Default Budget Settings Topic

Posted by MikeT23 on 8/11/2010 9:48:00 AM (view original):
What if you don't like the previous guy's budget?   Maybe he's zeroed out in HS, College, Medical and Training.
From CS previous statements it should be locked in at his previous budget with a +/- of 4.
8/11/2010 9:53 AM
Yea thought of that.

Here's your three options, basically;

1. New owner can pick what ever budget they want. That puts the existing owners at a disadvantage, as they are held to a $4M swing.
2. Current system, where new owner is held to $10M per with a $4M swing. That puts the new owner at a disadvantage, as they are held to $6M to $14m in all categories (except payroll)
3. Keep the previous owner's budget. This can be a disadvantage if the previous owner is way off what the new owner wants.

Short of giving everybody the ability to pick whatever they want (which, maybe has merit, but I think you'd lose a strategy component to the game), I like 3 best.

Reasons;
-it stops the "don't renew, rebuy the team" strategy to reset the budget/change the stadium
-the budget is probably (granted, not automatically) in line with the current state of the team.
-in my head, it's the most fair of the 3 to all involved.

Now, to be totally above board; the new guy should be able to see the current budget before purchasing the team. I know they can how if the view the league, click on the team, etc etc, but a newbie would probably not know how to access that info.
8/11/2010 10:15 AM
Posted by lccooler on 8/11/2010 9:53:00 AM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 8/11/2010 9:48:00 AM (view original):
What if you don't like the previous guy's budget?   Maybe he's zeroed out in HS, College, Medical and Training.
From CS previous statements it should be locked in at his previous budget with a +/- of 4.
So it would take me a full year to reach 20 training?   4, 8, 12, 16, 20.    That's no good.
8/11/2010 10:19 AM
death, you realize that's just a new way to make sure no one wants a team, right?    Sign old players to long-term deals, zero out draft/IFA scouting and med/training.    Try selling a team like that to the general public.
8/11/2010 10:21 AM
That argument can be "Sign old players to long-term deals, zero out draft/IFA scouting and med/training, don't renew, reacquire the team with the budget reset"

Really, this isn't a hot button subject for me.
That team is pooched under any system. I just see 3 as most fair. But I wouldn't lose sleep over the other 2.
8/11/2010 10:26 AM

#3 is the worst possible "solution". 

8/11/2010 10:38 AM
Well, you're wrong, but it isn't the first itme.
8/11/2010 10:51 AM
Worst.  "Solution". Possible.

You're already stuck with the previous owner's bad contract decisions.   Nothing you can do about his stupid draft picks.   Now you're suggesting getting his dumb budgeting is a good idea.  

Re. Tard.  Ed.
8/11/2010 11:07 AM
Alright.
Even though you are obviously wrong, you and I (mostly I) have some valid points within the argument.

Do you open the doors and allow unrestricted movement of budget for all? Because, despite the loss of some strategy, it is the most fair covering all possibities.
8/11/2010 11:25 AM
How about keep the previous owner's budget, but allow the new owner the option to "reset" all categories to 10m with +/-4m increments?
8/11/2010 11:28 AM
Posted by jvford on 8/11/2010 11:28:00 AM (view original):
How about keep the previous owner's budget, but allow the new owner the option to "reset" all categories to 10m with +/-4m increments?
Solid solution. I would support this.

Or... I still think my original idea of keeping things as they are with the exception of raising the default training to 14 or 15 works quite well too. It makes perfect sense considering that the "average" training budget universally is somewhere between 14-15, whereas it might be safe to say that 10 is close enough to the average in all the other categories.
8/11/2010 1:12 PM
Yea, I still don't like options that allow for out/back in to reset budgets and thus correct previous year's decisions.

However, as stated earlier, not a hot button subject for me.
8/11/2010 1:18 PM
New owners sets his budget where he wants it.   And is then restricted to +/-4m from then on.

Won't be a problem in private worlds because very few will allow owners to leave and rejoin so they can reset their budgets every season.    You get what you get in public worlds.
8/11/2010 3:18 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 8/11/2010 3:18:00 PM (view original):
New owners sets his budget where he wants it.   And is then restricted to +/-4m from then on.

Won't be a problem in private worlds because very few will allow owners to leave and rejoin so they can reset their budgets every season.    You get what you get in public worlds.
Too much of an advantage. In order to get to 0 or 20 one has to plan for it over a couple of seasons and suffer certain consequences. For example, if I want to bring one or more of my scouting budgets down to 0, I have to shell out 4M the previous season for a pretty much just-as-useless position, and odds are I'm not doing much with the 8M I have to cough up the season before that either. Same with going to 20 to a lesser extent...
8/11/2010 5:14 PM
How is it an advantage?  You buy a team, you set a budget.  Everyone has that option when they sign up for a world for the first time.   Then you have to suffer the consequences of your initial decision.
8/11/2010 5:28 PM
◂ Prev 12345 Next ▸
Default Budget Settings Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.