Wilkes

Best conference record = bragging rights
Worst conference record = sulking rights
2nd place conference record = no rights. Bask in your mediocrity.

We will rank the conferences first by win Pct.
If there is a tie, Point differential will be the 2nd tiebreaker.

Also - does anyone have a catchy name for the challenge (like the Yarnell in Iba)???

8/30/2012 6:05 PM (edited)
For a catchy name, how about the Big Freedom and Little Two?  Just re-reading it brings tears to my eyes. 

Other possibilitites is 'The Beasts of Basketball' ......'Basketball Bravado'.....or my favorite '****-A-Hoop Classic'.   ****-a-Hoop is an old word, first used in 1663,  that means 'triumphantly boasting'
8/16/2012 3:17 PM (edited)
12 Next ▸
CUNY - CCIW - Freedom Challenge - The Beginning Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.