The absolutely biggest thing that bugs me about HD Topic

I would love to be able to CHOOSE the skills/attributes that my assistant coach reports on when I scout player.  If that is too complicated from a programming aspect, make the scouting playing option give ALL the potentials about the player. 

It makes little sense to me that we only learn 4 potentials... when we spend as much as it cost to recruit entire states in many cases.

I know we also get the offense/defense/ and what type of person they are (which I realize may help determining if they will take redshirt).... or if they happen to have 15 girlfriends.

If that can't be changed, for the sake of all that's holy please, please make it such that if you scout multiple times that it doesn't spit back the SAME potentials -- until you have exhausted all of them.... i.e. don't start repeating until the 3 or 4 scouting.

12/2/2011 10:46 PM
I always love it when I do 6 evals and never find out if a big can rebound or a guard shoot...
12/8/2011 1:11 PM
A scouting report for an individual should show the same information as the recruiting service.  In real life it actually show more to a coach.  If you have muliple players in a state it is more cost affective to recruit the state.  If you just wnat to scout one player it should be more cost affective.  That is the way it should work.
12/10/2011 4:48 PM
A simple upgrade: Now with the color coding for players potential, if you scout the state with the service all the players in the state now have the color coding.  If you scout the player the color coding shows up for that player, including transfers and foreign.  In real life if a coach scouts a player in person you know they are going to get a better and more complete scouting report than buying that information from a service.  If I sent a coach to scout a player and they came back with the limited imformation these guys come back with, they would be working at Burger King, not coaching.
12/18/2011 11:11 AM
It bugs me to no end that you go on multiple evaluations, and your scout NEVER tells you what Offense and/or Defense your recruit was playing in!!
1/12/2012 12:35 PM
+1
1/18/2012 6:44 PM
+1
But I don't think it should be to the extent mentioned above. In reality, on a single scouting trip, a coach will go with 1-2 primary focus points, and the rest he just picks up from what he sees. But in no way should a coach attend 1 game and know every single detail about a player. Additionally, scouting trips are used by coaches who have already purchased FSS for the player's state and want to know whether specific potentials are low-high or high-high. Sending  1, 2 or even 3 scouting trips with just 1-2 focus points and 2-3 random observations should be plenty for any division level (obviously not including pull-downs), with or without FSS for that state.
The above proposed method would upset many veteran coaches, some of whom don't even want the scouting trip format to change.

1/19/2012 2:48 PM (edited)
The cost of a scouting trip in many cases is more than the cost of scouting the state and you get far less information.  And in real life if an Ast. coach came back with information on two or three focuses he would be fired.  They do a complete evaluation of the player including ALL skills.  Coming back with info on two or three focuses  would NEVER happen in real life. Could you imagine a coach that plays Fast Break scouting a player and coming back with no information on how fast he is, what kind of a passer and ball handler he is, how well he shoots from the outside, how well he drives, and what kind of stamina he has?  And do you think he would only focus on that and ignore his defense and rebounding???

I would also suggest that in real life it is impossible to tell exactly how much a player is likely to improve on just one scouting visit like it happens in WIS.  That takes several visits and usually several calls to the HS coach.  The relationship between the universities and the HS coaches may actually be one of the most important aspects of determining the potential of a recruit.  Although any more the AAU coach might even be more important.

Plus, why would the above change upset veteran D1 coaches here?  You said most use the evals after scouting a state to determine what level of High or Average the potential is.  That would not change.  No one is suggesting that you do an eval and you know everything.  The above suggests that an eval would just show the color coded potential for a recruit.  It would still show the level of High and Average for a few selected skills like it does now.  And at the D1 level with the recruiting money available I doubt it would change anything.  Coaches would still buy the recruiting service like they do now and use the eval for more detail.

I would like to see an eval that shows the color coded potential and two select skills to get detailed potential.  You do another eval you select another two, etc.  It makes no sense to spend the money on multiple evals and never find out the potentials that are most important to you.   For D1 it may work because you can afford to scout a player 10 times but it can be costly and in some cases useless in D3.
1/22/2012 12:16 AM (edited)
I wish you could view the individual category ratings on the summary area of the recruit page.
2/3/2012 10:00 PM
One again recruiting season and I find myself annoyed by doing evals with only frustrating results.  This is my big pet peave with this game.  Otherwise, I am pretty darn content.  This is especially annoying on international recruits, making me often avoid them.

3/13/2012 2:12 PM
+1... recuiting time again in Rupp
4/2/2012 1:47 PM
+1
5/22/2012 3:19 PM
Agree with this completely!
6/11/2012 10:30 AM
Posted by colonels19 on 2/3/2012 10:00:00 PM (view original):
I wish you could view the individual category ratings on the summary area of the recruit page.
That would be nice
6/19/2012 10:57 PM
"I would love to be able to CHOOSE the skills/attributes that my assistant coach reports on when I scout player."

"If that can't be changed, for the sake of all that's holy please, please make it such that if you scout multiple times that it doesn't spit back the SAME potentials -- until you have exhausted all of them.... i.e. don't start repeating until the 3 or 4 scouting."

+1

Again.  Just finished Wooden recruiting and now Rupp recruiting is back around and I'm getting a ton of this.
7/13/2012 11:10 AM
12 Next ▸
The absolutely biggest thing that bugs me about HD Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.