MLD World Thread #2 Topic

i don't mind the ten years and done rule, though it does make it more difficult if players are traded (who are only allowed ten years as they can't be an FP).  though a way to fix that would be to start a traded player thread that verifies their start season for each player traded.  though i'm not entirely sure how much difference this would make anyways.  you could still warehouse a player for a few years before their rookie season.  and then sit them for four seasons in between as well.  how many players are actually playing more than ten seasons currently after their first?  :>
2/23/2012 11:23 AM
I'm also fine with eliminating the non-playoff team bonus of +3.
As far as eliminating warehousing of players, I feel the 20 game played rule to be eligible for the playoffs is a great idea. But if owners are still warehousing players, the only way around that may be to increase a players salary every year regardless of how many games they have or have not played. Once the player is drafted, the clock starts ticking on his salary. You will probably have to increase eligible seasons by at least one year though, as if you retire 6 players per year, you will turn over your entire roster (with having 1 FP) every 6 seasons. So I think you may need to increase a players eligibility to 7 or 8 seasons at least. One other good thing about this is that it should bring back parity to the league, as all teams will be turning over players at a more rapid rate.
Just a thought, as I'm fairly new to the league and will go with whatever you decide.
2/23/2012 1:11 PM
Good thoughts, but I also see the viewpoint that if you take away warehousing you leave almost no strategic decision making to the owners. You would just play your best 20, and you wouldn't need a whole 15 extra roster spots.
2/23/2012 2:12 PM
But those extra spots would need to be guys who will eventually be playing because of the constant turnover, thus creating more parity.
2/23/2012 3:28 PM
I am totally against forced playing, as Damag and I have said it takes any decision making out of the GM's hand...that is why I trade so much because it is one way a GM can make some strategic moves that and being able to decide who plays when, if that is changed I would probably be done here, strategic decisions are the only thing that keeps it interesting.

If we got better players to draft with at least the first and second rounders able to play right away I would be less likely to keep a guy on the bench, who doesn't want a rookie that can help your team from the start?
2/23/2012 3:37 PM
My three cents:  Scrap the bonuses if you want ... in 30 seasons I doubt they have impacted Indianapolis with much significance.

Plan B is a non-starter for me ... I work extremely hard on maintaining my roster distribution and player development (all without warehousing essentially) and getting penalized to the tune of 20 skill points on a player I had been grooming for however long would **** me off to no end.  I too would likely take my ball and go home.

I would be against forcing us to play a player six striaght seasons and out, or ten straight and out, but I could see the benefit of implementing a "XX season total career regardless of GP" and out rule.  I thought it was a fantastic novelty when I still had a season 1 player on my roster in like season 24 or whatever it was, but it is unrealistic of course.  I think 10 seasons might be too small a number, but maybe 12???  I have occasions where one of my younger players will sit a season because he is no longer a Top 12 forward on my ranking system because he was eclipsed temporarily because of skill improvements of another player or because of players acquired by trade, and since I always ice my best team I would burn a year of that player's career without him even playing and that doesn't seem right.

Someone up there ^^^ compared the MLD to Canadian junior hockey, and I can see the similarities, but when I am running my team and thinking about my team I like to pretend it is a professional team and imposing a "junior player career" limitation idea would suck a lot of my fun out of this.

Just my three cents.
2/23/2012 4:42 PM (edited)
Let's get rid of the +3 non-playoff bonuses. This rule was implemented way back in the early years of the league, before players on non-playoff teams kept improving during playoffs. After this was changed with the new engine several seasons back, this old none-playoff helping-hand-rule should probably have been taken away at once. Surely time is come to do it now - so it should imo be no need to have a majority vote on this. Also seems like a great season to stop handing out the +3 bonus now - from end of season 30! Imagine that - the leauge is soon 30 seasons old:):):)
2/23/2012 5:42 PM (edited)
one way to do that corbs would be to have a "bonus" for all first round picks.  not a huge one, but big for the first six and then declining through the rounds.  maybe even drop the crosby bonus, and have the first six picks get a fifteen point bonus, the next six get a ten point bonus, the third six get a seven point bonus and the last six get a four point bonus to their first round pick or something.  the earlier picks should be able to use their first rounder right out of the gate.  as well as some of the 7-12 picks.  the others would have less wait time before their first rounders are useful.  also, without the crosby bonus, teams wouldn't be as likely to tank three seasons in a row.  something i intentionally took advantage of at one point.  :>
2/23/2012 4:38 PM
smeric, i'm not sure about other teams, but on my team i only have one player that has played more than ten seasons.  my FP.  he's had two stints of four years off.  and another single here and there.  he started in year 13.  he also started his career before i took over the team, so it might have been different if i was in control from the beginning.  i have one other player who will likely hit eleven seasons before he's done (possibly twelve).  the rest all project to ten and under currently. so i don't think a rule like that would make a lot of difference to the league anyways.  but i don't know how other teams operate either.  :>
2/23/2012 4:45 PM
I'm not sure I've even iced a 1st round pick in his draft year
2/23/2012 4:46 PM
As for warehousing - the big issue before was stacking up for playoffs - that was tackled and resolved implementing the 19+ regular season games rule. Problem solved. Surely the new era thing now is either going-for-it or not-going-for-it. Only a few GMs (maybe only 2) have not been doing some heavy rebuilding now and then, including having some vets relaxing down in the minors for a while. If we come up with a good solution to tackle this also, that is fair and makes sense, I'm sure we could have all GMs (or at least most of us) on board accepting a new tweak. But I think this probably needs all GMs to speak their mind, when we have at least a couple of good options on the table. I for one will accept doing something new to limit warehousing if we have a majority vote on it.
2/23/2012 5:03 PM (edited)
I'd just like to point out one thing, I'm not sure many or any of our ownership dislikes the "go for it or not" dynamic. Seems to me we've all accepted the league this way. I'm not sure it needs to be scrapped, maybe just modified if anything.

Talent wins games... didn't always use to be that way... and no matter what we do that's not going to change, and we're going to exploit whatever can be exploited next.
2/23/2012 5:01 PM
As okp suggested however, it would be good if the opposite of going for it didn't seem to end up being taking the season off.
2/23/2012 5:04 PM
I have a suggestion in mind but I'm really deliberating it before I bring it up, dry running it in my mind.
2/23/2012 5:06 PM
Posted by damag on 2/23/2012 5:04:00 PM (view original):
As okp suggested however, it would be good if the opposite of going for it didn't seem to end up being taking the season off.

2/23/2012 5:14 PM (edited)
◂ Prev 1...56|57|58|59|60...63 Next ▸
MLD World Thread #2 Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.