2015 Orioles Thread - DEAD & BURIED Topic

Posted by MikeT23 on 11/13/2012 2:27:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 11/13/2012 8:18:00 AM (view original):
If he's hitting .182 in May, don't be shocked if he's sent to AAA.   Especially if they have another option and think they're contenders.    And that's not out of the question as teams now have a couple hundred AB to analyze and find the hole in his swing.
It's almost like you don't know that people can go back a page or two and see what was said.

What part of this do you disagree with?
I'll re-quote this and ask you to answer.

What part of this do you find disagreeable?
11/13/2012 2:51 PM
The "if they're contenders" part, for starters. They were contenders last year and even when he started getting overmatched at the plate, he was a fixture in the lineup. I think his glove and IQ will buy him the time to work out his hitting at the ML level. They won't sacrifice D for offense at 3B. Only a Beltre or Headley type might supplant him, and the Os aren't spending for that type of player.
11/13/2012 3:43 PM
I hate to agree with MikeT, but you're starting to sound silly...

If he's hitting under .200 for the first 4 or 5 weeks of the season they'll send him down for Betemit or Flaherty.  Or maybe Chris Davis.  But they're not going to let him not hit all season, if he's not getting it done they'll send him down for a couple months.

11/13/2012 4:08 PM
Posted by Jtpsops on 11/13/2012 3:43:00 PM (view original):
The "if they're contenders" part, for starters. They were contenders last year and even when he started getting overmatched at the plate, he was a fixture in the lineup. I think his glove and IQ will buy him the time to work out his hitting at the ML level. They won't sacrifice D for offense at 3B. Only a Beltre or Headley type might supplant him, and the Os aren't spending for that type of player.
Machado was .289/.319/.456 in September....so....when was he overmatched again?
11/13/2012 4:13 PM
In those other AB.   You know, the ones where he didn't hit like a BL player.
11/13/2012 4:26 PM
I think Buck should have won, but Melvin certainly deserving.
11/13/2012 6:54 PM
Posted by dahsdebater on 11/13/2012 4:08:00 PM (view original):
I hate to agree with MikeT, but you're starting to sound silly...

If he's hitting under .200 for the first 4 or 5 weeks of the season they'll send him down for Betemit or Flaherty.  Or maybe Chris Davis.  But they're not going to let him not hit all season, if he's not getting it done they'll send him down for a couple months.

You don't hate to agree with Mike. 95% of what comes out of your mouth regarding the Os is negative. I'm convinced Randy Quaids character in Major League 2 is based on you. The fact it was shot at Camden Yards only seals the deal.

What's the difference between Betemit hitting .260 and making 30 errors, and Manny hitting .200 and playing GG defense? I'd rather have option 2
11/13/2012 6:56 PM
That's totally untrue, but totally expected from a person so utterly incapable of objectivity as yourself...
11/13/2012 7:52 PM
Doesn't have to be Betemit there. But even if it is, it's because you don't want to hurt Machado's confidence. Maybe he's better off in AAA for a year if he starts to struggle. Think long-term. Also, he's barely played 3B. Hard to just assume he's GG quality. I know he looked good, but don't jump to conclusions.

The point is "there's no way he smells AAA" is inaccurate. sticking to that argument is making you look silly.
11/13/2012 7:57 PM (edited)
It's what I believe. I don't see any scenario in which they send him down next year, after throwing him into the pennant race the way they did as a rookie.

And dahs - give it up. You are EXACTLY like Randy Quaid's character in that movie. "We made it!!"..."Big deal! They'll blow it in the playoffs."
11/13/2012 8:11 PM
You were given the scenario. If Buck is truly "manager of the year quality" he wouldn't insist on a struggling 20 year old playing every day at the ML level.
11/13/2012 8:23 PM
Posted by burnsy483 on 11/13/2012 8:23:00 PM (view original):
You were given the scenario. If Buck is truly "manager of the year quality" he wouldn't insist on a struggling 20 year old playing every day at the ML level.
And I responded. Buck and Duquette place a premium on defense. That's the primary reason Machado was brought up this past season. If he's playing GG defense and hitting .180 in May, I see Buck giving him a couple days off to clear his head and putting him right back in there.

Machado's glove is far more valuable than Reynolds, but Buck refused to take Reynolds out when he was doing brutal at the plate mid-season. They've committed to Machado and he will be there guy next season.
11/13/2012 8:26 PM
I like him, so I hope he hits. And fields for that matter; I'm not sure why you're sure he's a gold glover based on 50 career games at 3B.

That said, I kinda hope he struggles just so see what happens.
11/13/2012 8:34 PM
Also, Reynolds has a track record (it's an odd one, but it's something) and isn't 20.
11/13/2012 8:35 PM
I'm going on this year's stats (his RF and F% were above league average in 2 months of work), and scouting - everyone who talks about him says he's the real deal on defense, and that his bat will come around. Obviously time will tell on the bat, but usually a player's defense doesn't regress/change until he gets old. 50 games isn't a huge sample size, but some of the plays he made, it's easy to believe he's going to be that guy defensively going forward.
11/13/2012 8:37 PM
◂ Prev 1...31|32|33|34|35...75 Next ▸
2015 Orioles Thread - DEAD & BURIED Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.