Quote: Originally Posted By bklynborn on 10/20/2009
What if God were one of us?

+1
10/20/2009 3:52 PM
Quote: Originally Posted By River_Rats on 10/20/2009
Quote: Originally Posted By bklynborn on 10/20/2009

What if God were one of us?

+1

very nice.....I chuckled out loud on that one!
10/20/2009 4:04 PM
Quote: Originally Posted By thats_nice on 10/19/2009My advise is close your mouth and open your ears. It's a great life rule to follow. Until you're educated on a subject through experience or research shut up and listen to others. You'll learn alot! Continue reading the forums. ask questions (run a search first and see if the question has been asked already). Many on the site have helped me learn how the sim works. The good and the bad. But you'll never learn if you're busy giving opinion
Did you really just tell him to shut up? Who are you? All customers of WIS have the right to post in the forums and hate to break it to you...but there is nothing that says you have to be a HOF'er to have a voice. That goes for everybody who implies that Steve doesn't have a right to ask questions or voice his opinion right or wrong. Dude made the playoffs with his first team - he did something right!! If you don't like his opinons that is fine, contradict them, discuss, etc. But don't tell him to shut up.
10/20/2009 5:20 PM
Shut up.
10/20/2009 6:56 PM
I did not mean to tell him to shut up. What I meant to say is ask questions. That way you learn a bit more so you kinda know what you're talking about.

"I don't care what era O.Smith plays in he would still be great."
How do you know Ozzie would have been great with a flat piece of leather on his hand and a poorly groomed field?

"by posting my opinion I am asking questions"
No you're posting your opinions. asking a question starts with who what where when why how. I think, is an opinion not a way to ask a question. If you go to Mcdonalds and say I think I'll have a cheeseburger you won't hear them say cheeseburgers are good but I prefer mcnuggets you should have those instead.

"I have a C.Figgins a C fielder, he's made 3 errors in 6 games. That's a joke. He's on pace for 81 errors!!!! Love to see what a D fielder would do!"
This should help understand why to not state opinion without knowledge.

"Force teams to have a min of a 4 man rotation. It's amazing to me how many players are just unuseable in the sim."
These statements just show that he doesn't have a grasp on the sim.

Though Steve has some great points they are completely deflated by his stupid ones
10/20/2009 7:06 PM
On the first page of threads in the Sim League Forums there are 30 threads. There are 5 by site staff, one by Biglenr and one by Biffert that are more or less permanent leaving 23 others. 10 of those remaining 23 have been started by NON HOFers...proving the forums are wide open to everyone and used by everyone , not just HOFers as cbaltz_ca asserts.

Chill dude.
10/20/2009 8:03 PM
BOOGERLIPS' OPINIONS COUNT FOR 140% MORE THAN EVERYONE ELSE'S COMBINED

THE END
10/20/2009 8:07 PM
Quote: Originally posted by thats_nice on 10/20/2009"I don't care what era O.Smith plays in he would still be great."
How do you know Ozzie would have been great with a flat piece of leather on his hand and a poorly groomed field?

Though Steve has some great points they are completely deflated by his stupid ones
If that's an example of a stupid point, then anyone with common sense is stupid. Ozzie would be one of the best fielders under any conceivable playing conditions. I don't see how an intelligent argument against that theory could be made.
10/21/2009 1:34 AM
Quote: Originally Posted By winnetka1 on 10/20/2009
On the first page of threads in the Sim League Forums there are 30 threads. There are 5 by site staff, one by Biglenr and one by Biffert that are more or less permanent leaving 23 others. 10 of those remaining 23 have been started by NON HOFers...proving the forums are wide open to everyone and used by everyone , not just HOFers as cbaltz_ca asserts.

Chill dude.

I did not assert that the forums are only open to HOF'ers...talk about being taken out of context. I was saying that you should not tell someobdy to shut up for voicing their opinion if they are not as "experienced" as some see fit.
10/21/2009 2:03 AM
For all of you stat junkies that are so high and mighty piling on. consider that the whole concept of normalization is completely bogus and as much as it attempts to brings eras together it actually makes them more diverse due to the problems of WhatIfs normalization rules.

Consider that BA, SP, ERA, WHIP are normalized. But what about HR, SB, IP, SO, etc? Maybe some of them are now, but since I have a year ago due to these discrepancies I wouldn't know and apologize if things have changed. The fact is if you don't normalize every stat, then normalizing any is stupid.

This creates a whole can of worms that would make the real life stats of players virtually worthless. If the 21 Ruth is truly normalized properly for HRs it would blow his stats out of the water and make the whole concept ridiculous. It also really plays into what many die hards of the site hate, ratings for each stat. But lets be honest, with normalization, every stat that is normalized is truly converted to a rating. After all, you don't really know what the true stat is. You only know the original stat and a "factor". Yippee!!

Maybe the site is better than it used to be when Silver King or Tony Phillips or Allie Reynolds or Willie Wilson dominated WS titles but it doesn't mean that the site is good when Brett Butler's are winning MVPs, as was the case in my last league.

BTW - I'm sure this will insight a great deal of criticism. As Jesus once said - "Bring it on"
10/21/2009 3:43 AM
"Ozzie would be one of the best fielders under any conceivable playing conditions."
Are you kidding?? Have you ever played baseball? Try playing on a field that's not groomed well with divots and stones. Then on top of it add a glove that can barely hold a ball. Balls would be bouncing through any great fielders legs. Any hard hit ball would be a tough out. Now a days you have superb equipment, superb field conditions and players who work tirelessly on their defense, especially at SS. That's not true of 1888!
10/21/2009 7:44 AM

Try catching with this
10/21/2009 7:49 AM
Quote: Originally Posted By thats_nice on 10/21/2009"Ozzie would be one of the best fielders under any conceivable playing conditions."
Are you kidding?? Have you ever played baseball? Try playing on a field that's not groomed well with divots and stones. Then on top of it add a glove that can barely hold a ball. Balls would be bouncing through any great fielders legs. Any hard hit ball would be a tough out. Now a days you have superb equipment, superb field conditions and players who work tirelessly on their defense, especially at SS. That's not true of 1888!
Your missing the point. He'd still be one of the best because they ALL play under those conditions. You tell me what era B.Ruth, T.Cobb, H.Wagner, B.Gibson would struggle in? Answer is they wouldn't. How we play baseball has changed through the years, but what made those players great, stays the same. Those players could see/throw/field better than most.

Your also making my overall point. As someone else mentioned only some stats are normalized. If those players from the 1800's played on today's manicured fields with good gloves, would they make the same # of errors? Would B.Caruthers pitch 698 innings for a team in 2009? Instead of focusing on my specific points ( ie 4 man rotation ) try to understand my overall point. WIS can still accomplish what they say this game should be, there just not their yet ( and some of it, seems like a no brainer to me )

99% of new people that come here are expecting a baseball sim that you can match up players from different era's and compete. In both leagues I've been in or from reading on the boards, the same thing happens. Noob A drafts a team with a mixture of new and old players from their favorite MLB teams ( staying with players they've watched themselves over their lifetime ) Noob A get's CRUSHED, bye bye Noob A . Noob B watches and learns and tries to figure out what went wrong, most likely cuts and pastes a new team from the league leaders they just got crushed by. I'm a Noob C, I spent a week just reading the forums before I even entered a real team, played an exhibition, made the playoffs, got bounced in the second round by someone pitching the same two pitchers every other game.

BTW - God already has played in the majors, his name was Barry Bonds, don't belive me, just go ask him.
10/21/2009 8:29 AM
◂ Prev 1...3|4|5|6|7 Next ▸
Happy about the update. Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.