ASK THE MIKET23 THREAD, PT. 6 Topic

I haven't played a full round in about 15 years.   I first picked up a club in my mid-20s.  Shot something like 165 the first time.   Played 7-8 more weekends and was in the low 100s.   Played 3-4 more weeks, stayed at the low 100s and quit.   Played a couple of rounds in my mid 30s.   Shot the same low 100s.  Haven't played a full round since.   I've played a couple of half rounds and shot in the 40s.    If I was playing a scratch golfer for money, I'd ask for 30 strokes.
1/25/2013 9:22 AM
Mike, is it more productive in HBD to have a really good fielding team, a really good pitching staff, or a power hitting lineup?
1/25/2013 3:37 PM
There is no template for building a good team as there are many ways to be successful.   If I had limited resources, the easiest way to be competitive would be thru fielding.  Fielding is valued less than hitting/pitching in most worlds so it's easier to acquire.   It also helps elevate your pitching staff.   But the real key is finding value.  If you're in a world that does care about fielding, you might find a few mashers who really can't field a position.   See my "The Rightfielder" for an example of how I found a place for the weak C who could hit.
1/25/2013 4:02 PM
How important do you consider the bullpen coach?  What's the most you'd be willing to spend on one? 
1/27/2013 5:36 PM
Not very.  I can't recall the last time I spent more than the minimum.
1/28/2013 10:21 AM
easy j mentioned in in Coop that if griv wasn't yammering on and on, then it would be homosexual jokes at my expense.

I'm thinking that's still a better option. Am I correct in that assessment?
1/28/2013 2:04 PM
I don't see how it couldn't be.
1/28/2013 4:00 PM
How come more people don't use the mutual option?  My understanding is that the player rarely declines.  Seems a good way to tack more money onto a FA offer without fully committing to the last year....
1/29/2013 4:17 PM
I assume most people don't fully understand it.  And it's not the optimal way to build a contract.   Paying 2-4m at the end to get away from a useless player is a poor use of funds.   But, alas, sometimes it's the only way.   And, if you are successful on the front end, it's probably worth it.  Examples:
  Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Richie Flynn
Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Roy Branson

Won a WS and followed it up with another playoff run.  Both are still servicable this season but, next season in their option years, I doubt they will be.  I'll be paying 5m for them to not play for me.   I could probably do something with that 5m.
1/29/2013 6:09 PM
I would look at more as a signing bonus on the back end. No?
1/29/2013 6:16 PM
Except the player won't be playing for you in his prime.  
1/29/2013 6:21 PM
Does GB/FB ratio really affect HR's?  Look at these two guys Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Christopher Ross and Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Edgardo Camacho.  One with a GB/FB rating of 96, the other with a rating of 5, yet pretty similar HR ratios.  Is this an anomaly, or do I just not understand GB/FB (yes I get that park effects and level of opponent matter)?
1/30/2013 9:02 PM
Yeah, it does.  Ross is way high for his rating and Camacho might be a little low.   I'd write it off to SSS or luck of the draw.   I've had to dump pretty good guys with GB in the 20s because their ERA never matched their WHIP. 
1/31/2013 8:32 AM
Mike, does pushing a player in his early 30s to play his max amount of innings make him decline faster? I'm not talking an injury by playing him below 100%. I'm talking off season natural age decline. Will this increase based in innings played?
1/31/2013 10:01 PM
No.   As I understand it, the entire game is based on ratings not stats or usage.   You can't "save" IP/AB for next season.
1/31/2013 10:07 PM
◂ Prev 1...695|696|697|698|699...1151 Next ▸
ASK THE MIKET23 THREAD, PT. 6 Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.