Lakers 2011-2012 Topic

new coach, new system, new focus on defense (Kobe seems to be onboard now which is a good thing)

Can Pau come back strong after that atrocity of a post season?

Does Metta World Peace have anything left?  (would we better served with him off the bench? can he still play the 3?)

Can Bynum stay healthy?

Has Lamar finally found the secret to consistency?

Do Blake and Barnes bounce back?

Goodbye Shannon Brown?

Could someone please replace our current starting PG?

Devin Ebanks is our new Ariza? T/F?

It's not worth using the amnesty on Luke's contract when you can save it for anytime in the next few years - t/f?

Derrick Caracter = much needed depth at the 4/5 or bad habits and poor impulse control

can we expect anything from our rookies (Darius Morris in particular)?

11/30/2011 9:11 AM (edited)
Doesn't specicifally address any of the above, but if they trade Bynum for Howard, I think they're nuts.  Bynum is younger, bigger, cheaper, and better offensively.  I wouldn't trade him straight-up, and talks of including Odom (or Gasol, which is just insanity) scare me.  Unless Orlando's talking Howard and Nelson, the Lakers shouldn't be at all interested.  
12/1/2011 3:06 PM
LOL at Bynum over Howard.
12/1/2011 5:56 PM
Posted by all3 on 12/1/2011 3:06:00 PM (view original):
Doesn't specicifally address any of the above, but if they trade Bynum for Howard, I think they're nuts.  Bynum is younger, bigger, cheaper, and better offensively.  I wouldn't trade him straight-up, and talks of including Odom (or Gasol, which is just insanity) scare me.  Unless Orlando's talking Howard and Nelson, the Lakers shouldn't be at all interested.  
You should probably refrain from sharing your basketball opinion ever if you believe this to be in the neighborhood of the truth.

Dwight Howard is one of the best defensive players of all time and is the 2nd best player in the NBA closely behind LeBron.  Forgetting for a moment that he's always healthy and Bynum never is, he still soulcrushes him in every way imaginable.  You're ******* retarded if you think they have nearly comparable values, they don't.

What would be really baller of LA is something like, trade

Bynum, prospect from team X to Orl
Gasol to Team X
Howard, J-Rich (S&T) to LA

not that swapping Gasol for J-Rich is favorable, but it frees Odom, gives you a sick sick shooter to play the 3, and locks down Dwight Howard before shenanigans allow him to team up with CP3 in Boston 4 life.

12/1/2011 6:03 PM
Lakers are expressing interest in Grant Hill, probably also Shane Battier
12/2/2011 12:31 PM
A few years ago, I remember being scoffed at for saying the Lakers shouldn't trade Bynum for Kidd, but I think the 2 Titles since then (plus the one the Lakers didn't get when Bynum didn't play) prove I was right then, and I'd expect to be able to say the same thing in another few seasons, if they don't trade him for Howard now.  I'm not implying Bynum is a better all-around player than Howard, but offensively he is, plus the extra cap room he provides could be extremely vital in signing a PG or SF.  Anyone saying they should include Odom (one of the most versitile players in the League) is crazy, and anyone mentioning Bynum and Gasol should be banished to watching reruns of last season's Minnesota vs. Cleveland match-ups over and over.
12/2/2011 6:12 PM
I also thought you were way off after the first post, all3, but I get where you are coming from now.   If Bynum is healthy and if he is working with guards that feed him the ball (ahem Mr. Bryant) he is a great player on both sides of the ball.  If the Lakers (or any team) think Howard is taking a team to the Finals on his back that is false.  He needs 1 great scorer or many good scorers around him.  He'd be great on the Warriors!

12/2/2011 7:56 PM
short term the Lakers would be better off getting a PG - I think that would make a bigger difference than aquiring Howard - inside is already a strength for them and I dont think subtracting Bynum and Gasol or Odom and adding Howard makes them that much better, in fact it's probably a push short term with a little bit of advantage long term
12/2/2011 8:08 PM
I think Howard's total package far outweighs Bynum's.  Howard has come a long way offensively; he made huge strides in the post last year.  But no, he's not going to carry a team by himself offensively.  I'm not convinced Bynum could either.  However, with Kobe on the team, it doesn't matter who is at C, they're not going to get the shots of a #1 scorer anyway (which is, imo, a terrible atrocity).

At this point, I agree with the felon:  Get a PG upgrade.  Save the money you'd spend on Howard by upgrading multiple other positions.  Kobe ain't gonna be around too much longer.
12/2/2011 8:20 PM
Which brings us to Deron Williams??  Some Odom / Gasol trade would set up the Lakers to have a nice pg-c combo and 1-3 years of Kobe left to get it done.  NJ then sends Odom, Farmar and Lopez to NO for CP3....too bad they gave up Collison already.
12/3/2011 1:20 PM
what else do you see them getting back from New Jersey if they give up both Odom and Gasol
12/3/2011 2:09 PM
I'm not sure they should give up both, but they may have to.  Maybe they get Deron + Lopez and NJ sends Favors plus Odom down to NO?
12/3/2011 3:31 PM
Did Mike Kryzewaskiaiii ever coach the lakers?
12/4/2011 11:30 AM
good lord no, maybe he'll coach the heat - Lebron always said he would have played at Duke...
12/4/2011 7:45 PM
The Lakers are finalizing the trade with the New Orleans Hornets and Houston Rockets. Under terms of the proposed deal, the Lakers would send Gasol to the Rockets. The Hornets would receive Odom, Rockets guards Kevin Martin and Goran Dragic and forward Luis Scola, league sources said.

Plus Battier is gone, so the Rockets are really wiping the slate clean.  Giving up way too much I think - Dragic and Scola are solid plus they are thinking of a draft pick?!  I don't get it.
12/8/2011 7:54 PM
1|2|3...32 Next ▸
Lakers 2011-2012 Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.