Olivares is part of my rotation and a key part to my future.  The other three were traded. 
5/27/2011 8:31 AM
What the hell does that have to do with what I posted?
5/27/2011 9:58 AM
I went from 80m in payroll to 38m with a transfer.   That's about 42m.   That translates to 21m.    I remained competitive(13th pick the next season).   I signed some decent IFA.  My team became successful pretty quickly. 

It's pretty simple.  I took over a team with low payroll and little BL talent.  I left myself the option to chase FA but, upon seeing what was available, I plucked comparable guys off  the WW.   With all the excess payroll, I chased IFA.  I didn't wreck the world or the team.
5/27/2011 1:51 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 5/27/2011 1:51:00 PM (view original):
I went from 80m in payroll to 38m with a transfer.   That's about 42m.   That translates to 21m.    I remained competitive(13th pick the next season).   I signed some decent IFA.  My team became successful pretty quickly. 

It's pretty simple.  I took over a team with low payroll and little BL talent.  I left myself the option to chase FA but, upon seeing what was available, I plucked comparable guys off  the WW.   With all the excess payroll, I chased IFA.  I didn't wreck the world or the team.
I came in and wrecked the world instead .....
5/27/2011 2:54 PM
I don't know.  You took a team that wasn't competing and kept it that way.   We call that "status quo" here in Boise.
5/27/2011 2:58 PM

Cause or effect?

Because really, all things being equal, you reduced your 185M to 164M, thus putting yourself at a 21M disadvantage to the rest of the league.

Now, in reality, I'm pointing at those who do it year after year, beginning of the season (instead of mid season "rats, can't use this payroll, might as well transfer").

Evidence would suggest that if you put yourself at that much of a disadvantage under the rest of the league year after year, you are not going to win.

There will be someone jumping in saying "dude X did", but everyone that does that habitually does not win one championship out of 24 seasons, which is obviously the statistical norm.

I can back that up if names have to be named.

5/27/2011 3:10 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 5/27/2011 2:58:00 PM (view original):
I don't know.  You took a team that wasn't competing and kept it that way.   We call that "status quo" here in Boise.
Hey! I'm in the 3 way tie for the last WC. That's a certain Canadian's high water mark around here.
5/27/2011 3:18 PM
This was my statement when you said it might be the new league killer:   "It isn't if the owner isn't a moron."

I did it and didn't hurt my team or the world.  I do agree if someone does it season after season, he's ******* away 3-5 seasons of HBD.  But that goes back to the original post in this thread.  The tanker doesn't mind losing for 6 seasons.  He's building his super team.

5/27/2011 3:19 PM

"I agree with death" was sufficient. And always correct.

5/27/2011 3:31 PM

So assuming you arb him in S4 for about 1.5m and S5 for about 4m, then sign him for 5y/25m.....that would mean that you effectively signed a "Free Agent" for 10y/72.5m, 42m in the first season.  Not a bad use of payroll.
5/27/2011 3:46 PM
I spent 16.7 for one IFA. 

Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Ariel Olivares  Figure it out however you want.   I'll look at this while you do it.

5/27/2011 4:04 PM
Bump for my n00b disciple who suggested " cleaning house "
7/25/2011 2:45 PM
By "disciple", you mean "frustrated internet nerd looking for a girl"
7/25/2011 3:01 PM
I think I'm going to start calling him Darth n00b. If he likes the nickname then we will know you were correct.
7/25/2011 3:04 PM
"hey, you're pretty cool. Can I have your address? Maybe we can do some play by mail D&D"
7/25/2011 4:02 PM
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4|5...7 Next ▸

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.