History of Trades Topic

I've created this thread for general discussion of trades past, good, bad or strange, NHL or not.

Do you have a story about how your team pulled a trade that helped them win the Cup, or how they gave up on that youngster too early? Post it here.

I'll start things off with this one...

On January 19, 1983, the Western Hockey League's Seattle Breakers dealt Tom Martin to Victoria for a used bus and future considerations.

For the full story: http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=389677
2/10/2010 9:03 PM
My Dad was a Wings season ticket holder....he took me with him most of the time....saw GREAT games....Probie vs. Crowder: the rematch.....The Claude Lemieux Payback brawl....Yzerman's 500th goal.....and game 4 of the Cup Final vs. Philli when Mcarty got the winner.....

I vaguely remember one season, still being young maybe 12 or 13 and saying....gee Dad that Adam Oates is pretty good.....then he was traded for Bernie Federko as a rent-a-player for the upcoming playoffs (forget what year it was) anyway....Federko was shite by then...and Oates went on to much better things....would've loved to see Oates and Yzerman team up before Bowman Defensified the Wings
2/10/2010 9:20 PM
Neely and a 1st round pick (Glen Wesley) for Pederson.

Wesley got traded to the Whale for 3 1st round picks (Kyle McLaren, Sergei Samsonov, and Johnathan Aitken).

Kyle McLaren was traded to San Jose for Jeff Jillson and Jeff Hackett. Jeff Jillson was traded back to San Jose for Brad Boyes. Brad Boyes was traded to St. Louis for Dennis Wideman.

Sergei Samsonov was traded to Edmonton for Marty Reasoner, Yan Stastny, and a 2nd round pick (Milan Lucic).

So the Bruins still have Lucic and Wideman over from that trade. They also got some of the best seasons out of Neely, Wesley, McLaren, and Samsonov.
2/11/2010 7:39 AM
The most frustrating trade of my life as a Penguins fan:

Markus Naslund to Vancouver for Alek Stojanov.

Stojanov's stats as a Penguin(reg season+playoffs): 54 games played, 2 goals, 4 assists, 105 PIMs.

Markus Naslund went on to become the Canucks all-time point leader. By my estimation, 359 goals and 430 assists as a Canuck.

2/11/2010 8:36 AM
One of the trades that helped shape the next decade for my beloved Hawks (and not in a good way) was the Dominik Hasek trade.

In one of the 90's most lopsided trades, Chicago traded Hasek to the Buffalo Sabres for goalie Stephane Beauregard and a fourth-round draft choice with which the Hawks selected Eric Daze.

This was the first in a long line of bonehead moves by the Hawks, including trading Jeremy Roenick to the Coyotes for Alexei Zhamnov and a bag of pucks,and Ed Belfour for Ulf Dahlen, Chris Terreri, and some Christmas decorations. Thus the slide into mediocrity began.

At least we can take solace in the Matt Ellison-for-Patrick Sharp and Brandon Bochenski-for-Kris Versteeg deals that followed.
2/11/2010 9:57 AM
To be fair, the Hasek trade was a necessity, as it was an expansion year and they could only protect 1 goaltender in the draft (Belfour).
2/11/2010 10:00 AM
christmas decorations can get pretty pricey. don't sell those things short
2/11/2010 10:05 AM
Quote: Originally posted by andru2797 on 2/11/2010To be fair, the Hasek trade was a necessity, as it was an expansion year and they could only protect 1 goaltender in the draft (Belfour).

Hasek had also told the team he was going back home to be the Czech national goalie rather than be a backup.
2/11/2010 10:23 AM
June 23, 2001. My hometown Ottawa Senators, in the middle of a well-documented string of playoff chokes, were saddled with a monstrous millstone of a turdball of a purported number one centre named Alexei Yashin. I honestly wished the guy would just get hit by a bus just to get rid of him. At the same time, I was looking at this kid named Jason Spezza in the draft, the kind of player you wish you could draft for your team, but Ottawa had no shot at all to get him. Well, Ottawa got him... and Chara.

Sometimes, Milbury happens.

2/11/2010 10:29 AM
Quote: Originally posted by damag on 2/11/2010June 23, 2001.  My hometown Ottawa Senators, in the middle of a well-documented string of playoff chokes, were saddled with a monstrous millstone of a turdball of a purported number one centre named Alexei Yashin.  I honestly wished the guy would just get hit by a bus just to get rid of him.  At the same time, I was looking at this kid named Jason Spezza in the draft, the kind of player you wish you could draft for your team, but Ottawa had no shot at all to get him.  Well, Ottawa got him... and Chara.Sometimes, Milbury happens. 

AND Bill Muckalt!! lol
2/11/2010 10:45 AM
I know it's obvious....but the Gretzky trade was fairly lopsided
2/11/2010 10:59 AM
Quote: Originally Posted By andru2797 on 2/11/2010

AND Bill Muckalt!! lol
Oh hell, Muckalt was worth the entertainment alone. By the end of that season the team did everything they could to get him a goal, but he just couldn't find the back of the net!

Update - I just checked the database. No NHL forward ever took more shots on goal in a season without scoring a goal than Bill Muckalt in 01-02.

2/11/2010 11:09 AM
Also....don't know the details, but what did Florida get out of the trade that sent Luongo to Vancouver?

And, I know that Ken Dryden was drafted by the Boston Bruins....did he become a Montreal Canadian via trade??? If so, what did the Habs give up to get him?
2/11/2010 11:11 AM
Wikipedia:

Dryden was raised in Islington-City Centre West (then just outside Toronto) and drafted fourteenth overall by the Boston Bruins in the 1964 NHL Amateur Draft. Later the same day, Boston traded Dryden to the Montreal Canadiens, along with Alex Campbell, for Paul Reid and Guy Allen, whom the Bruins highly valued. Dryden was actually informed by his agent that he had been drafted by the Canadiens, and did not find out he had originally been a Bruin until the mid-1970s. SPAN/SPAN2SPAN/SPAN

2/11/2010 11:15 AM
Luongo's 2 trades (via Hockey-reference.com):

June 24, 2000: Traded to Florida by NY Islanders with Olli Jokinen for Mark Parrish and Oleg Kvasha, June 24, 2000.

June 23, 2006: Traded to Vancouver by Florida with Lukas Krajicek and Florida's 6th round choice (Sergei Shirokov) in 2006 Entry Draft for Todd Bertuzzi, Bryan Allen and Alex Auld, June 23, 2006.
2/11/2010 12:18 PM
123 Next ▸
History of Trades Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.