New Coaches Lounge (Season 18) Topic

pbarnet, that's basically correct. Passing conservative is more dump off passes (RB's and TE's tend to get lots of catches), aggressive is more down the field passes. The theory is that conservative leads to a better completion % and less turnovers, but fewer big plays, and vice versa. Running is almost the same, conservative is pounding between the tackles, aggressive is more on the edges, including end arounds, etc. If you have any follow up questions, feel free to ask here or sitemail me.
2/13/2007 11:58 AM
Thanks carpe, I'm going back to look at my settings and see what I might change...
2/13/2007 2:11 PM
I picked up a team that last season was running nothing but I-Formation it seems, and I want to get away from that.
How much does it hurt gameplay if you make such an abrupt change in practice-planning? Should I ease into a new game-plan or since this team isn't so great, just jump right into it.
3/3/2007 1:33 AM
I would suggest jumping right in. Other coaches have various thoughts on this topic, but when I take over, I always implement my system immediately.
3/4/2007 8:52 AM
I agree with Show. It takes a while for the team to run a new offense or defense at full effectiveness, but the sooner you try to implement your offense at full minutes in practice the sooner they will be fully effective at it...
3/4/2007 9:10 AM
building on this topic...what's the downside of changing into a new offensive (or defensive) formation the following season...i may consider changing to a new offensive formation based on the skill of my players, but i was worried about the downside since i have been running the same formations for about five seasons...do you build up skills by running the same system over time, or do you start from ground zero each season?
3/4/2007 4:05 PM
This post could not be converted. To view the original post's thread, click here.
3/18/2007 1:13 PM
thanks, scoob!
3/20/2007 10:41 PM
Quote: Originally Posted By scoobybud on 3/18/2007
Quote: Originally posted by chetty1963 on 3/04/2007 <DIV>building on this topic...what's the downside of changing into a new offensive (or defensive) formation the following season...i may consider changing to a new offensive formation based on the skill of my players, but i was worried about the downside since i have been running the same formations for about five seasons...do you build up skills by running the same system over time, or do you start from ground zero each season?

You do build up an IQ of sorts from running the same offensive or defensive formations, that being said I've taken over programs and ran entirely new formations than the previous coach and had very good success right off the bat. In a dev chat Jconte daid he wouldn't run a formation that he hadn't practiced at least 3 or 4 times. Just practice in exhibition and you will be fine. i see people run formations with no practice at all on occasions and have success

I agree, you can win immediately with a new set, but only if you have a good size talent gap. I feel it takes at least a full season of practice to make a team decent in a new set, so changing all of your sets at once is probably not the best of ideas.
3/21/2007 9:24 AM
What does "effective" and "distribution" mean on advanced depth chart options? New to the game and I forgot what it means from the tour.
12/24/2007 9:41 AM
'Effective' is directly related to a players stamina. As players play their effectiveness drops, from a starting point of 100%. When setting a players effectiveness, you're telling the SIM at what level you want a tiring player taken out of the game to rest on the bench.

'Distribution' works differently for QBs/RBs and WRs/TEs.

For QBs and RBs it determines what % of the time a player will be the ball carrier on run plays. For example, in I-form if you set your QB at 0, RB1 at 20 and RB2 at 10, your QB will carry the ball 0% (0/30) of the time, RB1 will carry the ball 66.6% of the time (20/30) and RB2 will carry the ball 33.3% (10/30) of the time. For WRs/TEs it is similar, but determines only who your QBs 'first read' will be. Ie who's the first player your QB looks to after hiking the ball. It's important to note that it only effects the QBs first read. Setting a WR/TEs distribution to 0 will not prevent your QB from passing to them.

For more information I suggest reading past developer chats:

WIS Developer Chats

For this particular issue, check out one of the more recent ones:

GD v2.0 - Part 1
12/24/2007 12:05 PM
How do you know what the previous coach ran?

Also, my team currently has 2 RB's. Obviously I will target additional backs during recruiting, but am I essentially forced into running a single back passing formation this season?
12/26/2007 3:13 AM
As far as I can tell, there is no way to find out what the previous coach ran, unless you can find him and ask him. In the case of a sim-coached team, they seem to generally run pro-set and I, but I have had used all six sets against me in a game once.
You are not necessarily forced into a single back set. I started 2 freshman RBs in a wishbone last year with some success. It depends upon what you can recruit, obviously, but sometimes you can get freshmen RBs who can contribute right away.
12/26/2007 7:22 AM
Thanks for the help.

Also, my team seems to have decent QB's, TE's, and WR's. Is it a mistake to practice TRIPS and SHOTGUN as my primary offensive formations?

I know that neither is a good running formation. Would I be better off dropping the TRIPS and running PRO SET for better balance, or can I tailor TRIPS so that I run out of it more often?
12/27/2007 1:11 PM
You can run out of trips. Many coaches have been successful doing it.
12/27/2007 9:53 PM
◂ Prev 1...4|5|6|7|8 Next ▸
New Coaches Lounge (Season 18) Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.