Posted by micki on 4/30/2011 6:31:00 AM (view original):
Interesting...the word "P*nis" is considered a bleeped word!

So what are we to call that thing between your alls legs then???
Oh, and: dong.  Dong is what we are to call it.
4/30/2011 1:00 PM
Well if Bonds should be disqualified from entrance into the HOF for "cheating", then what about all the pitchers in the HOF who used grease, spit, dirt, sand paper, and whatever else they could think of to give them an advantage over a hitter?  Did it prevent them from getting into the HOF when what they did was nothing short of cheating?
5/4/2011 12:54 PM
Free Joe Niekro!
5/4/2011 2:10 PM
Bonds makes me sick...the fact that he's at the top of the career home run leaderboard is ridiculous.  Bring back the asterisk.
5/4/2011 2:57 PM
mixtroy makes a good point (although I do have mixed feelings).

Part of the turmoil over Bonds is simply because we know (well, we're pretty darn sure) that he cheated.

But in the code of baseball, no one admits to the ump that he trapped the ball, or missed the tag, or scuffed the ball, or corked the bat. In short, the tradition of baseball allows for cheating if you can get away with it.

How many cheaters in 125 years have gotten away with systematic cheating? We don't know. I would not be surprised to learn that a number of them are in the Hall of Fame.

5/4/2011 11:52 PM
We even romanticize the player who succeeds by making a deal with the devil (Damn Yankees) or discovers a special substance that makes his pitches dance away from wood (It Happens Every Spring).

But we don't generally romanticize using drugs...
5/4/2011 11:56 PM
Posted by doubletruck on 5/4/2011 11:52:00 PM (view original):
mixtroy makes a good point (although I do have mixed feelings).

Part of the turmoil over Bonds is simply because we know (well, we're pretty darn sure) that he cheated.

But in the code of baseball, no one admits to the ump that he trapped the ball, or missed the tag, or scuffed the ball, or corked the bat. In short, the tradition of baseball allows for cheating if you can get away with it.

How many cheaters in 125 years have gotten away with systematic cheating? We don't know. I would not be surprised to learn that a number of them are in the Hall of Fame.

Bonds admits to using steroids.  He is saying that when he took them, he didn't know what they were.
5/6/2011 4:47 PM
I believe he's said only that he thought he was taking the "cream" and the "clear." That's not the same as admitting he used steroids; it's only an admission of being ignorant about what he was taking.
5/7/2011 12:57 AM
Given that we now know that those were steroid-containing substances with certainty it's a retroactive admission that he now knows he took steroids...  The point being that it's not alleged steroid use.  He used.
5/10/2011 12:49 AM
Posted by llamanunts on 4/21/2011 5:22:00 PM (view original):
He was found guilty of obstruction, and that's gonna be overturned.  The reasoning of the verdict was that he did not respond to a direct question, but rambled instead.  When the question was re-asked, he said, "No, no."

Witnesses ramble in court all the time.  They get asked for a direct response.  They give it.  They never get charged with obstruction.  Legally, this is a sham.

VICTORY LAP

http://deadspin.com/barry-bondss-obstruction-of-justice-conviction-tossed-o-1699607503
4/22/2015 10:24 PM
Posted by llamanunts on 4/22/2015 10:25:00 PM (view original):
Posted by llamanunts on 4/21/2011 5:22:00 PM (view original):
He was found guilty of obstruction, and that's gonna be overturned.  The reasoning of the verdict was that he did not respond to a direct question, but rambled instead.  When the question was re-asked, he said, "No, no."

Witnesses ramble in court all the time.  They get asked for a direct response.  They give it.  They never get charged with obstruction.  Legally, this is a sham.

VICTORY LAP

http://deadspin.com/barry-bondss-obstruction-of-justice-conviction-tossed-o-1699607503
who says big money can't buy revisionist justice?
4/23/2015 1:10 PM
Explain how that applies here, and why the obstruction conviction should stand.  I don't think you can.
4/23/2015 1:46 PM
The thing is, llamanuts, it won't change anyone's vote.  Bonds is still out of the Hall.

Maybe I'm in the vast minority (oxymoron?) on this, but my feeling is that it happened (it being gambling, PEDs, etc.).  People were caught or not, punished or not, irrelevant.  You'll never know how many people did these things and weren't caught and therefore were not punished (and ARE eligible for the Hall).  You can't get those HRs back out of McCovey Cove, you can't conveniently delete the hustle that made you love or hate Pete Rose (depending on who you were rooting for).  What these guys did amazed, astounded, and amused us - put their ***** in the Hall where they belong.
4/23/2015 2:05 PM
I didn't expect it to change anyone's vote, nor did I claim that it would.

If you feel like going back through this thread, you will see that I agree with you about putting Bonds in the Hall.  I disagree about Rose.
4/23/2015 2:13 PM
Oh, I wasn't criticizing you.
4/23/2015 3:12 PM
◂ Prev 1...6|7|8|9|10...13 Next ▸

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.