Nevada...Now NC State Recruit Tracking Topic

Recruit #1: Matthew Blalock

We got pretty lucky in finding a guy like Blalock.  After sinking 30k into UVA-bound Dorian Turner, I had only about 6k left to find a new recruit.  I spent all but $600 attempting to jump on Southern-bound SG Bret Tatham, but I couldn't get onto his considering list with such little cash.  So, I spent about $200 on scouting AZ for a guy who absolutely sucked.  By some huge stroke of luck, a lowly rated SG (#100) had his favorite school as NC State.  Turns out, Blalock had sub-par SG skills, but with good ath/spd and high potential in the right areas, Blalock could turn into a studly SF who will not doubt outshine his poor ranking out of HS.
Edit: ...or not, he was just cut the season after he was recruited.

1/2/2012 11:41 AM (edited)
As the first season with all of my guys concludes, it looks like we came out alright.  We started out 10-0, including a win at home against my old Nevada team, who was ranked #11 at the time.  Going into conference play, we had an RPI of 2.  We started out rough going 2-6, but three of those were OT losses.  We rebounded and finished out the second half 6-2, including another OT loss.  Despite the 8-8 season, we got a first round bye in the CT.  After losing the first round game to Duke, we went into the NT as a 7 seed.  Oddly, we drew Nevada again (my old team, 4 years removed, only lost once since our last matchup).  We squeaked by 77-74, but then lost by 10 to a strong Oregon squad.  We were powered by two time first-team all-ACC and first-team all-american Center Charles Shaaf and second team all-ACC junior Paul Wright.  Kurt Conn turned into a pretty great PG as well.  As long as there are no EEs, Schaaf and Conn will be the only ones departing this team.

12/26/2011 7:32 PM
Charles Schaaf-1st team All-American, 2 time 1st team All-ACC, 2nd all-time in NC State points, 8th in rebounds and 9th in blocks.  EDIT:  He went 4th overall in the NBA Draft.

1/2/2012 11:32 AM (edited)
We went 17-10 this regular season, earning an 8 seed.  Who did we draw (again)?  Nevada.  After losing during our regular season matchup, we won this won.  We moved on to face the 1 seed, Arizona.  Despite being up at halftime, we ended up losing by ten, but I did think we had a pretty good season.  Hopefully this will move the prestige up to an A- and with seven open scholarships, we can get some real players this offseason.  
1/27/2012 2:19 PM
The team was not very talented, but with a bunch of juniors and seniors, this team had high IQs and we had a good zone.  For a team of this talent to win our division and an NT game, I was very pleased.  

1/28/2012 4:52 PM
Senior C Paul Wright finished with the 6th most points in NC State history, 8th in rebounds, and 5th in blocks.  I really liked him throughout his career, I'm going to miss the Wright-Schaaf combo of two years ago.  
2/2/2012 10:50 PM
Our season is over so I guess now is the time to post.  I didn't post after recruiting because I fell into a recruiting depression.  With 7 open spots and an A- prestige I figured I'd really be able to make a splash.  I ended up spending 80+k on two recruits that went elsewhere, I took two walk-ons (one international ineligible guy didn't sign), two internationals, one ****** JUCO, one walk-on level scholarship guy who had to play 20mpg out of necessity, and one guy I thought might be pretty good.  WIth such little talent returning and coming in, I thought it might be the class that could lead to the end of my NC State job.  As it turns out, it was a much better than I thought.  Starting from the beginning of the season, my best recruit developed 109 points.  

With a ton of room to grow still, Crain's Ath cap is 97 or 98 and his defense cap is 99.  He is going to be one heck of a SF.

I did end up getting lucky on both of my international signings.  The first, Romanian PG Alva Zapf, I had more info on; I knew he had high potential in BH, Pas, and defense and high-high potential in Speed , so I decided to take him.  His speed cap is somewhere in the mid-90s and his BH/P should get to around 80.  He'll be an excellent ath/spd/def guard, when coupled with his good handles, should make him a serviceable ACC point guard.

The other international signing was a HUGE success.  I signed this Canadian 7-footer for very cheap.  I didn't scout him much, just enough to know that his rebounding was avg potential, which was good enough for me.  The fact that he has high-high potential in LP takes him from being an athletic rebounder to a potential cornerstone player for the next 3 years.  

2/27/2012 12:12 PM
I think I didn't do very well this year.  Because of our best recruit, it wasn't awful, but I really could have done better with 6 openings and 100+k.  I ended up getting rid of 30+k on James Madison-bound Leandro Conti, a player that signed with us last year, but then decided to go JUCO and on Oregon State-bound SF Eugene Brown.  It was long distance and I think I could have won it, but I didn't want to risk people poaching Jaggers from me, so I let that go.  Overall this year, I think I got 3 career bench players, two guys who will eventually be good starters, and one bona fide superstar.
3/11/2012 11:20 AM (edited)
Recruit #1: Robert Reginer

An unranked recruit, Reginer isn't as bad as he first looks.  He'll be fast-ish, a decent defender, and he'll be able to handle the ball.  He's a career backup point guard.  

3/10/2012 11:50 AM
Recruit #2: Seth Green

My other unranked recruit, Green might go JUCO.  I wouldn't mind a whole lot because he's not that good, but who knows, maybe some of those highs are high-highs and he develops into a beast.  Realistically, he'll probably be a career bench player who comes in and grabs rebounds.

3/11/2012 11:20 AM (edited)
Recruit #3: Victor Dawson

I think Dawson will be a good backup at SF during his career.  His first three years, he'll be backing up Crain and then after that I'll probably have a younger guy over Dawson, but I think he'll be able to score coming off the bench, so I think he will be valuable.  If his Ath and Spd high potentials turn out to be high-highs, I would have to re-evaluate his potential.

3/11/2012 11:21 AM (edited)
Recruit #4:  Aaron Harrison

I really hate his low defense, but it does have high-high potential which is the reason I ended up taking him.  I think he'll also be a sneaky good scorer.  He'll end up being pretty fast with some decent athleticism, he'll really be able to handle the ball well, he'll be able to shoot 3s and he'll be able to slash with (hopefully) 60+ LP.  From my experience, LP can be very helpful in quick guards.  

3/10/2012 12:21 PM
Recruit #5: Lawrence Pierce

Pierce will end up being a good player.  I was searching for a player after one of my other targets had been picked up by another school and found Pierce being recruited by two D- school.  WIth so many high potentials, I thought he might be a good guy to potentially scout.  Turns out, that was a good decision.  He has high-high in Reb and LP.  Hopefully he has it in Ath and Per as well because he could end up being a great player.  IMO, he's a diamond in the rough type of player.

3/10/2012 12:28 PM
Recruit #6: Andrew Jaggers

My whole class was based around getting Jaggers.  Simply put, he's a beast.  He'll start right away and I can't wait until he gets a little older and starts to dominate the ACC.

3/10/2012 12:46 PM
I just read this thread on a fluke while passing time. LOVED it, good work!!
3/10/2012 1:25 PM
◂ Prev 1...3|4|5|6|7...15 Next ▸
Nevada...Now NC State Recruit Tracking Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.