What are you reading? Topic

THE PATH TO POWER---THE YEARS OF LYNDON JOHNSON--------ROBERT A. CARO
5/1/2012 6:31 AM
Posted by italyprof on 4/29/2012 5:55:00 PM (view original):
Trentonjoe, tell me what you think of Guns, Germs and Steel when you are done. There are things I liked about it, but in the end I had some criticisms and even thought about writing a piece about some problems I had with Diamond's approach to history. 

Money Ball hasn't made it to Italy yet. Have to wait for it to hit satellite TV.
I have no beef with Diamond's main points.

The fundamental theory that human being will thrive in situations that have the most resources and some competition makes sense to me.

I can't really argue about his research, I don't know enough about it to find flaws.

His use of language roots as a civilization tracker I thought was fascinating.
5/1/2012 9:11 AM
I agree with marcstuarts assessment of Michelangelo. I read "The Agony the Ecstasy" a number of years ago and it lead to a memorable visit to Florence and Rome to marvel at the works of this master.
5/6/2012 12:44 AM
Posted by Trentonjoe on 5/1/2012 9:11:00 AM (view original):
Posted by italyprof on 4/29/2012 5:55:00 PM (view original):
Trentonjoe, tell me what you think of Guns, Germs and Steel when you are done. There are things I liked about it, but in the end I had some criticisms and even thought about writing a piece about some problems I had with Diamond's approach to history. 

Money Ball hasn't made it to Italy yet. Have to wait for it to hit satellite TV.
I have no beef with Diamond's main points.

The fundamental theory that human being will thrive in situations that have the most resources and some competition makes sense to me.

I can't really argue about his research, I don't know enough about it to find flaws.

His use of language roots as a civilization tracker I thought was fascinating.
Another history teacher jumping in...I liked GGS, but liked Collapse better. The most common criticism of Diamond (besides the fact that he is not a historian) is that he is too much of a geographic determinist, and removes too much of the human element from the discussion. As a World History teacher we do discuss many of Diamond's arguments.
5/6/2012 8:38 AM
italyprof...I concur on The Bullpen Gospels. I read it last year and thought it was great...not often that a book makes me LOL.

I've got two going on right now: Dreaming of Gold, Dreaming of Home; Chinese migration from Guangdong Province --> US 1882-1943. I had never really studied the Chinese Exclusion Acts...more proud moments in US history. 

The other book is Field Notes from a Catastrophe: Man ,Nature, and Climate Change. It's not good news.
5/6/2012 8:44 AM
1.  I am surprised you can read Mike.

2. If you really want  to study Chines immigration find some stuff on the California state and local laws that were designed to segregate and punish the Chinese immigrants.   San Francisco had some seriously bias ones.
5/6/2012 8:55 AM
TJ-1. on a good day anyway....mostly I look at the pictures.

2. We do a two-week explorations class at the end of the year, students can choose from a variety of classes, and we only have to teach one two-hour block. I am partnering with one of our teachers from Montana who is traveling there with students to the state historical society and they are going to digitize all of the Chinese records and letters. They will email them to us and we will have some of our Mandarin staff, and parents and students who can read traditional characters do the translation. My little piece of the puzzle will be teaching about migration to the US from China and the Chinese experience there. I've been watching the Bill Moyers special on "Becoming American" and the Ken Burns' series "The West." The Chinese were seriously discriminated against; but the Western part of the trans-continental railroad would not have been built without them. (I am sure Swamp from the Pit would disagree!)
5/9/2012 2:40 AM
Posted by bebechacha on 5/6/2012 12:44:00 AM (view original):
I agree with marcstuarts assessment of Michelangelo. I read "The Agony the Ecstasy" a number of years ago and it lead to a memorable visit to Florence and Rome to marvel at the works of this master.
To put it in baseball terms, the "David" (found in the Accademia museum in Florence-dedicated primarily to this masterpiece) is the Babe Ruth of the art world.  I defy anyone to view this sculpture and not be profoundly moved.  I'm going back this summer and this will be a stop for me.  Second time and an absolute must.
5/11/2012 11:55 AM
I am reading this right now:

Discover Your Inner Economist: Use Incentives to Fall in Love, Survive Your Next Meeting, and Motivate Your Dentist 

It sucks....
5/11/2012 1:42 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
I'll check out Thinking Fast and Slow....I also want to read Blink, but I haven't gotten to it yet.  Should I read that first or does it not matter?
5/11/2012 2:39 PM (edited)
BURY MY HEART AT WOUNDED KNEE---- DEE BROWN

JUST BOUGHT A COPY OF 20 YR ANNIV. EDITION AT USED BOOK STORE FER  $1.50
5/11/2012 4:30 PM
Posted by pfattkatt on 10/27/2009 3:16:00 PM (view original):
At the risk of sounding boring, or perhaps something even worse, I have been reading the Bible, and apologetic literature. I grew up in an alcohol dominated house hold, and my life was in turmoil until i opened a Bible by chance one day, and it made sense. other than that, i am addicted to crossword puzzles, and pick up a newspaper where ever i'm at. I read "Edison and the Electric Chair" a few months ago, that is an excellent read.
You cannot do any better than the Bible. 

PS Just make sure you don't miss the great central point of it all, the Gospel, perhaps best summarrized by the verse in Second Corinthians: "He made Him who knew no sin to become sin for us, that we might become the righteousness of God in Him." 2 Corin 5:21
5/11/2012 5:41 PM
◂ Prev 1...10|11|12|13|14...90 Next ▸
What are you reading? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.