Just sent this to CS Topic

Posted by jslotman on 8/9/2011 12:41:00 PM (view original):
Latest response from CS: 

I understand your argument, but conference is always going to be a factor in prestige. I think that's not really the cause of what you're pointing out. It's more about baseline prestige than conference.

My argument back to him is that it's OK for conference prestige to play a factor, but that it should play less of a factor than it currently does.

With FSU and Wake in Allen as exhibits A and B for your argument ... particularly looking at those two vs. a team like LSU.
8/9/2011 2:09 PM
The coach of A prestige Florida just bailed in Allen to head to the albatross that is Colorado.  That's how impossibly strong the ACC has become in that world. 
8/10/2011 9:19 AM
...at the same time, he did have friends in the Big 12 and a family connection to the Buffs.  But yeah, that.
8/10/2011 10:35 AM
And let's not go crazy on 'albatross.'  This is a school that has an A- prestige and has been to the 2nd round of the NT 5 straight seasons.  There are also 4 in-state 4-star or better recruits.

It isn't like he left to go to Fresno State or Hawaii.
8/10/2011 10:59 AM
Those are true facts about Colorado, but the power of the ACC played a large part in his decision.  He had an A prestige and basically felt he could only sign the leftovers from the ACC yearly unless they had different needs.  Florida is a tough spot to recruit from at this time and he did about as well as he could. 

Colorado's baseline is much lower than Florida absent the ACC's power Florida would almost always have more appeal.

8/10/2011 11:24 AM
On the bright side for the non-ACC coaches, though, the Big East is getting better every year.
8/10/2011 11:32 AM
Unfortunately, I think the Big 10 is getting worse.  We can't find someone to fill Notre Dame to save our lives. 
8/10/2011 11:34 AM

I didn't know there was a new DI Allen forum, this is great! js, where's swampy?

8/10/2011 11:58 AM
I think swampy is still going 2-25 somewhere in DII whilst recruiting low-DIII level guys to play 2/3 zone -5. 
8/10/2011 12:29 PM
"I recruit guys specifically for the -5" is one of my all-time favorite arguments.
8/10/2011 12:36 PM
He'd basically try to recruit a bunch of guys with decent rebounding and completely disregard every other attribute.  Needless to say, it didn't work. 
8/10/2011 12:52 PM
if you are struggling to recruit good players due to competition, you could just collude with your neighbors. it seems to work well for guys like jeff_probst, so who knows, could work for you too!
8/10/2011 5:20 PM
Posted by acn24 on 8/10/2011 10:59:00 AM (view original):
And let's not go crazy on 'albatross.'  This is a school that has an A- prestige and has been to the 2nd round of the NT 5 straight seasons.  There are also 4 in-state 4-star or better recruits.

It isn't like he left to go to Fresno State or Hawaii.
This did help in the decision.  Hopefully it won't be too foolish, and maybe I'll change my mind some day.  Maybe I'll try to win a conference title in all 6 power conferences some day. 
8/10/2011 5:28 PM
Posted by jbasnight on 8/10/2011 12:36:00 PM (view original):
"I recruit guys specifically for the -5" is one of my all-time favorite arguments.
Hilarious. Just hilarious.
8/10/2011 10:40 PM
Or just get 2-3 teams Gil in the same division of the same world because 1 just isn't enough to work it like you're supposed to.  When is enough enough? Is 5 teams ok? 7? If 2 is fine, then when does the amount of teams in the same division start to become a problem for people? Just let me know what number is okay because I'll start adding teams just to recruit against other owners and make them spend as much money as possible.  That Louisville job looks pretty good, I could make you break the bank almost every year-huh? Funny thing is Gil, you like to make assumptions and accusations, but there's proof of what you do every year.  I think most people would have a problem with coach K coaching both Duke and Arkansas every season no matter the distance. I know this is all just stemming from your embarrassing loss to me in the title game a couple seasons ago.  It must hurt so much to know that it doesn't matter if you ever beat me again...you lost BAD at your best chance to beat your most hated coach in the biggest game that WIS offers.  Just suck it up and go on a bender and get 3-4 more teams in the same division because at some point the numbers have to start to work in your favor-right? Oh yeah I almost forgot, who are you going for in recruiting this season?  I don't want to cross the line so don't tell me their ratings, just give me their names, their potential, their GPA, FT %, and the amount of money you plan on spending for each player.  BTW-you've been doing a better job keeping your accounts separate the last few seasons, so keep it up....it's nice to have someone on the inside;)
8/11/2011 8:02 AM
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4|5|6...19 Next ▸
Just sent this to CS Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.