dynasty list index and more Topic

bump. still need to fix world 2 being displayed under the world 5 header and visa versa (although when you look at the actual results, it does show the correct world). will have a lot of downtime over the next 4 days for a change, so i should have some updates soon. looking forward to the conf dynasty lists, that should be a fun one. hope to see Tark's GLV near the top!
3/25/2010 2:13 AM
bump. no change just wanted to look something up had to search for it.
4/11/2010 10:15 AM
bump (no change)
4/27/2010 3:09 PM
i mined a new set of data from 5/5. i will be re-running most of the old stuff on the new data.

also, i added conference dynasty lists. these lists are just the best 100 conferences in all worlds, per division. the way i came up with conference scores was to take the scores of each member school, and add each season in the time period. to curb the effect of really high scoring school, which i think would inflate the score of mediocre conferences with 1 or 2 great schools, and also to create more logical numbers with respect to the weightings of a conference title vs final 4 vs s16 vs nt appearance,etc, i put each season score to the power of .8. i think this creates a much better representation of the actual strength of the conference. conference scores do incorporate world strength.
5/5/2010 6:34 PM
oh yeah, and a shout out to all the fine GLV Tark coaches, past and present, who have helped made our current 20 season run the best in d2 history. you have all made the GLV experience my most enjoyable, and have made my dream of helping the GLV become the top d2 conference in HD a reality.
5/5/2010 6:38 PM
great stuff.
5/5/2010 6:46 PM
bump. CS, could you pin this thread? thanks!
5/6/2010 4:48 PM
thanks CS!!
5/6/2010 5:12 PM
thanks for the update
5/16/2010 2:13 PM
So what's the deal with the "world strength" list - how'd you make it and is it up somewhere?
5/21/2010 2:15 PM
Quote: Originally posted by cornfused on 5/21/2010So what's the deal with the "world strength" list - how'd you make it and is it up somewhere?

well, i decided not to post those results. i wasn't sure how it would be received, so instead i posted the population of the worlds which mostly follows the world strength figures (except for free HD periods in d3).

basically, to incorporate difficulty of worlds to balance dynasties across worlds, i come up with a single figure for every division of every world, for every season. the figure is just the sum of the world strength value for each team, which is NOT based on the success of that team in any way. instead, it is a value based on the coach history of that team over the past 10 seasons. so, having a human coach vs a sim makes a huge difference, having a human coach last season vs having a sim coach last season makes a pretty big difference, having it be the same human vs a different human is a small difference... the importance goes down every year but its enough that having a human for 5 years after 5 sim years vs 10 human years is non-negligible, although really not that much.
5/22/2010 2:33 PM
at the end of world strength calculations i take the square root of everything to soften the curve (then i normalize so the smallest value is 1, and the others go up correspondingly - so it was easier for me to make sense of). then that value is used in the season score for the team and conference dynasty lists, in a straight multiplication kind of way. so if your end of season dynasty score was 30, and your world strength coefficient was 1.3 for that season, then your score would be 30*1.3 = 39. if that score came from having 180 people in your d1, then a world with 190 people would probably only be like a 1.32 world strength or something. it really is not a significant difference unless the world is significantly different. for example, right now the spread in d1, which has fairly similar population figures for active coaches today in all worlds, ranges from 1.769 to 1.874. d3 has a wider population range, and values range from 1.084 to 1.276.
5/22/2010 2:42 PM
I think the formula favors the originator's teams--especially in Tark DII.
5/27/2010 11:26 AM
I think Rails was kidding.

And I agree with you leaving out CT performance -- it's just an arbitrary slice of a couple games.

Nice work!
6/3/2010 7:59 AM
I was joking, Bill.
6/3/2010 11:34 AM
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4|5|6...8 Next ▸
dynasty list index and more Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.