ASK THE MIKET23 THREAD, PT. 6 Topic

Posted by MikeT23 on 6/5/2015 1:20:00 PM (view original):

For players with good ratings, I tend to keep using them.  I might change their settings/usage, bench them against specific pitchers, etc, etc.  For players with suspect ratings, it's a pretty short leash.   The little fake players don't have emotions so a suspect rating guy isn't fighting with his girlfriend, his dog didn't die and his childhood friend didn't get sent to prison.   He was suspect and he's performing that way so I move on pretty quickly.  For instance, my formula says Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Pedro Juarez just isn't going to be a good BL player.   But, he's 80 overall so I decided to give him a shot playing 3B vs LHP.    40 games in, he's on the bench.   He has 77 PA VL and has produced this: 

.246 .325 .319 .644

That's not nearly good enough to warrant significant playing time.   That said, Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Kevin Ryu has a track record and my formula says he should play all the time.   He started about the same as Juarez.   Not much better yet.   But he's playing full-time.

wouldn't you expect better numbers vs lefties from Juarez? I would, but what do I know? I know. Not very much, especially when it comes to HBD
6/5/2015 6:56 PM
I am surprised at you Mike. You really don't believe Flores was a Top 10 coach in the 1980's? I'm floored.
6/5/2015 8:44 PM
I would but that's one reason I use a formula.    What I think and what's been proven are sometimes two different things.

I just can't think of one thing he did that made him a top coach.   He had great players and stayed out of the way. 
6/5/2015 9:17 PM
What make a HBD team a "playoff" performing team? It seems that the #1 and #2 seeds do not win as often as they should and Wild Card teams win more often. Why is this?
6/6/2015 6:50 AM
The playoffs are largely a crapshoot but you can tilt the scales in your favor with a couple of very good starters.  During the regular season you can get by with 5 good SP.   In the playoffs, you're better served having 3 really good SP and moving #4/5 to the bullpen.   But the reason it's a crapshoot is because the best pitcher in the league can get blasted on any given day and, suddenly, you're down 1-0 in a 5 game set.
6/6/2015 7:04 AM

Morgan Ensberg said he wouldn't trade Domingo Santana (Houston's #5 prospect but who interestingly enough K'd 14 times in 17 BL ABs last year), Brett Phillips (#6), and Preston Tucker (#19) for Cole Hamels, an admittedly cheap Ace. In fact, he said he'd even quit his job as minor leaguer special assignment coach.

If the Astros kept this up, and you were offered that trade, would you A) make the trade, and B) accept Morgan Ensberg's resignation?

6/6/2015 7:54 AM
Houston had a pretty specific plan.   It was A) lose a shitton of games B) build minor league depth.     I don't see C) trade 3 of your best prospects for an aging pitcher in there.  Sounds like Ensberg wants to stay with the plan.    As for what I'd do, I'm not familiar with those three guys but, when you have a chance to win, you should probably go after it.
6/6/2015 12:07 PM
I offered an IFA a big league contract and get the message back:

While my client is flattered with the offer, all he is seaking is a 1 year deal. Make it a 1 year deal and my client should accept.

So I go to offer the IFA a 1 year Big League contract and I get an error message saying:

A player will never accept a big league contract with less then 3 years of term.

...... Did I break the SIM?
6/8/2015 7:32 AM
There used to be a similar message "Your offer is too much for my client.  He doesn't want the pressure of living up to that contract offer" or something.   Basically, your IFA doesn't want a BL contract. 
6/8/2015 8:16 AM
I know this was already addressed with position players but I feel like starting pitching is a totally different game. If you have a starting pitcher that is playing waaay below his ratings, do you keep trotting him out there to ruin games or do you put him in a role where he can't do damage like LRB or Mopup until he shows signs he may have kicked the habit of being horrible.
6/8/2015 1:33 PM
My staff is generally comprised of 3 pitchers who are going to be starters all season regardless of performance.    The other 4-5 SP/LR-types get bounced around based on performance.   SP4 can easily become LRB and vice versa. 
6/8/2015 1:49 PM
So this is a strange response from my first round pick who's demands were  "Looking for a guaranteed MLB contract. If not, he'll probably play indy ball for a season and take his chances next draft."

I make my initial offer and the reply is:

"He's is mulling over your offer. You've given him the big league deal he wants, but we're still debating whether he could get more next year after a season in indy ball. Give us time, and we'll get back with you. More money may make that call come quicker".

Now I've always read that it does no good to offer more money unless they come back and make a new demand, but since this response specifically says
"more money may make that call come quicker", is this an exception?

6/8/2015 3:57 PM
I don't think so. 
6/8/2015 4:29 PM
6/9/2015 6:34 AM
First, it's not a max deal.  Second, the market dictated it.   You fucksticks act like big deals are given out without other bidders.    They aren't. 
6/9/2015 6:42 AM
◂ Prev 1...921|922|923|924|925...1151 Next ▸
ASK THE MIKET23 THREAD, PT. 6 Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.