What are you reading? Topic

1/16/2022 1:21 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Bagchucker...I agree wholeheartedly...especially the part about “double bank the fly cops”...Truer words were never spoken...
1/17/2022 4:05 PM
I started watching Young Wallender on Netflix and I'm liking it. Im thinking of starting the books by Henning Mankell.
I am a big fan of Scandinavian detective and police procedural books.
Has anyone read any of the Wallender books?
1/20/2022 4:44 PM
After reading "Shoeless Joe", I had to read another Kinsella book. I chose "The Iowa Baseball Conferderacy" and was not disappointed, On the contrary, I was thoroughly entertained for over 2,000 extra innings!
1/25/2022 6:07 PM
Posted by Jetson21 on 1/20/2022 4:44:00 PM (view original):
I started watching Young Wallender on Netflix and I'm liking it. Im thinking of starting the books by Henning Mankell.
yeah I've read just about everything by Mankell, he's great
1/25/2022 6:12 PM
Posted by 06gsp on 1/25/2022 6:12:00 PM (view original):
Posted by Jetson21 on 1/20/2022 4:44:00 PM (view original):
yeah I've read just about everything by Mankell, he's great
I noticed on the TV series that Wallender’s father who is a renowned Swedish painter has the same first name as the author.
1/25/2022 7:14 PM

Good story... I have to admit that I am somewhat fascinated by the character of Carl Mays... him and Hornsby. Both were considered generally unlikable guys. Hornsby, I feel, comes across as an ***, whereas Mays was largely just suffered from being cold and uncharismatic.
Anyway, as much as I enjoyed it, my main argument with the book was that it, obviously, painted Mays as a headhunter, but gave no context for the use of beanballs and brush-back pitches as a regular part of a pitcher's arsenal in those days. Was he an outlier? The book offers no answers.
1/30/2022 11:14 AM
yooooo
2/12/2022 6:51 AM
I started reading the Boz. Not sure why I never read it when it came out 34 years ago. It's much better than I anticipated!

He is a complex, and misunderstood person.

However, he thinks Troy Aikman is a terrible QB, and Skip Bayless is a great journalist...
2/12/2022 11:04 AM
Posted by laramiebob on 1/15/2022 11:03:00 AM (view original):
NICE list!
Like the diversity and LOVE the Tom Robbins reads.
"Skinny Legs" is awesome and funny! and Jitterbug Perfume is charming as all get out.
And Hampton Sides classic too! Great historical tome.

Ever read any Pete Dexter?
I have not read Dexter, will look into it.

2022 list so far:

Apocalypse Z : The beginning of the end – M Loureiro
Blood in the water: the Attica prison uprising of 1971 and its legacy – H Thompson [ALERT FOR BAGCHUCKER - PULITZER WINNER]
Mistborn: the Final Empire – B Sanderson
Legacy of Spies – J LeCarre

Just started Shantaram by Gregory David Roberts.
2/21/2022 1:17 PM
Heather is a bit more serious of a historian, though I do love Hunter.
2/21/2022 4:00 PM
One great Russian novelist (V. Nabokov) takes down another:

My position in regard to Dostoyevsky is a curious and difficult one. In all my courses I approach literature from the only point of view that literature interests me - namely the point of view of enduring art and individual genius. From this point of view Dostoyevsky is not a great writer, but a rather mediocre one - with flashes of excellent humor, but, alas, with wastelands of literary platitudes in between. In ''Crime and Punishment'' Raskolnikov for some reason or other kills an old female pawnbroker and her sister. Justice in the shape of an inexorable police officer closes slowly in on him until in the end he is driven to a public confession, and through the love of a noble prostitute he is brought to a spiritual regeneration that did not seem as incredibly banal in 1866 when the book was written as it does now when noble prostitutes are apt to be received a little cynically by experienced readers. My difficulty, however, is that not all the readers to whom I talk in this or other classes are experienced. A good third, I should say, do not know the difference between real literature and pseudoliterature, and to such readers Dostoyevsky may seem more important and more artistic than such trash as our American historical novels or things called ''From Here to Eternity'' and suchlike balderdash.

As for me, I just finished re-reading Crime and Punishment. I enjoyed it a lot more than the first time I read it, over 30 years ago, and even laughed out loud a few times (I don't recall finding it funny in my youth). The translation I read was from 2017 by Michael R. Katz: I think he did a great job modernizing the prose while keeping that feeling of 19th century Saint Petersburg.
2/23/2022 3:44 AM
Maybe Nabokov isn't great. I thought he was when I was in my 20s, when I read maybe a dozen of his novels, and thought Lolita and Pale Fire in particular were brilliant. Maybe he's in a special category of brilliant-but-not-great (like John Updike, Gore Vidal, Martin Amis): writers who can put together dazzling and original sentences, but are still lacking something, "depth" or "soul" or whatever you want to call it. I think Norman Mailer called it "the wound" when talking about Vidal.
2/23/2022 2:31 PM
I don't think I've ever finished an Updike novel, although I started a few.

I'll say this about him, he writes a fine book review. Same with Martin Amis and Gore Vidal -- I like their non-fiction a lot better than their fiction. Vidal in particular, that guy could be a real entertaining ***** once he started ragging on someone. Here he is on Ayn Rand.
2/25/2022 10:49 PM
◂ Prev 1...84|85|86|87|88...90 Next ▸
What are you reading? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.