2015 Orioles Thread - DEAD & BURIED Topic

I'll say this for the Orioles offseason - we are gearing up to really dominate in AAA.
1/16/2014 1:47 AM
with an owner like angelos who cares very little about winning we will soon be back in the basement. I have been a fan since 1966 and have never been this upset about an off season. I would love to punch Duquette in that stupid grin of his.
1/17/2014 3:56 PM
Yes, an owner who doesn't care about winning, even though winning increases profits. If you want to accuse him of not wanting to spend money, fine, but you're a fool if you think he doesn't want to win.

The O's will end up with a payroll around $90-100M at this rate. There are teams who regularly win with less. Ask Philly, Anaheim, Toronto and NY how spending sh*tloads of money worked out for them last season.
1/20/2014 12:22 AM
Baltimore had 1 1/2 good years with the way they do things. You are the fool if you think winning is the priority in Balt. like it is in NY LA or Bost. The Yankees I hate the way they do things but they have a contending team almost all the time. Sticking up for an owner and puppet in Duquette does not make you a better fan than me. They have a window and it will close before they do anything to help the core players. Just about every expert on MLB net. and ESPN are calling this off season a big mess.Telling the truth about a front office that winning is not the top priority is far from being a fool.
2/1/2014 9:09 PM
You didn't say "winning isn't their main priority". You said Angelos doesn't care about winning, and that's BS. He's clearly put a price on how much he thinks winning is worth, and you and I may not agree with it, but it's not our money. And it certainly doesn't mean he doesn't care about winning.

If two guys have the same amount of money and one buys a Porsche while the other buys a Buick, does the second guy not care about his car? Or has he just decided that $XX is the most a car is worth to him? A lot owners have way more money than they spend on their teams.
2/10/2014 11:07 PM
O's sign Ubaldo. Hopefully now everyone will shut the hell up about Angelos being cheap and not wanting to win. I'd have preferred Santana myself, but I think they're close enough. Hopefully Wieters and the defense helps him get even better.
2/17/2014 11:19 PM
Honestly, I didn't think either Jiminez or Santana was worth giving up a first-round pick for.  The deal is reasonably team-friendly, even for an inconsistent pitcher.  In this market, $12 million a year is #2 or #3 starter money.  But the draft pick is costly.  We have to seriously entertain the possibility of signing Morales or Ervin Santana at this point since the next draft pick we'd surrender is much less valuable.  We could really use Morales at DH, and with all the inconsistent and back-end type arms on this staff, another inconsistent but high-upside pitcher certainly wouldn't go amiss.  A few of the experts are even saying we might look at Stephen Drew for 2B.  If he gets desperate and signs a 1 or 2-year deal I can see it, but nothing longer-term than that.  Definitely rather spend less money to keep Hardy around.
2/18/2014 6:22 PM
I read somewhere the other day that it could take 5 years/$75M to keep Hardy, which sounds ridiculous to me, but if that's the case, maybe they get Drew for 2B, then move him to SS next season and let Hardy go. If they only reason they sign Drew is to have him play 2B, I think that's pointless. Flaherty is a good defender and could hit 20-25 HRs with a full season of work.

The O's have a lot of good young talent and are making some decent IFA signings - I don't think the loss of draft pick will hurt too much.
2/19/2014 12:06 PM
Welcome Mr. Cruz. No one lining up to apologize to Angelos or the F.O....I'm shocked.
2/22/2014 11:19 PM
Roid city
2/23/2014 6:12 AM
33 year old roider that can't stay healthy.  Congrats.
2/23/2014 10:19 AM
Evidently you didn't see the O's DH numbers last year. I'll gladly take Cruz.
2/23/2014 12:57 PM
Morales would have been a MUCH better fit.  Power we have.  Kendrys can get on base, a skill this offense sorely lacks.  But at 1 year, $8 million, it's hard to criticize Duquette for taking Cruz.  That's a great deal.  Of course, the big difference is that if you get Morales on a 1- or 2-year deal you might be able to make him a qualifying offer and get a pick back for the guy.  I don't think Cruz will get an offer next year, because he'd probably take it this time.
2/24/2014 12:56 AM
If he has a good enough year to warrant a QO, he'll probably be worth the $15M. We shall see.

Either way, team is definitely better off with Cruz at DH than Reimold/Urrutia/Young
2/24/2014 6:37 PM
You have to think so...  On the offchance Reimold stays healthy or Young and Cruz are both hitting, or if Cruz is hitting and Urrutia is tearing it up at AAA, we can always trade Cruz at the trade deadline and pickup a bullpen arm or a fringy prospect.  Something that isn't nothing, and likely better than the expectation value for what you get out of a 2nd-round pick.
2/24/2014 6:42 PM
◂ Prev 1...43|44|45|46|47...75 Next ▸
2015 Orioles Thread - DEAD & BURIED Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.