dynasty list index and more Topic

well wronoj, what do you think is a good amount to discount per year? i was doing 10% per year (most recent - 100%, then 90%, then 81%, etc) which makes the last year worth only about a third of the most recent in a 10 year list. i just felt like that was too severe. between two guys, one who wins 2 NTS then makes the 2nd round 8 times vs a guy who makes the 2nd round 9 times then wins 1NT, the guy with 1NT championship would rank significantly higher.

i know that in real life, people often care more about the NT that was just won, but in terms of team of the decade, i would definitely go with the 2NT guy so that was sort of my line of thinking. i definitely see your side though. so im curious, what do you think the discount should be?
1/5/2011 6:15 PM
so many of the old links were broken whenever WIS updated the forums, so i figured i should probably repost it all, in case anyone wants to reference it (always scroll down the first page to find the latest posted results). i think at one point these threads had 6 or 8K views (i checked one, over a year ago) but im not sure if anyone can find them anymore. will be updating throughout the day...

edit: wow, can't believe this thread alone is at 5K now. i guess people HAVE been finding it for something. i think it was only like 2k last i checked, the most viewed of any, but still a far cry from where it is now. as ive been running these, ive been editing the code so i could easily just make it all 1 process. like, i run 1 command to scrape all the data from the game. but then i was recompiling with constants to run other tests... not sure why, i changed that in about 5 minutes. but problem was not everything went to a file, id been lazy and taken shortcuts all over. its almost at the point now of, run 1 command, and all files are generated for everything. a couple are messy and i have to cut and paste out of it, where as the original stuff all formatted itself for me, and if i could fix it and make it nothing but copy paste, that wouldnt be bad at all. but anyway, ill try to keep it more up to date if that many people are still going back to find stuff.

5/26/2012 4:13 PM (edited)
just a reminder, this list will always have links to every list i create - to find it, just remember to search for "list" or "index" or "list index" whichever makes sense to you. don't forget to set timeframe to ALL or it won't show up (default is 1 month search)
5/26/2012 4:23 PM
bump. completed all my updates. ill keep bumping this every couple days for a week or so, so the casual forum reader can find the lists. i have made some program changes, to make things simpler, but i have a bit more to *fully* automate it so thats easier to do these in the future. i also plan to play around with something to figure out the conference bonus money records, but i may not get there.

let me know if you guys have any feedback for me - suggestions for new lists, suggestions for modifications to existing lists, any ordering issues on any of the lists - please don't hesitate to let me know! anyway, hope everyone is having a good long memorial day weekend! :)

5/28/2012 1:56 AM
bump.
5/29/2012 12:07 AM
bump (last time till next update)
5/31/2012 2:35 PM
Some cool stuff here Billyg. Ever thought of a d1 non-big6 school dynasty list?
6/1/2012 8:01 AM
interesting idea, i haven't thought about that. i guess some non-big6 schools must make the top 50 list for the world, but still, there are probably a lot of good mid majors who don't make the list. my only concern is with including the a10, which in some worlds, has been dominant. and they have the b- baselines. anyway, i agree it would be cool to see who the best non big-6 teams were!
6/2/2012 2:05 AM (edited)
Really enjoyed these dynasty lists and rankings. Would love to see an update if you find the time.
12/14/2012 3:33 AM
Posted by kelby_03 on 12/14/2012 3:33:00 AM (view original):
Really enjoyed these dynasty lists and rankings. Would love to see an update if you find the time.
+1
12/14/2012 9:31 AM
is it bad that i got a total kick out of your post coach?? lol sorry.. seriously though, my brother use to ***** about the same thing when he drove into work (he works midnights).  The speed limit is 35 and they'd pull him over at 1155pm, nobody around, b/c he was doing 42 mph.. seriously?? 7 mph over at midnight is BS!!  it probably doesnt help that he drove a cadillac escalade so im sure they were profiling his ***.. huntington (wv) is known for drugs and cheap guns.. its where the detroit thugs come to make that money by slinging that rock and trafficking guns.. the detroit thugs call it MONEYTON instead of huntington.. complete joke!!
12/15/2012 12:32 AM
bump. posting world pop data and current team dynasties today. just the same world ones today - the cross world ones, ill post in a day or two (and will keep going from there). just need to find my old threads so i remember how the thing was formatted...
8/23/2014 4:09 PM
ok, posted the current conference dynasties. this is the one for everyone - the top 50 teams in every division of every world - for the preceding 5, 10, and 20 year periods. most of the forum coaches are pretty competitive and probably have a top 50 program somewhere, so i wanted to do this one first. a bunch of the other stuff is run but i will get to posting it later.

i cant update the index posts at the start of this, because i haven't played on that account in too long, so ill have to use one of the free seasons or get seble to turn it on for me.

im kind of sitting here like, wishing i could see the lists for my south carolina team (d1 tark). usually any time i've had a program i cared about, i ran the lists. but i never did for south carolina, and now i wonder, where did they stand in my tenure there? no way to see that now. i might have to create a web interface for these dynasty lists that lets you view historically, so you can basically see the current same and cross world dynasty lists from any given point in time. i can generate that data for any point in time, if i do the work to correlate when 1/day and 2/day seasons roll (not that hard - wouldn't be perfect either because old admin used to delay the season for various holidays - but nobody would notice that small difference). its not exactly a tiny project but not a huge one either... so we will see. posting the dynasty lists is a pain in the ***, took me like 30m just to get back into the process, just for these 3 things. i could theoretically never have to do that again, if i just made the web service, and had it run once a month to grab the freshest data - and that is a decent motivator :)

i feel like that would make it much easier to find info, too - for example, if you wanted to see the best programs on a 10 year basis in your world - you could just put in your world and the season, and it would show you 1 list of 50 people. now, you have to find the thread that is the right kind of dynasty list, over the right time frame, and then find your division and then within there, your world. its 1 list among 30 in 1 thread among many. it would be cool to have a little report service too, like you put in your team - and it shows you a comprehensive summary of your team's rankings on all the lists that year, as well as a summary for your conference. what are all the conf teams ranked over the 5, 10, 20 year period? any on the all-HD cross world list? any on the all-time great list? seems like that would make this much more digestible for the average coach, it feels more than a bit clunky as a massive data dump.

8/23/2014 4:46 PM (edited)
Thanks, Billy! But did you have to do it right after our 3 worst seasons ever :)
8/26/2014 3:47 PM
I'd have been curious as to where my Crum D3 rankings would've gone if you'd just waited three more days. . . but thanks, this is really cool!
8/26/2014 4:06 PM
◂ Prev 1...4|5|6|7|8 Next ▸
dynasty list index and more Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.