Non Contributor Years in Progressives Topic

How much does the, lack of input, in his early years have, on when a Player is selected in a Draft?. For example in a recent Progressive, I was drafting in, Tim McCarver wasn't drafted till the end. Tim's Rookie year was about 100 PA's and a .234 Average followed by an IR Year. After this, begiining in his 3rd year, Tim becomes very productive for some time. It seems like the 1 year of low productivity and 1 year on the shelf, really cost Tim in his draft ranking. Also, in the same Draft Matty Alou was a late draft pick. Matty was a low producer for 5 years before catching fire for a few years. It seems like his draft ranking was also severly affected by low years productivity.
5/3/2010 12:02 AM
It depends on the rest of your roster. I'll take a couple guys with garbage first years if I have enough other guys to fill out my roster
5/3/2010 12:06 AM
Thats true-in the case above I had made Tom Haller C, my Round 1 Pick, who was to have a "garbage year" as a Rookie, so once I did that it was really impossible to consider McCarver in the later rounds, even though I was surprised how cheap he became.
5/3/2010 12:23 AM
once you get into the middle of the first round then you usually have teams looking to win now. they may take a 1-year wonder over a long-term project.
5/3/2010 12:22 PM
Hm-Good Point-Teams in the Middle of the Pack, want to go for it now and will usually put their Long Term Project, on the back burner. (Sam Sad Jones for Bill White)
5/3/2010 12:56 PM
I remember waiting several frustrating seasons for Jim Thome to finally turn into a "guy". Almost as soon as he did, I ended up trading him for an SP.
5/3/2010 1:35 PM
Also it depends on the depth of the progressive. If McCarver is an elite catcher when he finally shows up then he goes earlier. But if he's a middle of the pack catcher at best, then he is a late round pick.
5/3/2010 1:50 PM
It was a 3 era Progressive-1931-1961-1991, with 8 Teams in each era, holding separate Drafts........But when McCarver arrives in 63, I'd have to rank him behind only Elston Howard, Earl Battey and Joe Torre, and after those 4, there's a drop off. But then again, with 8 Teams that makes him middle of the Pack, and perhaps a late round pick,
5/3/2010 2:05 PM
This actually worked out pretty well in my favor in one league I'm in. Guys with good careers but poor starts fell to the bottom of the 1st round where I was able to pick Walt Weiss and Dante Bichette in consecutive years.
5/3/2010 2:17 PM
yeah, if you can string enough of them together then you're set for a while :)
5/3/2010 2:18 PM
But sometimes it gets complicated with the Good Career Poor Start Guys, because you may have to check a few years in advance to see what 1 year wonders or shorter term players might be available in future drafts until a Dante Bichette is ready.
5/3/2010 3:51 PM
If you figure you'll be around the league for a while you can clean up on guys like Harmon Killebrew, Brady Anderson, Otis Nixon, Matt Williams, y O'Doul, and - my favorite - Dazzy Vance.
5/3/2010 4:00 PM
Good Point-Often the competition, for the Good Career Poort Start Guy, is reduced, because Owners, are reluctant to make a long term committement to a particular League, thus giving other owners choices they might not have normally had.
5/3/2010 4:12 PM
It's nice when you can stash a guy in the minors for a season or two until they're ready to play.
5/3/2010 10:54 PM
generally speaking, I don't like stashing, these late starters in the Minors, because of the extra Book Keeping and a longer draft, but perhaps allowing AAA's-Below Average to Play. But that can present a problem when everyone wants to load up, with AAA's, at the Position these late Starters play.
5/3/2010 11:44 PM
12 Next ▸
Non Contributor Years in Progressives Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.