New Coaches Lounge (Perpetual) Topic

What is the minimum you guys will settle for in the ratings of a recruit's “core” attributes when your recruiting players?Myself, I was looking for nothing less than 35 but I’m beginning to wonder if that’s too low.
8/18/2006 6:25 PM
Shamu, on the D3 level this is what I always used when making my recruiting sheets:
QB: Minimum 30 in Strength, GI, and Technique
RB: Minimum 35 in Strength, minimum 45 in speed and elusiveness
WR: Minimum 40 in speed, elusiveness, and hands. On D3 I NEVER looked at technique because I wanted some playmakers
TE: Minimum 30 in strength, speed, hands, blocking, technique, and elusiveness (there is a lot I like to have in a TE)
OL. Minimum 45 in strength and block. Minimum 40 in technique
DL: Minimum 45 in strength and tackling. Minimum 40 in technique
LB: Minimum 30 in athleticism, speed, strength, tackling, GI, and technique. But, I do value tackling and GI more (like TE a lot I like to have with a LB)
DB: This is where I differ from most people. Most D3 coaches focus way too much on speed, more so than GI and Technique. If you can find a guy with 40+ speed, GI, and Technique, he will be a beast by the time he graduates. I put 30 as my low in all three of those areas
K/P: Minimum of 35 in GI, Strength, and QB
I put everyone within 250 miles in the Medium setting. And everyone outside of 250 miles in the Low setting. Then I put the superstars out of both groups on the high settings.
8/18/2006 7:15 PM
Quote: Originally Posted By michaeldartt on 8/18/2006
Shamu, on the D3 level this is what I always used when making my recruiting sheets:
WR: Minimum 40 in speed, elusiveness, and hands. On D3 I NEVER looked at technique because I wanted some playmakers
TE: Minimum 30 in strength, speed, hands, blocking, technique, and elusiveness (there is a lot I like to have in a TE)
LB: Minimum 30 in athleticism, speed, strength, tackling, GI, and technique. But, I do value tackling and GI more (like TE a lot I like to have with a LB)
DB: This is where I differ from most people. Most D3 coaches focus way too much on speed, more so than GI and Technique. If you can find a guy with 40+ speed, GI, and Technique, he will be a beast by the time he graduates. I put 30 as my low in all three of those areas
I put everyone within 250 miles in the Medium setting. And everyone outside of 250 miles in the Low setting. Then I put the superstars out of both groups on the high settings.
To piggyback on what michael said, I'd add:

RB- Minimum 30 hands, minimum 30 Ath, and at this point, I have strength almost on par with Elu and Spd

For what it's worth I focus heavily on GI in QB, LB and DB, even to the detriment of the other "core" stats. I'd rather have a QB with 20 Str, 45 GI and 35 tech than one that was 35/35/35.... Same for DB (better a 30 Spd, 45 GI, 30 tech than a 35/35/35
8/18/2006 8:21 PM
I would like to know the secret to landing recruits. This is my 6th season and each time I've sucked at being able to land players. I try to recruit locally and typically don't go after the top ranked players and I still end up blowing the budget and only get 1 or 2 of the 10 to 12 I'm going after. It seems like it takes $1k to $2k to get a player to consider me and then I find myself out of money when signing starts and unable to close the deal. any advice would be greatly appreciated.
8/18/2006 9:17 PM
Quote: Originally Posted By carpediem33 on 8/18/2006
Quote: Originally Posted By michaeldartt on 8/18/2006

To piggyback on what michael said, I'd add:

RB- Minimum 30 hands, minimum 30 Ath, and at this point, I have strength almost on par with Elu and Spd

For what it's worth I focus heavily on GI in QB, LB and DB, even to the detriment of the other "core" stats. I'd rather have a QB with 20 Str, 45 GI and 35 tech than one that was 35/35/35.... Same for DB (better a 30 Spd, 45 GI, 30 tech than a 35/35/35

I agree with the QB GI rating. I will go after the highest GI I can get while keeping at least a 60 combined Str and Tech.

I would also add to not get too concerned on some of those numbers above. If you do not have a 10 win DIII team it might be hard to find players that match those stats. The thing to do is keep the logic behind those numbers with you.

Example: "OL. Minimum 45 in strength and block. Minimum 40 in technique." Read this as look for the best Str and block you can find with a decent tech as well. Sacrifice some tech for more str and blocking, but never the other way.
8/18/2006 10:57 PM
Clavols....YOU GOT MAIL!!!!!
8/18/2006 10:59 PM
clavols, in my opinion, it is important at the DIII level to take recruiting one step at a time.
-Don't get into a recruiting battle unless you have a combination of advantages - i.e. you're closer to the recruit, you have a higher prestige, and you have more money. Even if you have all three things going for you, you'll still probably drop more than $3K per scholarship and quickly go broke.
-At an elite DIA school, if I have 15 scholarships to fill, I immediately go after 10+ people. At a DIII school with 15 schollies to fill, I might only go after 3 or 4 right out of the gate. This makes your recruiting more efficient, you don't go around wasting money on guys who are higher priorities for somebody else.
Hope this helps, I'm not sure where you're going wrong, but maybe I covered it.
8/18/2006 11:16 PM
Quote: Originally Posted By reeeems on 8/18/2006
clavols, in my opinion, it is important at the DIII level to take recruiting one step at a time.
-Don't get into a recruiting battle unless you have a combination of advantages - i.e. you're closer to the recruit, you have a higher prestige, and you have more money. Even if you have all three things going for you, you'll still probably drop more than $3K per scholarship and quickly go broke.
-At an elite DIA school, if I have 15 scholarships to fill, I immediately go after 10+ people. At a DIII school with 15 schollies to fill, I might only go after 3 or 4 right out of the gate. This makes your recruiting more efficient, you don't go around wasting money on guys who are higher priorities for somebody else.
Bingo, I've been preaching this in these forums for almost two years. I have heard people tell me that it is wrong, someone once said that I was only trying to get more recruits for myself, I'm not sure what I would want with DIII recruits, but it is the best piece of recruiting advice that I know!!!
8/18/2006 11:28 PM
Quote: Originally Posted By tommy_cian on 8/18/2006
Quote: Originally Posted By reeeems on 8/18/2006

Bingo, I've been preaching this in these forums for almost two years. I have heard people tell me that it is wrong, someone once said that I was only trying to get more recruits for myself, I'm not sure what I would want with DIII recruits, but it is the best piece of recruiting advice that I know!!

Agreed. I don't know if I would go after 3 or 4 with 15 to fill, but at DIII I would not go after more than half that i need to fill, so for 15 I would not go over 7 out of the gate.
8/18/2006 11:36 PM
You are probably right in year 2 or 3, but in yer one I would say 4, then wait till the morning of signings and if you are doing well, target 4 more. After signing start, target 4 more. Then your last three one at a time till you run out of money.
8/19/2006 12:30 AM
Quote: Originally Posted By tommy_cian on 8/19/2006
You are probably right in year 2 or 3, but in yer one I would say 4, then wait till the morning of signings and if you are doing well, target 4 more. After signing start, target 4 more. Then your last three one at a time till you run out of money.
You are correct. In year one I might be inclinded to tell them to stay out of the recruiting until after the first cycle and then target 3 or 4 undecided guys.
8/19/2006 3:32 AM
OK, I'm going to ask a defensive question - if talent levels and core stats are roughly equal, how do you defend the ND Box (or Wishbone, for that matter) when your opponent does nothing but run, and your primary D is the 4-4? Has anyone seen an appreciable difference between Conservative and Aggressive settings?
8/19/2006 5:39 PM
Quote: Originally Posted By rollotomasi on 8/19/2006

OK, I'm going to ask a defensive question - if talent levels and core stats are roughly equal, how do you defend the ND Box (or Wishbone, for that matter) when your opponent does nothing but run, and your primary D is the 4-4? Has anyone seen an appreciable difference between Conservative and Aggressive settings?
I pretty much always use 4-4/Always Run/Aggressive. However, Cravedogg's team was severly undermatched one year in Bryant, in the same situation, and I think he played Very Conservative to upset the defending National Champs.
8/19/2006 8:06 PM
Quote: Originally Posted By michaeldartt on 8/19/2006

I pretty much always use 4-4/Always Run/Aggressive. However, Cravedogg's team was severly undermatched one year in Bryant, in the same situation, and I think he played Very Conservative to upset the defending National Champs.
Hey Michael, thanks for the props.

Here are sum moore details:

My DL was undermanned by at leest 10 points in strength, technique, and takkling versus blocking. So eye figured I kould not stop him straight upp. I played very conservative on all defense playes, every down, and every distanse. What happened was he wood gain a consistent 4 to 5 yards most of the game, but every once in a while I could limit him to 1 or 2 yards. I also played 1 set of players in the first half and a second set of players in the second half thinking depth kould help mee. The other teem steal ran for over 300 yards but I forced him to punt a couple of times.

Defense was only half of it, my offensive game plan also helped pull off what I still consider one of my biger upsets.
8/19/2006 8:28 PM
Quote: Originally Posted By cravedogg on 8/19/2006
Quote: Originally Posted By michaeldartt on 8/19/2006

Hey Michael, thanks for the props.

Here are sum moore details:

My DL was undermanned by at leest 10 points in strength, technique, and takkling versus blocking. So eye figured I kould not stop him straight upp. I played very conservative on all defense playes, every down, and every distanse. What happened was he wood gain a consistent 4 to 5 yards most of the game, but every once in a while I could limit him to 1 or 2 yards. I also played 1 set of players in the first half and a second set of players in the second half thinking depth kould help mee. The other teem steal ran for over 300 yards but I forced him to punt a couple of times.

Defense was only half of it, my offensive game plan also helped pull off what I still consider one of my biger upsets.
I play more like michael suggested with the aggressive setting and have seen some of the same resulsts crave was describing... some bigger runs but then a 2 yard run, 3 yard run, and an incomplete 3rd down pass... hello punt. This game really comes down to not punting yourself and forcing your opponent into 1 or 2.

I know if I can only punt 20 times or less a season I'm going to win a lot of games. Last season I punted 17 times.

8/19/2006 10:07 PM
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4...11 Next ▸
New Coaches Lounge (Perpetual) Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.