New Coaches Lounge (Perpetual) Topic

ahodge, sorry read your post probably too late...but there's some great information in the main GD forum...it's called GD Compass 101...i would suggest you read the posts there thoroughly and read anything you can on recruiting...outside of that, the only thing i can tell you is to 1) avoid battles (especially in your first few seasons), 2) and avoid needing AC recruits (AC signs players when you run out of money)
don't expect to work miracles overnight, read as much as you can and learn from your mistakes...if you have specific questions, pls sitemail me...have fun!
5/27/2007 11:15 PM
Question about exhibitions - I am at D-III, been in playoffs 2 of last 4 years. Got asked by a D-II school to play an exhibition. Wondering what the pro's and con's are of doing this? Are my players going to get hurt easier? Will they improve more? Why would a D-II want to play a D-III school anyway?
Thoughts are appreciated
5/31/2007 1:03 PM
Quote: Originally Posted By jjonkowski on 5/31/2007
Question about exhibitions - I am at D-III, been in playoffs 2 of last 4 years. Got asked by a D-II school to play an exhibition. Wondering what the pro's and con's are of doing this? Are my players going to get hurt easier? Will they improve more? Why would a D-II want to play a D-III school anyway?
Thoughts are appreciated
jj, no cons, really, except that you'll likely get beat. Otherwise, from what I've seen, no more or less risk of injury, or change in improvement. As for why, sometimes, if you can't get a game, and it's getting late, you might drop down a level. Or, you might just want to see your team have a good game, so they are confident for the start of the season
6/1/2007 6:12 PM
I'm making halftime adjustments but seem to be killed in 2nd half with Frostburg State team.
Any suggestions?
8/13/2007 11:09 AM
cybed, two issues I can see after a quick look:
1) lack of depth. 4 LBs and 6DBs leave you open to teams wearing you down in the 2nd half.
2) defensive sets. You are running the nickel against the I for sure, and getting pummled on the ground that way. To make matters worse, you are wearing out your DB's that much faster, so when your opponent DOES pass, he's doing it vs. tired DB's.
Feel free to sitemail me with further questions.
8/21/2007 2:14 PM
How do the rankings for each position determine the role a player is given. For example, is RB2...the number 2 back or the FB. What about WRs? Who is in the slot and who is the flanker? Most importantly, in the LB core and secondary, who is in the Mike position on the 3-4 defence and who plays against the top receiver.
If none of this matters I am dissappointed and a little confused. These are important aspects to playing football.
In case I miss your rersponse, please site mail me. Thanks for all the quality posts. Great thread. Word.
9/18/2007 3:38 PM
HOW DO I GET/FIRE ASST COACH ?? HE IS IN VEGAS GAMBLINHG
10/16/2007 1:37 AM
ha. I didnt realize guys would sign with places that recruited them but spent NO MONEY! What a waste. Next time Ill be better prepared for what is obviously a crucial part. Myh first GID team. an HBD vet
10/20/2007 4:30 PM
Quote: Originally Posted By jjonkowski on 5/31/2007
Thoughts are appreciated
One More question about exibition... how many games is it possible to play with the newcomers 0,1,2,3 ? and when should i challange/(accept challange) to have them play the game.
10/24/2007 3:15 PM
accept the challenge after the new recruits have reported to your team. You only have that one night to play the game before the regular season starts so don't delay (which answers your first question -- 1 game to play with newcomers).
10/24/2007 11:57 PM
Looking for some insight. Is it beneficial to adjust your practice plan every day or should i leave it after I set once. Also on defense is conservative zone or just keep em in front of you so i dont get burned. What does anyone think is the best "D" to stop a trips set who run/pass is 2/1? And if the team your playing is a little better than you all the way around and they pass 60-70% of the time what "D" is best. Any help would be apprectiated.
10/30/2007 9:05 PM
Quote: Originally Posted By kpersley73 on 10/30/2007

Looking for some insight. Is it beneficial to adjust your practice plan every day or should i leave it after I set once. Also on defense is conservative zone or just keep em in front of you so i dont get burned. What does anyone think is the best "D" to stop a trips set who run/pass is 2/1? And if the team your playing is a little better than you all the way around and they pass 60-70% of the time what "D" is best. Any help would be apprectiated.
For Practice: it is best to leave it as is for both position and formation, especially position where you should always have what you believe to be the most effective distribution for each particular position. There are some who alternate how much time is spent on a certain category for a position such as TE where virtually every skill should be practiced except for kicking and punting. For formations, the same is true, figure out which formations you want your team to focus on and leave it at that. Generally its a minimum of 2 offensive and 2 defensive especially for a beginner. Some coaches run 4 or 5 offensive sets, but don't necessarily practice them all which is ok. As for which formations are practiced - that shouldn't change - but how LONG you spend practicing can change as the year goes on. Some coaches like to start at maybe 10 minutes on a formation, especially if its new to the team, and then after game 6 or 7 go down to 7 minutes and throw those extra 3 minutes into Special teams or even use them to add to the individual practice times. It can vary and you shouldn't be wary about changing to whatever you see fit. For practical purposes GD Support has said that anything less than 6 or 7 minutes practiced for positional skills won't result in much of an increase and will only keep that skill from dropping.

As for your other questions, they are basically the fundamental questions about how GD works, meaning some coaches won't be willing to share their secrets and others may only think they know what works best. The only real answer is to use what the FAQ gives you and use process of elimination to find out what works best for you. For instance in regards to your defending trips that run alot but not always, you could play a conservative run/balanced 4-3 to get an extra DL in the game but have your LB's playing back a little in case of a pass or you could play a Nickel Heavy Run which would give you 6 in the box but closer to the line of scrimmage. Again, you'll get some coaches that think one or both of those options are great or are terrible. but both are logical considering what the FAQ tells you about personnel in each formation and what aggressive/conservative means in terms of defense. As a rule or baseline to work from both in terms of practice time and game play. Start with using the 4-4 as a defense against running formations and a Nickel against passing formations. This is what most coaches start with and continue to use. Mix it up and find out what works best for you and the players you have.

Check out some of the Newbie advice threads in the main forum using the forum search function and also read all of the developer chats under the drop down menu under WIS at the top of this page. good luck.
10/30/2007 9:46 PM
I am new to Sim games and am starting my first season. I have read all the newbie advice I can find on the forums but I still have a question on recruiting. The general advice is to avoid battles and to wait out the initial signing period. Does this mean I should spend nothing until that first signing period has passed and then jump on everything that is and not being recruited by other schools? Also, if the only team(s) recruiting a player I am interested in is a Sim-run team, should I still avoid the battle?
Thanks in advance for any help/mentoring
11/22/2007 2:09 PM
Quote: Originally Posted By bpdelia on 10/20/2007ha. I didnt realize guys would sign with places that recruited them but spent NO MONEY!
It doesn't work that way. What are you reading from?
11/23/2007 6:08 PM
Quote: Originally Posted By foodsnob on 11/22/2007
I have read all the newbie advice I can find on the forums but I still have a question on recruiting. The general advice is to (1) avoid battles, and (2) to wait out the initial signing period.
That is 50% good advice. You certainly do want to avoid battles.
11/23/2007 6:12 PM
◂ Prev 1...6|7|8|9|10|11 Next ▸
New Coaches Lounge (Perpetual) Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.