2015 Orioles Thread - DEAD & BURIED Topic

No, I think it's insane because it is.   There's far too much money involved in a "clean" game to risk it by sullying it up by "fixing" games in the manner you describe.   1920s?  Sure.   2012?  Batshit insane.

Sporting events are fun because we don't know the outcome.   

9/24/2012 8:29 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
There's a big difference between fixing games and allowing a few calls to lean in favor of the most popular teams here and there.  And if it were really that insane, would Italian soccer have managed full-scale match fixing?  AC Milan, Inter, Juventus, Roma are worth just as much and make just as much money as any MLB team except maybe NYY and LAD.  Whether it comes from gambling or ad revenue, there is always money to be made from manipulating the sports world.
9/24/2012 9:05 PM
I'm not a Yankees fan, and I think it's nuts.  And I'm not an expert on Italian soccer, but I'm assuming that was about players taking money to fix games for gamblers, not about the league itself trying to manipulate outcomes.  There's a big difference - players have less to lose and more to gain for the risk.  People stupidly made the comparison to the WWE with PEDs, saying "it wasn't real", as if having guys bloated on 'roids somehow made the games staged.  What you're talking about would make the comparison perfectly valid if it was ever found out.
9/24/2012 9:28 PM
What's the difference between fixing games and "allowing" calls to lean in the favor of one team?

I read some stuff on soccer fixing awhile back.   They were actually posting results of games never played in addition to players taking money.    As AC says, there was nothing about league officials "working" the results. 
9/24/2012 9:35 PM
I do have to chuckle at the notion of a fan of a team that has won virtually every close game all year feeling like they are the victim of a conspiracy to hold them down.
9/24/2012 9:42 PM
Damn, I didn't even think about that.   They're 57-1 in one run games and the league has ordered the umps to screw them.
9/24/2012 9:55 PM
Umps don't matter. The O's have proven in this second game why they're not as good as the Yankees. Chen lays another egg, they load the bases with no outs in THREE innings and get a total of 3 runs out of it, and Arrieta continues his Jekyll and Hyde routine. Coming in with the bases loaded in the 6th and striking out the side, loading the bases himself in the 7th, getting two big outs, then serving up a grand slam to JP on a silver platter.

At this point, I have NO CLUE who I'd want on the mound for the O's in a WC game. I'd have to go with Tillman. Hopefully the O's are saving Hammel and getting him to 100% in case they need him for that one game playoff. At this rate, I'd take Bundy over Chen, Arrieta or Wolf.

9/24/2012 10:09 PM
Romero hasn't won since June 22. He allowed 12 effing baserunners in 5+ tonight and they let him off the hook. Disgraceful.
9/24/2012 10:12 PM
Yeah, they wasted a ton of opportunities in that game.  There was also the wild pitch on strike 3 with CD not running with the fastest guy on the team coming around 3rd...  Arencibia would have had to eat that ball and let him take first if he'd taken off right away and given Jones the appropriate opportunity to make the turn and threaten to come home.  A few other things like that, Machado made a few rookie mistakes in this game.
9/25/2012 1:42 PM
Looks like the Os have decided they want the WC. This is pathetic.
9/25/2012 8:57 PM
O's should be sending the Twinkies a nice big gift after tonight.
9/25/2012 11:10 PM
That's what the O's needed today. A close win would not have been good enough. If they erupt like that in the playoffs, look out.

Hammel is working his way back to health. I'm sincerely hoping the O's rest him and save him for that WC game. His first start off the DL last time he dominated the Yankees for 5 IP...I'll take that in a one-and-done game any day of the week.

They need to sweep the Red Sox this weekend to ensure that series with Tampa is irrelevant in terms of them making the postseason. Hopefully the Jays put up a bit of a fight for the Yanks and the Sux can be in a position to knock the Yanks out of the division lead in that final series.
9/26/2012 10:41 PM
Now we don't have to listen to anymore crap about a negative run differential.
9/28/2012 11:42 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
◂ Prev 1...16|17|18|19|20...75 Next ▸
2015 Orioles Thread - DEAD & BURIED Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.