D- Prestige Recruiting D1 Topic

Posted by bistiza on 2/20/2013 8:41:00 AM (view original):
How much does it kill your reputation to do that strategy, chapelhillne?
none. ive cut 7 guys at the biggest rebuild of my career, fl a&m in phlean, over the course of 2 seasons, and im still at an a+. i think i dropped to an A after the 4th or 5th cut in the first season (i cut 5, then 2 more), but it bounced right back, as expected.

you can basically cut unlimited players you didnt recruit, the ONLY downside even worth considering is that another player might quit in protest. but its pretty unlikely, especially with guys you didnt recruit (it seems, not so sure its actually different, maybe its just a very low % in both cases). and if you have a ****** team, that is really a non-factor.

i definitely agree with chapel that his strategy is the generally correct way to start a rebuilder d1 program - d- prestige or b- BCS, its still the same. the only disagreement is i would *never* sign 6 on 6 openings unless i was blown away by all 6, which i really doubt would be the case. low end schools, walkons let you reach higher, sign better players, and its just not that critical to fill up. *maybe* if you are pressing. but if you are running man, and especially zone, you are better off to take 1-2 walkons and have 15-30k extra to play with. i like to scout like, half the country with these low end teams, searching for diamonds in the rough, etc... the reality is you aren't winning battles, even locally, for big time players. and there just arent enough quality small time players locally to stay local. so if you reach far, you REALLY need some extra money, because a lot of small time coaches who dont know what they are doing will get into battles with you and stuff, not real ones but little petty ones where you might just need to dump 10K more into a guy or something. but that adds up, and so does scouting half the country (both FSS and evals). so i think that 15-30k goes REALLY far, and when you do get to the C or B range and can start fighting for quality local recruits, you have more money for that, too.

2/20/2013 11:16 AM
Believe it or not, I still have an A+ Reputation. If you do it with players you have recruited I know it takes a big hit. Might also take a hit if you waited until the second year. I was kind of surprised when I just looked.
2/20/2013 7:55 PM
Posted by gillispie on 2/20/2013 11:16:00 AM (view original):
none. ive cut 7 guys at the biggest rebuild of my career, fl a&m in phlean, over the course of 2 seasons, and im still at an a+. i think i dropped to an A after the 4th or 5th cut in the first season (i cut 5, then 2 more), but it bounced right back, as expected.

you can basically cut unlimited players you didnt recruit, the ONLY downside even worth considering is that another player might quit in protest. but its pretty unlikely, especially with guys you didnt recruit (it seems, not so sure its actually different, maybe its just a very low % in both cases). and if you have a ****** team, that is really a non-factor.

i definitely agree with chapel that his strategy is the generally correct way to start a rebuilder d1 program - d- prestige or b- BCS, its still the same. the only disagreement is i would *never* sign 6 on 6 openings unless i was blown away by all 6, which i really doubt would be the case. low end schools, walkons let you reach higher, sign better players, and its just not that critical to fill up. *maybe* if you are pressing. but if you are running man, and especially zone, you are better off to take 1-2 walkons and have 15-30k extra to play with. i like to scout like, half the country with these low end teams, searching for diamonds in the rough, etc... the reality is you aren't winning battles, even locally, for big time players. and there just arent enough quality small time players locally to stay local. so if you reach far, you REALLY need some extra money, because a lot of small time coaches who dont know what they are doing will get into battles with you and stuff, not real ones but little petty ones where you might just need to dump 10K more into a guy or something. but that adds up, and so does scouting half the country (both FSS and evals). so i think that 15-30k goes REALLY far, and when you do get to the C or B range and can start fighting for quality local recruits, you have more money for that, too.

Interesting thought there. I have 4 openings in this second season coming up, so I may just go after a couple of players. At D- though, it's hard to find true impact players that can change the program, so my thought was to recruit a lot of players in these 2 years, play the best ones, and by the time the class of six seniors graduates, hopefully my prestige will be at a level where I can get some top players. I read your thread about recruiting with a zone, and I really like that concept. That's what I am going to try at Fordham.
2/20/2013 8:00 PM
◂ Prev 12
D- Prestige Recruiting D1 Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.