WKRP Radio (or How to Rebuild a Disaster) Topic

If a guy is playing out of position, say one of his secondary positions, will his performance suffer? I ask this because I've got 3 at SS, and they all have the ability to play any IF position. If one played third, would he under perform?
3/2/2008 12:41 PM
Quote: Originally posted by tyd2k1 on 3/02/2008If a guy is playing out of position, say one of his secondary positions, will his performance suffer? I ask this because I've got 3 at SS, and they all have the ability to play any IF position. If one played third, would he under perform?

No, playing a guy at a legitimate position that is secondary for him will not cause any underperformance, and in fact will give you an added boost defensively. That said, prospects playing out of position will not develop their defensive skills as quickly or as well.
3/2/2008 3:36 PM
Thanks
3/2/2008 6:24 PM
bump
3/27/2008 4:59 PM
How come no update on the flytraps? They have a winning record, Les, Les?
3/27/2008 5:03 PM
This post could not be converted. To view the original post's thread, click here.
3/27/2008 5:48 PM
PLAYOFF TIME!!!!

The regular season is complete and for the first time in franchise history, the Flytraps finish with a winning record, 89-73. Even better, the 'traps are in the playoffs, getting the second wild card spot. Despite a magic number of 1 with 4 games to play, it wasnt until the second to last game of the season until we clinched. Unfortunately, that only gave me the final game of the season to rest players -- and due to being in a tough playoff fight all the way until the end, 7 of my starting 9 position players have fatigue in the mid-90s -- but with the playoffs on the line, I cut my pitching staff down to my top 4 starters and I revoked all days off.

As for the numbers on the season, the team was led offensively by Virgil Rodriguez, who hit only .277, but had 48 HR, 39 SB (just missing 40/40), and drove in 139 runs. Rookie catcher Eric Murphy, one of two Flytrap on the ROTY ballot, hit .295 and had 40 HR and 95 RBI. Dennis Delaney, who began the season on the bench, played the entire second half of the season in centerfield, batting .331. Five other players had over 15 home runs for Cincinnati as well. First base, which was a problem for the team offensively all season, was finally solved after September callups, when last year's starter, Tony Stanley, played the final month and hit 9 home runs in that short time. Stanley gets rewarded with not only a playoff roster spot, but the job of starting first baseman in the playoffs.

The starting pitching was extremely good for the 'traps this season. Julio Fuentes is a Cy Young finalist again, having posted an 18-11 record with a 2.88 ERA. Johnnie Price won 17 games, Luther Rupe won 9, and Pete Thornton won 10. Finally, rookie Emmanuel Martin became the second Flytrap on the ROTY ballot, going 15-9 with a 4.03 ERA. Martin will get the third starter job in the playoffs behind Fuentes and Price.

In the bullpen, the biggest move of the season was trading for David Gandarilla when Fernando Pena, the big free agent signing to be our closer, blew up. Ganadrilla went 25 for 25 in save chances, while posting a 1.42 ERA. Simply put, he was unhittable. Veterans Arthur French and Shannon Shields were the keys to setup, each posting sub-4.00 ERAs.

For the playoffs, I cut my pitching staff down to 11 pitchers. I use 3 starters, 3 long relievers, 4 setup and a closer. If it looks like a starter wont be at 100% for a game, I will let one of the long relievers start (my 4th and 5th starters and my best long reliever from the season get the 3 long relief spots). Cutting down to 11 pitchers lets me add one extra position player. I will usually increase the Call Bullpen ratings for most of my pitchers so that they get pulled if they struggle. Finally, I make certain to turn the use of Player Rest off entirely - if I am losing, even badly, I ant the shot to come back...and if I am winning, I dont want to let up and blow the game with backups. I intend to win or lose in the postseason with my best 9 guys on the field. (I do still use defensive replacements though).

Playoffs start tomorrow, and I get a 103 win Columbus team that won my division in the first round. Winning this series would be a huge upset, but I hope that I can ride my starting pitching and get a couple big hits -- if so, who knows what will happen?
4/5/2008 8:49 PM
Amazing, congrats C-wood. That team has come a really, really long way since you started. I wish there had been some more updates through the season, but even so, many, many props.
4/6/2008 12:30 AM
Quote: Originally posted by div1991 on 4/06/2008Amazing, congrats C-wood. That team has come a really, really long way since you started. I wish there had been some more updates through the season, but even so, many, many props.

Sorry about the lack of updates, but my team really started to play well right after I missed a couple of updates early in the season, and I decided that the updates were bringing me bad luck.
4/6/2008 9:03 AM
I think the flytraps owe a bigt thank you to the Toronto Toros. We knocked Vancouver aroud 3 out of 4 games in one of the last series of the season to help Cincy secure that 2nd wild card spot.
4/6/2008 11:50 AM
BREAKING NEWS: The Flytraps advance!

In a thrilling 5 game series, the Cincinnati Venus Flytraps have upset the mighty Columbus Clippers to advance to the second round of the playoffs. After Columbus won Game 1 fairly easily, beating Julio Fuentes, the 'traps exploded offensively in game 2, and got shutout pitching from Johnnie Price, winning amazingly 19-0. They carried the momentum through Game 3, a 4-3 victory behind rookie hurler Emmanuel Martin and another save by David Gandarilla. Columbus bounced back in game 4, winning 9-5 to force a fifth and deciding game in Columbus.

The Flytraps sent Julio Fuentes, despite his game 1 struggles, back to the mound for Game 5. And he simply proceeded to throw one of the greatest games in Addicted Users history, holding the Clippers to only 3 hits, and throwing a complete game shutout. He had no margin for error as the 'traps only managed 1 run, on an 8th inning RBI double by Virgil Rodriguez. But it was enough, and the 'traps advance to take on their second 103 win playoff opponent, this time the Minnesota Twinkies.
4/8/2008 2:07 PM
Congrats, cshewood. I know you're an attention 'ho of the highest magnitude but this was a good job.
I may resurrect my "Building Vegas" thread to steal some of your attention. We're 7 up for the WC with 7 . I could be clinching a spot tonight.
4/8/2008 2:36 PM
BREAKING NEWS: On to the LCS!!!!

The Cincinnati Venus Flytraps, completely unaware that a team this young with virtually no postseason experience is not supposed to be able to win playoff series, did it again against 103-game winner Minnesota. After getting beat pretty easily in Game 1 of the series, 9-1, the 'traps won the next three to advance to the league championship. Julio Fuentes threw a gem in game 2, only to be upstaged by a complete game 4 hit, 1 run pitching performance by rookie Emmanuel Martin in game 2. A solid job by Johnnie Price, and home runs from Virgil Rodriguez, Dennis Delaney and Marshall Ferrell, sealed the series victory in Game 4.

Toronto and Boise meet today in Game 5 of the other division series. The winner of that game will by the Flytraps' opponent in the Best of 7 LCS, which will begin tomorrow.
4/11/2008 9:17 AM
The Vegas Pit Boss start their first playoff game in franchise history in about 2 hours!!!
4/11/2008 9:34 AM
damn, talk about attention ho' - update your own thread!

Congrats csher.
4/11/2008 11:02 AM
◂ Prev 1...18|19|20|21|22...27 Next ▸
WKRP Radio (or How to Rebuild a Disaster) Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.