Things we’ve learned in Aaron/Ruth Topic

Has anyone learned the long-term effects of going to arbitration vs. signing a key player to a long-term deal? Will the asking price be higher later? Does he get upset and make it difficult to sign him later? Is there no effect beyond the stats/situation at the time of the decision each year? Thanks!
12/30/2007 11:33 PM
Quote: Originally Posted By mgccpro on 12/31/2007
Has anyone learned the long-term effects of going to arbitration vs. signing a key player to a long-term deal? Will the asking price be higher later? Does he get upset and make it difficult to sign him later? Is there no effect beyond the stats/situation at the time of the decision each year? Thanks!
Yes
1/4/2008 2:28 PM
I am new to hbd, the team I am taking over seems to be short on players in the minor leagues,especialy in the lower levels. I went and checked the draft results from previous seasons and the guy before me only signed 2 players from the previous draft and 5 from the year before that, is there a way for me to stock those lower level teams? the season hasnt started yet so maybe I am missing something. Also, when looking at player ratings of players in the minors are those numbers how they would perform in the major league or at the current level they are at? thanks
1/15/2008 10:07 PM
At the start of the season, you don't need any players at the rookie level - promote them all to fill your Low A roster. I have filled othger levels with minor league free agents - they cost about $54,000 each generally and will help fill space until a few of your draft classes start to populate your minors
2/1/2008 1:08 PM
You can also trade a mid level 60ish rated minor leaguer who you know has no chance to play on your ML team to a team for a package of 2 or 3 lower rated minor leaguers...People will take a projected rated guy of 62 ovr for two 50ish rated guys and a 40...none of the 4 players in the deal will make it to the ML but youll increase your numbers.
2/1/2008 4:24 PM
Is there a way to sign a player to a long-term deal if he's not yet arbitration eligible?
2/8/2008 10:02 PM
Nope. Why would you want to ? You get him cheap for years no matter how good he is. If he is a monster, lock him up the 1st year he is eligible, or year 1 of arbitration. Arbitration year 1 salary request is usually lower than year 2 of arb.
2/9/2008 10:25 AM
I just finished up a four-game series to begin my season... I have an off-day before I start the next series. Provided I am using a five-man rotation, will my #1 starter be on the mound for the opener of new series? In other words, will the rotation setting automatically skip my #5 with the off-day?
2/11/2008 12:53 PM
No. Your #5 will pitch.
2/11/2008 2:14 PM
Quote: Originally Posted By domiisgod on 2/01/2008
You can also trade a mid level 60ish rated minor leaguer who you know has no chance to play on your ML team to a team for a package of 2 or 3 lower rated minor leaguers...People will take a projected rated guy of 62 ovr for two 50ish rated guys and a 40...none of the 4 players in the deal will make it to the ML but youll increase your numbers.
Well... maybe that's true in most cases, but I have a 34 year old backup catcher in the big leagues with a 43 overall rating. He is hitting .310, .356, .385 at Comerica. He's playing for minimum salary and is good enough defesively to keep around. My point is, that overall rating may not be as big of an issue if you can find the proper "role" for your player.
2/13/2008 11:34 AM
Quote: Originally Posted By mcgupp on 6/17/2006
I have a starter witha 3 durability 79 stamina, will this guy be able to recover to pitch every 5 days? He's been solid in spring training so far after his last outing 3innings 40 -45 pittches he was at 20% for a day but then back to 100% the next day. Any advice would be appreciated.
I had a 0. Good SP too. I would pitch him 1 emergency start and put him on the inactive list for a couple of weeks. He only got about 3 or 4 starts and I dumped him after 1 season. He pitched well when he did pitch though.
2/18/2008 1:34 PM
Another question... during spring training, I signed a minor league free agent with some big league experience, who I intended to stash in AAA for insurance. Lo and behold, I had an injury and was forced to add him to the 40-man and big league roster. I do not want him to be automatically renewed at $327K for next season... will he be, or are minor league free agents only signed for a single year?
2/18/2008 1:55 PM
A player cannot go down in salary, upon a demotion. HE will renew at 327k.
2/18/2008 7:08 PM
No, I know that... I just don't want him next year. Will removing him from my 40-man at the end of next season make him a free-agent?
2/18/2008 7:51 PM
If you dont want him next year, just release him after the season.
2/19/2008 3:27 PM
◂ Prev 1...38|39|40|41|42|43 Next ▸
Things we’ve learned in Aaron/Ruth Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.